Joinery pencil

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Evening guys,

Im going through a load of pencils, i cant seem to find a mechanics (replacable led)that last more than 2 weeks.
What are you using?
Looking for advice from professional woodworkers who use them every day.

Cheers

Pentel graphgear 1000. Best mechanical pencil I've owned to date. The thin metal tip is retractable, a bit like a ball point pen.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

There was a thread recently where this question wasn't directly asked but it turned into "what's the best thing for marking out"

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/hand-cut-dovetai-joints-t116876.html

It really depends on what you're making, if you're making really fine joinery and furniture you need a finer mark but if all you do is make doors and windows or even bog standard kitchens you don't need something so fine.

Not pro, but clutch pencils are simpler mechanically and less likely to wear out. Won’t give as fine a line though so depends on the accuracy you’re after

Hi

I also go through a lot of pencils but I use a 5H lead pencil which mark very thin lines for accuracy.
I don't think lead breaking can be avoided, but I'm intrigued to see what gets recommended.

Trevanion":14estu78 said:
It really depends on what you're making, if you're making really fine joinery and furniture you need a finer mark but if all you do is make doors and windows or even bog standard kitchens you don't need something so fine.
Yup, marking knife for joints etc and a 4H for other stuff where it's not quite so crucial, plus a normal HB for rough marking out. I use a thin, black biro for marking out dovetails. I'so got a couple of 0.7mm Rotring clutch pencils from WH for sketching - Rob

Not a pro and not doing it daily but for what it's worth I use good quality standard pencils (Staedtler, Faber-Castell, etc) with a Helix A5 sharpener. A good sharpener will make all the difference in getting and maintaining a good point.

I still use mechanical pencils but are more drawn to standard ones these days. That said I had a look at the Pentel graphgear 1000's online, they look like decent pencils for the money and I may get one to have a try. I had similar issues recently with pencil lines and came across a mention about the A5 in one of Peter Millard's videos. Very nice sharpener and worth the price. As for finer work I use some Japanese marking knives which I think I got from Axi a few visits ago. Easy to keep sharp as the edge is open, just need to be aware of it on the bench in case you catch it with your fingers or knock it off.

Surreycabinetry":2hbvywud said:
Im going through a load of pencils, i cant seem to find a mechanics (replacable led)that last more than 2 weeks.
Given the heavy use you obviously put them to I think you'll struggle to find a propelling pencil that will last, although there are some made to a much higher standard (and priced commensurately) even those might not be tough enough. Or their leads might not be.

I see woodbloke66 beat me to it so I won't need to add a disclaimer that this isn't a joke :) have you ever tried using a biro? Very consistent line thickness, virtually impossible to break and yet cheap as chips.

If you're at all worried about the permanence of the lines there's a pen from Pilot that features genuinely erasable ink in that it becomes invisible when heated. I don't know why they haven't caught on more over here, the French went mad for them apparently!

I use any pencil, biro, marker pen that I can find. If I need a fine line then I start searching for a knife. :(

Staedtler tradition 2H pencils and Helix desktop sharpener for me, tried all the propelling ones and always come back to normal Staedtler pencils.

Cheers guys, will check some if these out.
I use 0.7 gauge which i like the best but the pens just dont last. I think i need to put some more dosh down.

Gave up on mechanical pencils - went back to old fashioned wood. 2B 2H HB, three different brands - makes them colour identifiable.
The trick is to twist the pencil as you draw so it maintains an even point without a flat on one side.
Mechanical sharpener good though.

Bm101":2qhfgtae said:

+1

a friend of mine was given one of the round ones by her mum, who is an art teacher, i couldnt help myself after seeing it... its great and a very satisfying weight and size. seems insane to spend five pounds on a pencil sharpener, but if its something that gets that much use its well worth it i reckon

Bm101":342nfkce said:
Strictly amateur hour. Hb and 2h pencils depending . Staedtler pencils. Decent brass sharpener makes a huge difference if I'm not teaching grandma to suck eggs.
https://www.manufactum.co.uk/brass-penc ... gIPJPD_BwE
No messing. These sharpeners are the nuts. Just saying.

That's funny. The sharpener including blade is £3, but a spare blade is £3.30!

:¬O

Latest posts

Back