Joining water butts in series

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of useful stuff there - thanks for all the replies. I would prefer the t-connector route to drilling an extra hole per butt, but am not sure where to get the t-connectors from. The butts will be stood on concrete with the accessible one as a dip tank and the pipe connected to a tap-like take off. The butts ar a few feet higher than the lawn/veg plot so gravity feed by hose will be feasible too.

The rainwater comes in via a downpipe - not a diverter. When we moved in someone had run the downpipe into a butt on the decking and there was no sign of a drain so overflow just ran on to the decking/house!. When we got the new decking installed I dug a channel and extended the downpipe to the edge of the built up area, and the decking covers it. now the overflow runs onto the garden a few meters from the house (via a water butt of course).

If you do fit a tap I can recommend this type but in a larger bore, saves a lot of time.

DBAA9E1D-7155-440A-A215-B572F4A5E5C2.png

I have 4 water butts connected like this drawing
82A21834-698D-4984-8073-673A5D0851E7.jpeg

The last one only fills as an overflow and when this is full it returns to the drain. Hose kits were from B&Q from memory. They don’t leak after a few years. I guess they will when the rubber washer perishes eventually.
PS turn the diagram through 90° !

Thanks for the suggestions - I am still looking at options for taps/connectors but I have just located these butts : Harcostar 227L Water Butt Barrel

They apparently have two drilled threaded holes in each. Sounds like the basis of a solution. I will likely order one to examine next payday unless a better idea comes along.
Threaded holes ready drilled means no crawling inside the butt. That will be a big advantage.

If you have the room IBC containers are perfect water butts. Intermediate bulk container - Wikipedia They usually go used locally for about $100CAD or so having had food oils or isopropyl alcohol etc in them. As long as you don't get ones that were used for nasty chemicals or pesticides/herbicides like Roundup you are golden. Already come with a quarter turn tap at the base. Only downside is they are not pretty.

Pete

Hi Pete, yes they would work (they cannot be seen) but unfortunately the ones I found were 1000mm wide and I can only have 800mm (for access) or 900mm (once in position).

We use IBC containers and they work well. Just make sure you wrap the container in something to keep out the light (covered ours in a black plastic damp proof membrane sheet) or the water will soon turn green and smelly!

Thanks for the suggestions - I am still looking at options for taps/connectors but I have just located these butts : Harcostar 227L Water Butt Barrel

They apparently have two drilled threaded holes in each. Sounds like the basis of a solution. I will likely order one to examine next payday unless a better idea comes along.
Threaded holes ready drilled means no crawling inside the butt. That will be a big advantage.
from memory (and i used to deliver these water butts). the threaded holes are top and bottom, one for the tap and one at the top for the linking kit so if you want to join them at the bottom you will still need to drill holes
have you considered this sort of barrel for storage
https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...wjKjuGu5pz0AhUR57sIHWsbAdUQww96BAgBEEA&adurl=or
https://shop.smithsofthedean.co.uk/recycled-water-butt-226-p.asp

Last edited:
from memory (and i used to deliver these water butts). the threaded holes are top and bottom, one for the tap and one at the top for the linking kit so if you want to join them at the bottom you will still need to drill holes
Good shout, but not quite right according to WaterButtsDirect. I specifically asked by email as a result of your suggestion (to avoid surprises). Their customer facing staff are very patient.
WaterButtsDirect said:
The 227 Harcostar barrels have two 3/4 inch threaded holes at the bottom, one on each side. They have a screw in bung that you need to unscrew with a large flat screwdriver. You could use those threaded holes for the linking kit, which also has the 3/4 inch thread connection, or the 3/4 inch tap.
I think that that is my preferred solution at the moment....

I get tank connectors from my local plumber merchants 20mm size I fix these about 300 mm connect in series from the barrel bottom I have built a 2 ft high stillage and run one pipe with tap into my greenhouse I feed the down spout from the greenhouse into one barrel be sure to add lids to all barrels I drowned a squirrel last year by accident
Hiya do u have any pictures, as I'm thinking of doing the syphon system feeding hose through the top to the bottom and up again then to the next, however I'm not how to fill the syphon hose all with water and put them at the bottom of the barrel without the water coming out again???

Back