jointing biscuits how many and which brand

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hello ALL,

I just signed up here. Nice to see a civilised forum in action.
I have one question which I have wanted to ask for a little while:-
Well, its more like 5 in one.

Until recently, I had not heard much about biscuits so I am curious about the following:-

1)Which brands are best/worst, how much, best companies to buy from and, for my curiosity, how many do you use yourselves?

EDIT removed silly face in wrong place. doh

Hi Woodenman
Welcome to the forum!
I have used biscuits from trend and Lamello-both have been fine.
Hope this helps
Philly :D

Hi Woodenman,

Welcome to the forum. :D

I am a cheap skate compared to Philly and have good things to report on the biscuits from Screwfix. :roll:

Hi Woodenman

Welcome to UKW. Good to have you onboard.

I'm still working through the free Makita and Trend biscuits that I received. I've only used the Trend and they're fine.

Cheers
Neil

PS I think it was GWW that voted the Anzac biscuits the best workshop biscuit for dunking.

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Furniture: I use Tanselli biscuits, about 3,000 last year, mainly #20s. They seem to swell a bit less than some of the cheaper biscuits which means they telegraph through to the surface a bit less. I've used Lamello and Kaiser in the past - just as good, just not British! You tend to get a better joint if you have a biscuit joint glie bottle/spreader (cleaner, too)

Tea: I use McVitie's (Whomeal Digestive - Rich Tea is too wimpy)

Scrit

Same as Scrit, I use Tanselli, mostly No 10s. Generally I find one per slot about the right amount :D

Well about 1000 per year bepending on what type of work I'm doing. Usually get them by the box from Axminster. Make sure you keep them in a dry place and sealed from the air.

Jason

jasonB":kbu7njcw said:
Make sure you keep them in a dry place and sealed from the air.
I'll second Jason on that! Even though Tansellis come in bags I still keep the bags in the original boxes, the boxes inside another sealed bag and those bags inside a well sealed and dry cupboard - paranoid or what? I still keep a pair of pincers handy on the side when doing a glue up just in case I get one that doesn't fit right.

Anyone here have preferences for glues/glue applicators? I use a Lamello Dosicol, but it was r*ddy expensive :evil: and has to be washed-out each day because I use a D3 cross-linked PVA dowel glue (thinner consistency than conventional PVA - which I use for dowelling) :roll: It's my second - I let the glue dry in the first :oops: I certainly wouldn't take it outside of the workshop. I was wondering about the low-cost bottles such as the Freud G100F for site installation work, etc. Any comments?

Also have any of the professionals here tried the Pizzi or JKO/Lamello pressure glue delivery systems. Just wondering because I have a Kremlin pressure pot going spare.....

Scrit

I use Trend no 20 mostly and found out the hard way about keeping them in a dry place #-o
I keep meaning to get a bikkie glue applicator pot but keep forgetting to order one , not sure what a pressure glue delivery system is scrit but it sounds good :lol:

I mostly use Titebond II just a squirt & brush job but like JFC will get round to buing a cheapy biscuit gluer. I have got one of the Axminster ones with a roller on that works well.

Saw a review of the Lamello system in F&C a while back, lot of outlay unless you are glueing all day, probably better for a workshop with several people who can use it rather than just one man on his own.

JFC this is the system

Jason

Welcome to the forum Woodenman

I got 1000 DeWalt biscuits with my jointer and they seemed fine. I've got other ones at the moment but I can't remember the maker.

Cheers

JFC":2p93udl5 said:
not sure what a pressure glue delivery system is scrit but it sounds good
They're a pressure pot, rather like the industrial spay guys use but attached to a glue gun rather than a spray gun APTC does one (the Lamello LK) which is expensive, although I've seen Pizzis around in a few bigger shops.

Has anyone ever had the telegraphing experience you read so much of on US fora? It's where the shape of the biscuit telegraphs through the material and shows up when you are finishing as a biscuit-shaped hollow? - probably caused by heavy sanding too soon after drying, but I'm just curious.

Scrit

Never had a problem with the biscuits ghosting through, just keep them well below the surface and give the glue/moisture time to dry out. Only time I get the bickies showing is when I put them too close to the edge and cut through them when trimming a glued up panel to size :(

Jason

Never had that problem scrit and never heard of it . Maybe they are using hot glue ? I know a hot cup of tea makes mdf swell .

jasonB":2md5w8lj said:
Only time I get the bickies showing is when I put them too close to the edge and cut through them when trimming a glued up panel to size :(

Likewise! :oops:

Another vote for the Screwfix ones.

Probably only make something with biscuits about four times a year - but very handy to have the option!

And welcome to the "civilised" forum :D :D

Andrew

I use DeWalt and Lamelo biscuits, I keep them in food storage boxes with a couple of packs of desiccant to keep them dry.

I tried a cheap glue applicator from Axminster but the glue feed hole was too small and it was slower than using glue and a brush. Now I've got the Dosicol which works brilliantly, but as Scrit finds, it takes a while to clean out so I only use it if I have a big job on.

I have recently started using Titebond3 with biscuits because it has a thinner consistency than most other glues.

Keith

Keith Smith":3p42kpgk said:
I tried a cheap glue applicator from Axminster but the glue feed hole was too small and it was slower than using glue and a brush.

I had this problem with a roller dispenser from Axminster. I drilled the hole out, and it now works fine.

Chris, I use this glue and the open time seems a little less than my 'off the shelf' bostik white wood glue. The titebond is much thinner in consistency

As foir biscuits, I have found no difference between any I have purchased and so use any - but only once or twice a year to be fair

Latest posts

Back