jointing biscuits how many and which brand

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a point of interest had anyone heard that Hermann Steiner, the founder of Lamello (and inventor of biscuit joinery) died last month?

Scrit

Scrit":1ow9g8ds said:
As a point of interest had anyone heard that Hermann Steiner, the founder of Lamello (and inventor of biscuit joinery) died last month?
Presumably no-one will be admiring the dovetails on his coffin... :wink:

waterhead37":3391geci said:
Keith,
What is the open time like with this glue?

Chris I must admit I've never timed it and of course it does depend on the absorbency of the material, temperature etc. as a guess about 5 minutes, but once the joint is cramped up then it goes off very quickly. Of course the major factor with biscuiting is the fact the biscuit swells once it gets glue on it so you are more limited time-wise by using a "wet" glue like Titebond3 rather than a more viscous offering.

The main drawback with Titebond3 for me is it dries so dark, I glued some oak up yesterday, thought I was using Titebond2 but picked up the 3 by mistake, and I could see the glue line when it went off #-o .

As for poor Hermann, I'd didn't know, thats the problem with society now, if he had been a useless twerp on some TV show it would have been front page news for days.

Keith

Alf":3vj5kfcx said:
Scrit":3vj5kfcx said:
Presumably no-one will be admiring the dovetails on his coffin... :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

martyn

You know, what I cannot understand is why so many people think that Titebond is the be all and end all. Sorry, guys, but I have a bit of an Eco-problem when it comes to importing starch all the way from the USA - and fundamentally polyvinyl acetate or aliphatic resin (to give its marketing inspired name) is only a modified starch. If Titebond were so wonderful it would be on the shelf of every trade and industrial shop you visited. Personally, I've not seen it in one. So why, please? :-k

Scrit

Scrit wrote:

If Titebond were so wonderful it would be on the shelf of every trade and industrial shop you visited. Personally, I've not seen it in one. So why, please?

The power of marketing?

David

JFC":249rdin4 said:
Never had that problem scrit and never heard of it.
Neither have I, but its raised its head on Knots (Taunton's site) many, many times. Hence my curiosity

Scrit

Scrit,
I won't argue with your generalised escription of PVA glues, however, they do behave differently in practice. For example Titebond 1 grabs quicker and dries far harder than Evostick Resin W.

I daresay that one can buy dozens of specially formulated PVAs here that also have different characteristics - I use one myself for vacuum veneering. However, they are not marketed to individuals with enough information to be useful or in pack sizes that encourage experimentation.

I have on occasion had cause to seek a particular glue from a couple of local adhesive manufacturers/blenders and whilst they have been very helpful, it is clear that they don't aim at a market of small users.

Scrit,

I have just drifted into using it, it appears (to me) to be more "sticky" than traditional PVA. I bought some to try it and have been using it ,particularly for biscuiting, ever since.

Is it really any better? I don't know :?

Keith

I also find it stickier and it grabs quicker. Also it dries harder which makes for easier sanding and less creap when laminating curved work.

Also love the bottle tops although I now buy by the gallon and transfer into the 8oz bottles ( BTW PVA in the same bottles does not work).

Jason

For Storage I use glass jars, keeps them nice and dry, makes rough stock checks quicker. :D
Dscn3987s.jpg

And I am a coffee drinker, I now its not very english but I cannot stand tea, one of the few things I really don't like. :x

trevtheturner":116oatu1 said:
See you've been raiding the stock of preserving jars from the kitchen then, Dave. :wink: :lol:
Oh no, I bought those for the shop if you please, take things from the Kitchen indeed! :shock: :wink:

Hi Woodenman,

I'm very happy with Makita ones I have at the moment. Just been using them on 18mm ply so far. Have no problems, despite putting some within 3-4mm of board edge.

Good luck with your choice, Nick

It wasn't until I made the Library Chair [yes, the one on the left] that I realised just what people when they said the biscuits are prone to 'swelling' after the glue has set.

The effects still aren't visible on the surface, even from a close distance. But run your hand over some areas and you may notice a slight difference.

I remember reading in Good Woodworking that microwaving swollen bisuits for a short time can help reduce the swelling, but I've not tried it myself.

I do like that coffee jar idea, I'll have to try it myself. With the bag of Trend biscuits I have I did notice a few odd ones in and amongst an otherwise regulated thickness...

(I'm the complete opposite though - a TEA man who cannot stand coffee! That's one thing I really hate, the smell doesn't go away either. :? )

Back