Joining birch ply carcasses - do I need screws?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeSheffer

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Been making some cabinetry from birch ply for my workshop and so far have been making joints with a rabbet recessed into one of the surfaces and then just clamping and gluing up the four sides into a box. I want to build a bigger unit tomorrow and don't think that this just glue approach is sensible. Should I use pocket holes or some other technique? I don't want screws to be visible from the outside and am not sure about how pocket screws or any screws would work with this kind of rabbet joint.

I originally set out using the CDJ600 dovetailing joint on these carcasses, but found that 18mm ply was really hard work for the router and I ended up with lots of burn.

Sorry I can't post pictures on here, this is my first post.

Thanks in advance.
Joe

JoeSheffer":2g2bpd5f said:
Hi all,

Been making some cabinetry from birch ply for my workshop and so far have been making joints with a rabbet recessed into one of the surfaces and then just clamping and gluing up the four sides into a box. I want to build a bigger unit tomorrow and don't think that this just glue approach is sensible. Should I use pocket holes or some other technique? I don't want screws to be visible from the outside and am not sure about how pocket screws or any screws would work with this kind of rabbet joint.

I originally set out using the CDJ600 dovetailing joint on these carcasses, but found that 18mm ply was really hard work for the router and I ended up with lots of burn.

Sorry I can't post pictures on here, this is my first post.

Thanks in advance.
Joe
Rabbet = USA
Rebate = UK
:)

Glued rebates are a perfectly valid way to do drawers like this. Last time I made plywood drawers, I used Festool dominos. I suppose if you wanted to re-enforce your rebates, you could use dowels.

Thanks for the reply.

Thing is...i'm not just making the draw, i'm making the whole carcass of the shelving unit?

Rebate for the back, housings for shelves, dowels or dominoes for the corners.
Clamp and glue everything together. No screws needed.

A lot of the strength/rigidity comes from when you apply the backing. Depending on scale, glue might be fine.

Back