jointers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I am thinking of purchasing a jointer along with the delta thicknesser but i don't know which one to go for i have been looking at the rexon 6 inch model in B&Q currently at £149 but i have also considered the perform model after reading Charlies review and then i was reading the woodworker when out jumped the maffel ad160 which is a combo please help im open to suggestions my budget is £500 for both the p/t and the jointer.

Derek...

that Rexon jointer was my first major tool purchace... right now it's sat on a shelf under my table saw, thick with dust that's been gathering for over 2 years now... replaced with hand tools that get the job done properly and without any limits to stock length and width....

my advise... put all your cash into a good thicknesser if you want to go with power tools; you can make a jig to flatten boards with it...

If my memory serves me right the Rexon benchtop jointer is basically the same model as the Perform jointer I reviewed.. The Perform is a great little jointer although if you have the space and think it'll be used a lot I would get a floor standing jointer with longer tables.

With a budget of £500 you might be able to get the SIP combined planer/thicknesser which I believe Tony has got and recommends??

Derek,

I have the Perform planer/thicknesserfrom Axminster, the one on legs with the wheel kit. I can't remember how much I paid but it was loads more than the offer of £299.50 that on now. Its another clone of the EB machine, mine has planed pine, oak, iroko, cherry and ash, it does not like taking big cuts on 10" wide hardwood but it gets there in smaller bites.

If money was no object and space unlimited I would buy a large cast iron planer with tables like an aircraft carrier and an equally heavy duty thicknesser but I would not hesitate in buying another Perform CCNPT Planer/Thicknesser. I might buy the cabinet version and make my own wheel set for it but its a good tool.

You will need a dust collector this goes for most planer/thicknessers they are not self clearing in thicknessing mode.

Where do I sign up for commission? :whistle:

cheers guys never thought about dust collection well it looks like i will have to sacrifice the jointer and get a dust extractor any ideas for around the £200 mark or as the perform is currently only £100 do you think i can get a dust extractor for around £100 or do you think im asking a bit much of my £500 budget bearing in mind that the delta p/t is £300.

Charley":2s6ni4ju said:
With a budget of £500 you might be able to get the SIP combined planer/thicknesser which I believe Tony has got and recommends??

'tis true. And I do :D

Also have the Delta thicknesser which I originally used alongside a Nutool planer. The Delta gives a better finish to the boards than the SIP thicknesser section but the difference is not great.
The reason is that the Delta spoins the blades about twice as fast as the SIP. Delta is VERY loud though and the SIP nice and quiet \:D/

Gave the Nutool away and bought the SIP.

SIP is still on the first set of blades after 2 years of much use :shock:

Back