John Pickles & son Ltd.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MilesH

Established Member
Reaction score

Attachments

• Pickles cat. 3.jpg
    Pickles cat. 3.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 234
  • Pickles cat. 2.jpg
    Pickles cat. 2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 235
  • Pickles cat. 1.jpg
    Pickles cat. 1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 235
A taster selection:

Attachments

• Pickles cat. 11.jpg
    Pickles cat. 11.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 172
  • Pickles cat. 10.jpg
    Pickles cat. 10.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 173
  • Pickles cat. 9.jpg
    Pickles cat. 9.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 171
  • Pickles cat. 8.jpg
    Pickles cat. 8.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 171
  • Pickles cat. 7.jpg
    Pickles cat. 7.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 172
  • Pickles cat. 6.jpg
    Pickles cat. 6.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 172
  • Pickles cat. 5.jpg
    Pickles cat. 5.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 172
  • Pickles cat. 4.jpg
    Pickles cat. 4.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 169
If I recall Pickles is one of the first woodworking machine "brands" to have been established in Britain, they made very good stair trenching machines which are still used all over the place as there isn't a much quicker machine to be had even now.

A later version of the Pickles dimension saw.

Attachments

• Pickles 2.jpg
    Pickles 2.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 121
The double dimension saw is very similar to a wadkin one I have. They had two spindles that rotated to bring up either a cross cut or ripping blade. They also had a tilting table which seems quite scary to me.

If I recall Pickles is one of the first woodworking machine "brands" to have been established in Britain, they made very good stair trenching machines which are still used all over the place as there isn't a much quicker machine to be had even now.
Here's the entry for the stair trenching machine, from a later (late 50s?) Pickles catalogue.

Attachments

• Stair trencher.jpg
    Stair trencher.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
It’s really bugging me that I cannot remember if this bandsaw was made by Pickles. I remember the conversation when I saw it was either it was made in Halifax or Hebden Bridge. Halifax would be Dominion? I’ve e-mailed the guy who owns it to ask him but it looks pretty similar to the one in the catalogue ... and was still going strong.

AD891CC8-3F44-4CC1-AE71-22DF92E0521C.jpeg

The Pickles AN is a one piece casting. The one in your picture has a separate casting for the upper guide support. Do let us know what he says about it!

Back