Joining worktop lengthways

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Designer1

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Just a quick one, I've got an island coming up which is about a 1.2m square, I am struggling to find a worktop that is that depth as obviously cabinet dimensions hover around 0.6m.

Has anyone ever dominoed 2 lengths of 0.6m worktop along the edges to make them wider? I.e cutting a 3 metre length of worktop down and then joining them along their edges?

Apart from making one from scratch and running lengths through a jointer I am struggling to come up with an idea.

Cheers,
Designer1

I'm assuming you are talking about a worktop made of wood...?

If so, as you suggested, just buy a 600mm deep worktop and butt joint it together back to back.
If I was doing it, I would use Dominos or in years gone by, Biscuits for alignment purposes.
Then sand it as a whole prior to finishing top and bottom and make sure you allow for expansion & contraction.

I'm assuming you are talking about a worktop made of wood...?

If so, as you suggested, just buy a 600mm deep worktop and butt joint it together back to back.
If I was doing it, I would use Dominos or in years gone by, Biscuits for alignment purposes.
Then sand it as a whole prior to finishing top and bottom and make sure you allow for expansion & contraction.

I'm still on the biscuit joiner technology, I've not quite upgraded to a domino yet😆

I probably end up doing this a couple of times a year in large kitchens. You don’t need the bolts underneath. Just gorilla glue, dominos and sash cramps. Locate the join on a full stave width; if the worktop is pre-finished you must lightly route the joining edges for the glue to get into the grain. Finally, use a straight edge to ensure you haven’t cranked the join.

Back