Joinery with thin OSB

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ObservantGround28

Established Member
Reaction score
I have quite a bit of 9(9.5?)mm OSB scrap that's in good condition.

Does anyone have any recommendations on joinery options? Would box joints work? How strong would a butt joint with glue be and how long is a piece of string?

I was initially thinking about making simple small boxes, but I'm also wondering how strong a joint can be made without reinforcing the corner with a batten to a provide larger gluing area for 2 perpendicular surfaces.

Thanks!

If you try finger joints it just breaks apart. It has no strength in the length of the joints as the flakes of timber are not long enough.

Colin

What sort of size boxes are you planning on making? If the sides are over 40/50 cm then I'm not sure how strong they would be - one bump/knock and they might break apart. I suppose you could test this on a scrap piece.

Definitely go with reinforcement blocks in the corner. Triangular ones look nice but can be annoying to glue and clamp in place without some extra steps.

I've made a couple of bits with a variation of this design, I find it good for anything that you would struggle to join normally, the battens on the outside leave the inside 100% useable, and I quite like the look, an additional pair of horizontal battens make nice handles. Not fine joinery but how good is osb ever going to look

How many knots are in your string ? If We know this, we could then give a good estimate to Its length.

I have quite a bit of 9(9.5?)mm OSB scrap that's in good condition.

Sell it on eBay and buy some proper wood.

OSB usually gets a decent price on eBay, especially during covid times so you should get a decent amount for it which you can then use to buy the right wood for the project you are doing.

I know somebody that now has quite a bit of 18mm OSB in good condition........

What can he do with it?

Latest posts

Back