• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

John Pickles & son Ltd.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Trevanion

Greatest Of All Time
Reaction score
If I recall Pickles is one of the first woodworking machine "brands" to have been established in Britain, they made very good stair trenching machines which are still used all over the place as there isn't a much quicker machine to be had even now.

wallace

Established Member
Reaction score
The double dimension saw is very similar to a wadkin one I have. They had two spindles that rotated to bring up either a cross cut or ripping blade. They also had a tilting table which seems quite scary to me.

MilesH

Established Member
Reaction score
If I recall Pickles is one of the first woodworking machine "brands" to have been established in Britain, they made very good stair trenching machines which are still used all over the place as there isn't a much quicker machine to be had even now.
Here's the entry for the stair trenching machine, from a later (late 50s?) Pickles catalogue.

Attachments

Blackswanwood

Still Learning
Reaction score
It’s really bugging me that I cannot remember if this bandsaw was made by Pickles. I remember the conversation when I saw it was either it was made in Halifax or Hebden Bridge. Halifax would be Dominion? I’ve e-mailed the guy who owns it to ask him but it looks pretty similar to the one in the catalogue ... and was still going strong.

AD891CC8-3F44-4CC1-AE71-22DF92E0521C.jpeg

MilesH

Established Member
Reaction score
The Pickles AN is a one piece casting. The one in your picture has a separate casting for the upper guide support. Do let us know what he says about it!