Jointer: no 7 or no 8?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woden

Established Member
Reaction score
I've recently been looking to buy an old Stanley or Record jointer that I can put a decent blade into. At first I just assumed that I'd need a no 7 and there was no more thought involved, however, I'm now wondering if the larger no 8 would be preferable.

I always believed that a no 8 would be needless overkill with its extra size and weight but then something occurred to me when reading one of Alf's reviews on the newer heavier planes from veritas. Given that Stanleys and Records are so much lighter than the Veritas and Lie Nielsen planes would a no 8 from the older manufacturers come closer in weight to the jointers offered by LV and LN?

Given that Stanley, etc. planes tend to be too light when compared with those turned out by the top makers today should you go for the heaviest option for a particular task when buying on older plane? A 5 1/2 instead of a 5 or a no 8 instead of a no 7? :?

I think if you're the kind of person who likes a heavy plane then it's a size/weight ratio thing. You could always blu-tack some heavy objects from around the house onto a #7 if you wanted it to weigh more.

I like my Stanley #7, it seems to work reasonably well.

I have only a vintage Stanley USA no 8 so I can't compare to a no 7 (yet).

But there's a saying 'size does matter' which I tend to believe is appropriate when it comes to flattening and jointing.

Woden
The #8 is well worth going for - its function is flattening and a longer sole makes for a flatter surface. Go for it!
As a L-N #8 owner (and user!!) I have sold my #7 as it no longer gets any use.
Only my 2p's worth,
Philly :D

As a very recent convert to low angle planes, I'm very seriously considering the Veritas No7 Jointer at 22" and then making a really long woodie (similar to the one Derek of Oz made a while back) of 28". Haven't got the pennies together yet but hoping to sell a refurbed Record T5 to help go towards the cost

Philly wrote:
I have sold my #7 as it no longer gets any use.
Phill - you must have deployed the air brakes and 'chute :shock: on your way down the 'slope' :lol: - Rob

Ha, ha! You Boys having some laughs at poor Philly's expense? :wink: :lol:
You'll be pleased to know that the Cliffy is now owned by our own Tony Mod, so it's still "In-the-family" :lol:
I felt bad about owning a lovely tool and it just sitting there. See, I do have a conscience.... :roll:

Philly":1vsnzgdh said:
As a L-N #8 owner (and user!!) I have sold my #7 as it no longer gets any use.

Oh yes it does, lots :wink: I bought it and love it - and it is actually heavier than a LN #8 (it's the Clifton #7) :lol:

Woden, for me I prefer heavy over light every time. 5 1/2, 4 1/2 etc.
in fact, my latest plane is shockingly heavy :whistle:

Philly":mhfaien6 said:
You'll be pleased to know that the Cliffy is now owned by our own Tony Mod, so it's still "In-the-family" :lol:
Good lord. How many jointers does one man need?! :shock: ](*,)

Cheers, Alf

Thanks for the replies. So, the consensus seems to be that the heavier no 8 is worth holding out for. Well, as you're all infinitely more experienced than me I can't argue so a number 8 it will be then. Now if i can just come across one on ebay that I like, ie. with the plain lever cap and low front knob. Hmmm.... I could be waiting for a while.

Does anyone know the weight of a Stanley no 8 just so that I can compare it with the heavy versions on offer from LN and Clifton that I won't be owning for a long time to come. :(

woden":2tii896k said:
So, the consensus seems to be that the heavier no 8 is worth holding out for. Well :(

Maybe that is the concensus, but not what I did or meant to say

I love LNs and have err, 11, but when considering the #8 against the even heavier Clifton#7 at half the price, (less 2nd hand :wink: ), I went for the Clifton and do not regret it one bit

Woden, you do not list a location in your profile. Maybe someone lives near you and owns one that you could try

woden":3s2t6vhz said:
I've recently been looking to buy an old Stanley or Record jointer that I can put a decent blade into. At first I just assumed that I'd need a no 7 and there was no more thought involved, however, I'm now wondering if the larger no 8 would be preferable.

Possibly. But s/h #8 planes are dramatically rarer and more expensive than #7's. You'd need to be VERY sure you'd prefer the #8 to pay the difference.

BugBear

Hi,
I managed to pick a record No8 from the bay for £51! that was after watching lots go for £80 to £100. I tend to favour it over my No7s but thats is only after I got it, I was happy with them, but the lure of having a BIG one was to much :wink:

Pete

Racers":2bzwm7dx said:
Hi,
I managed to pick a record No8 from the bay for £51! that was after watching lots go for £80 to £100. I tend to favour it over my No7s but thats is only after I got it, I was happy with them, but the lure of having a BIG one was to much :wink:

Pete

After conversion to £ my Stanley (Type 6 I believe) cost me a little bit less than your Record. But I couldn't leave it alone, I had to add a LN replacement blade and chipbreaker :roll: But it works great :D

As to whether to get a #7 or an #8, the answer is dead simple, get both of course! :tool: \:D/ I set up my Bevel Up Jointer with a cambered iron for face jointing, and the #8 with a straight iron for edge jointing. I'm very satisfied with this setup...

DC

A friend of mine found a Bedrock 607 for a smidgen above £20, is this sufficient grounds to inflict bodily damage to the lucky pipper? :twisted: :lol:

dchenard":21rryp87 said:
A friend of mine found a Bedrock 607 for a smidgen above £20, is this sufficient grounds to inflict bodily damage to the lucky pipper? :twisted: :lol:

Yes :lol:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Back