Jointer: no 7 or no 8?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tony":2ksmzona said:
A professioanl woodworker cuts the wood, finds it is too thick, knocks the fence over a bit and cuts again so it fits

An amateur (he called them weekend woodworkers) cuts the wood a bit thick and then spends 2 hours hand planing it to size

Of course, the purpose of the professional is to make an item, and make a profit.

The motives of amateurs are more varied, I'm happy to say.

I'm fairly sure no professional would have done this...

633230842_82179f5440_o.jpg

(by Lord Nibbo)

BugBear

bugbear":374nuusz said:
I'm fairly sure no professional would have done this...
(by Lord Nibbo)

BugBear

You forgot this master piece by Rob
aertddwcsfd.jpg

And what about Newts
33s22c2dc2.jpg

The hours put into these two master pieces must be awesome. :shock:

bugbear":3i6b1f4a said:
woodbloke":3i6b1f4a said:
Having had a quick trawl thru' Mr Grim's website, most of the work appears to be painted (apart from a table top in sycamore) so I can only assume that the material used for the joinery is a nondescript softwood of some description (not much indication of timber used for the windows) so in that case Mr Grim is probably used to a lighter weight plane and doesn't have the need for a longer metal plane that will adequately deal with more difficult timbers - Rob

Not too much edge jointing in joinery either, as opposed to table tops etc in cabinet work.

BugBear
Hmm, thanks for the critique of my woodwork - actually I do a lot of other stuff besides the website including edge jointing and hardwoods. I'm a thorough going amateur on the side. Currently fiddling about with draw-knives and shaving-horses by way of doing something different.
I would be interested to see examples of what you two make.

cheers
Jacob

Mr Grim wrote:
I would be interested to see examples of what you two make
Suggest you have a look in the current issue of Furniture & Cabinetmaking 'cos there's the first bit of a two part series on the making of this:

p6.jpg

p7.jpg

p34.jpg

Happy now?...... probably not - Rob

Jacob, you've rather asked for it, mate. I'd have thought it better to let us squander our money than you squander your knowledge by letting it get lost and discredited because of your insaitable desire to pick a fight.

Cheers, Alf

Mr_Grimsdale":2jqa0s9x said:
Perhaps a light plane with all the benefits of a steel one would be good...... Has one ever been made?
I suppose you might consider the Stanley (Union, Sargent, et al) transitionals (wooden body, knob, handle but Bailey lateral adjuster and depth adjustment) somewhere near, the one thing they lack is the ability to adjust the mouth.

32.jpg

Although they're not everyone's favourite tools (Patrick Leach, he of Patrick's Blood & Gore, recommends using them to keep the workshop warm, but then again he turned up at my workshop in the middle of October one year wearing shorts :? )

Similarly the modern equivalent might be an ECE Emmerich Primus plane.

701P_b3.jpg

Both these approaches are lighter than an all-metal plane. I can't say about the Primus jointer, but I do have one of their smoothers and it works well. I've got a transitional jointer as well as a jack and they work as well as the all-metal planes whilst being lighter. They seem to glide better than their cast iron cousins, too, so maybe I should be using them a bit more

Mr_Grimsdale":2jqa0s9x said:
I'm genuinely intrigued to know what exactly one gets for the money with some of the expensive kit on offer.
I'd have said the same a few years back, Jacob, but Lie-Nielsen and Lee Valley/Veritas have geniunely improved the quality and some parts of the design of the hand planes they make. To my mind the biggest improvements have been in the thickness and quality of the blades, whilst the (re-)introduction of bevel-up planes and their continued development has been an eye opener to me

Scrit

Alf":igytdw6d said:
Jacob, you've rather asked for it, mate. I'd have thought it better to let us squander our money than you squander your knowledge by letting it get lost and discredited because of your insaitable desire to pick a fight.

Cheers, Alf
Very nice cupboard Rob.
Why "Happy now?...... probably not "? What did I say?
To be honest I don't really know what it is I say which people find so controversial and I wasn't aware that I was picking a fight with anybody.
Must be the way I say it.
I just chunter on and every now and then seem to get a very irritated reaction. Have a look through my other posts - are they all potentially irritating or what?
Am I missing something? "A screw loose" I hear you cry.

Oh well it takes all sorts.

cheers
Jacob
PS It's only a chat group chaps (n chapesses) - you really should lighten up a bit

woodbloke":37s9rcw7 said:
Mr Grim wrote:
Very nice cupboard Rob
I'll take that as a compliment
Well that's a relief, phew :shock:
the mere trifling detail that it hasn't got any doors is neither here nor there - Rob
Ooops, er yes I am so wrong :oops:
What would you call it then - a chest of drawers?

cheers
Jacob
Got to go, Mrs Grimsdale breathing down my neck :roll:

That's a very nice chest of drawers Rob (woodbloke). Congrats.

Back on the topic of jointers. 8-[ I have a No. 8 and I really like the weight, but then I've never tried a No. 7. I reckon the mass of the No. 8 suits Aussie hardwoods.

MrJay":3kk9kjqb said:
Tony":3kk9kjqb said:
Mr_Grimsdale":3kk9kjqb said:
When I did loads of stuff by hand I found a light wooden jack really a lot easier esp if doing it for hours at a time Jacob

But surely these days no professional woodworker can afford to remove large amounts of wood by hand? One uses machines to get close, and then finish with the plane.

I once saw something in Popular Woodworking that rang true:

A professioanl woodworker cuts the wood, finds it is too thick, knocks the fence over a bit and cuts again so it fits

An amateur (he called them weekend woodworkers) cuts the wood a bit thick and then spends 2 hours hand planing it to size

I refer you to your sig,

Not sure I see your point.

My sig has nothing to do with the quote i posted - a pro woodworker needs to make money, an amatuer can be happy making one item every 3 years ( Ibeleive this would be a record for Waka :twisted: :lol: )

Intrigued by the weight of jointers, I put a Record #8 on the kitchen digital scales - it goes 10lb 8oz. This is one of the last #8s that Record made, and was (until Clfton/LN era) the only new plane I ever bought which was actually flat. It stayed that way too.

If you have the relevant knowledge and skill, you can make a fair stab of correcting the manufacturing faults of a Stanley/Record (carpenter's quality?), although I had to give up on a #6 that warped almost 30 thou in 18 months. However when you also factor in the effort, and the cost of a replacement blade and cap iron (cabinet maker's quality) a Clifton looks a real bargain!

Back