Jointer plane, new Chinese ones...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheshirechappie":271avy58 said:
I'd be a tad wary of Faithfull planes. I'm sure there are good ones out there, but my number 3 was not one of them. It required quite a bit of work to make it 'reasonable'.
Yes they are a bit of a gamble as are all lower-end planes, but I think they're worth a shot certainly, especially as many mid-range planes have exactly the same degree of variability according to buyers' reports. I have a Faithfull no. 4 and other than the usual work on the cap iron and a sharpen (the iron had no edge at all) it went straight to work and it has done sterling service since, I can easily get it to take shavings of a couple of thou.

BenCviolin":3stmwikm said:
Tighter adjustment tolerances and a really flat sole would make my life easier, and for £200 I think that's a bargain.
I think you may be chasing something a bit more than elusive, possible a unicorn. Tighter adjustment tolerances sound great on paper but it's not that you can make adjustments that are finer, just a tad quicker but you're talking the difference of less than a second in many cases.

MarkDennehy":2cgjswi7 said:
...actually, there's at least one chap in Wexford who restores them as a hobby and sells them on adverts.
Waterford.

And that's OVER-restores for the record :mrgreen:

Regarding 'clogging', sometimes bits of dust etc get lodged between blade and blade iron, which is a pain.
I think the thinner iron cap on normal Stanley / Record planes is less rigid than the newer Stanley S.W.
Even if the iron cap fits the iron perfectly it's not gonna be as good a fit as the thicker plane iron caps.

Ideally I'd go for a Veritas Custom high angle jointer but I have a hard time biting the bullet re-pricing.
A No.8 would actually be a good idea, I think Luban do one of those, the 66mm wide blade very useful.
I'll only be using it for the occasional shooting of a Cello centre joint, so it'll likely get used for less than 300 hours in my lifetime.

Thanks for the tips.

BenCviolin":720x8573 said:
Regarding 'clogging', sometimes bits of dust etc get lodged between blade and blade iron, which is a pain.
I think the thinner iron cap on normal Stanley / Record planes is less rigid than the newer Stanley S.W.
Even if the iron cap fits the iron perfectly it's not gonna be as good a fit as the thicker plane iron caps.

Ideally I'd go for a Veritas Custom high angle jointer but I have a hard time biting the bullet re-pricing.
A No.8 would actually be a good idea, I think Luban do one of those, the 66mm wide blade very useful.
I'll only be using it for the occasional shooting of a Cello centre joint, so it'll likely get used for less than 300 hours in my lifetime.

Thanks for the tips.

There shouldn't be anything getting between the cap and iron on the old type unless you're planing lignum vitae.

I'd address that first.

'I'd address that first. '

Actually I'd prepared the cap perfectly on diamond plate so it contacted the blade 100 % and at the correct angle.
With the new design caps there's a much larger contact area which adds a lot of stability to the cutting edge
when compared to the old thin cap designs.

BenCviolin":q263bfxx said:
With the new design caps there's a much larger contact area which adds a lot of stability to the cutting edge
when compared to the old thin cap designs.
That's what they tell us at least. And it does seem plausible. If we assume for the sake of argument that there is an effect the question is, is it of any note? And the evidence of user experience would strongly suggest that it's not, at least not for all users.

The setting of the frog might well have an effect here. Those closing the mouth up to control tearout might notice it because the end of the iron is relatively unsupported due to the forward position of the frog. But those using the cap iron as the primary means of controlling tearout wouldn't notice any effect because the frog is back in its default position, giving the iron maximum support on the other side. And their cap irons are set much closer to the edge as well of course.

Back