jointer blade setting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guyos

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello
can someone please tell me :

When setting the jointer knives, should I have the machine depth of cut set to minimum or maximum?
I have had it set to zero is that right?
guyos

How do you mean?

I used to wind my tables as far back as I would to get some space. They should be coplanar to the block already Then you set the blades to the block, and wind the tables back. They should still be coplanar to the block and therefore the blades.

Thanks for the explanation, I was a bit confused, but it does not seem to matter where I set the in feed table.
guyos

Ignore the infeed table, just wind it as far down as it will go so you can get your spanner in more easily. You set the blades a tad higher than the outfeed table, registering off the outfeed table to do so.

Edit: This is poor resolution, but you might find it useful:

[youtube]mHfjSatKITQ[/youtube]

Thanks guys I seem to have got it set up, a straight edge placed on top of the outfeed table and blade moves a 1/4 " when I turn the cylinder.

Nice video Steve.

My only problem now is to find blades to fit my B&Q machine. that seems impossible.

May I jump into the thread and ask if the wee magnet jigs for planer blade setting are any good?
https://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+power-too ... ta+dkpnjig

I've set mine up a while ago (put a plane on the outfeed table and attached a strong magnet to its side - the magnet was strong enough to hold the blades up) but can do with new, sharp blades, so will need to re-set.

Thanks.

I am on quick change blades now, but on my previous planer, I used the one-way multi gauge. Really useful but if kit.

Back