Joint choice and finishing technique

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Learner Les

Established Member
Reaction score
I am making a plant stand for SWMBO for Xmas. Basically consists of a tray supported by 2 turned legs separated by a turned stretcher and sat on 2 rectangular feet.
Q1: What is the best/strongest joint to connect pummels on legs to the feet?
Q2: I am making the legs in 2 sections each (vibration and lack of skill/experience limit the length that I can turn). Is it best to finish the sections individually or after joining together ? I intend using sanding sealer then Danish oil.

1/ I would turn a spigot on the pummels to fit into holes in the feet. Round mortice and tenon if you see what I mean.

2/ I would complete all the finishing up the the the application of the oil on the lathe and apply the oil once it is completely assembled. I don't use sanding sealer under danish oil. Wont the sealer stop the wood absorbing the oil?

John

I have always found 4 legs better thatn two for furniture :lol:

But to me the only way you could go is M/T joints if leg has a square section or peg it into a round hole (using a hole saw on cross section) if suitable, with a wedge put into the upright to spread the joint.

Learner Les,

Presumably you are using spigot/hole to join the two sections of each leg?
As above, I would use the same joint for the top and bottom of each leg. I have done this successfully on single-spindle plant stands - just need to be careful to get the sizing right - suggest make the hole first, then turn down the spigot carefully until the fit is achieved. Good also for a bit of extra practice on the lathe. :wink: For glue-up I normally use PVA - works okay for me. Wedged through-tenons on the base would give you reassurance of extra security if you are at all worried, although I haven't found these necessary (so far! :roll: ).

I go along with Johnboy on finishing - I don't use a sealer if I am going to use oil, for the reason he says.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Trev.

Hello Les
I concur with John and Trev about not using sanding sealer on this type of finish. They also gave some good advise on the joints.
Good luck on the project.
Travis

Back