Johann Weiss rabbet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I recently discovered that this rabbet plane

sponda-3-thumb.jpg

(larger picture here) is marked Johann Weiss & Sohn - Wien, which I understand was a very famous and reputable Austrian toolmaker at the beginning of '900.

Has somebody more info about him ? Can somebody guess which kind of rabbet was this plane for ? Perhaps... long dovetailed rails ?

Thanks in advance for your comments.
Cheers
Alberto

What a fantastic plane! From the picture it looks like it is made to cut the male part of a sliding dovetail. Very nice.

Alberto,

It is not clear what is angled (does look a bit like one side of a dovetail) nor is it clear which bits move relative to what - could be a moving fillister if some bits move that loks as though they might.

Can you disassemble it a bit?

waterhead37":3oggine8 said:
(does look a bit like one side of a dovetail) nor is it clear which bits move relative to what - could be a moving fillister if some bits move that loks as though they might.

bravo Cris and Roger ! exacltly this ! It is one side of a sliding dovetail pin: its size is regulated by the side fillister (at your right) and by the shoulder (at your left)

Thanks for your help
Cheers
Alberto

wjordan":rf7ebz91 said:
there is a catalog reprint of a 1909 Weiss catalog published by EAIA and MWTCA.

Wolfgang,
many thanks for your information about Weiss u. Sohn ! Would you by chance know whether/who's presently selling this reprint ?

Very rich and remarkable site is yours ! Despite my very poor German (mein Gott, mein Gott ! sieben Kinder und kein Brot... ) I could enjoy a quite interesting tour. I gave a blick to your shop and I just saw cordless tools (even the drill press has no plug !!!): where did you hide your tablesaw and your rooter :twisted: ????

Cheers from the other side of the Alps
Alberto

Alberto,

I got my copy from Roy Arnold some years ago (http://www.royarnold.com/). You could also ask EAIA (http://www.eaiainfo.org) and MWTCA (http://www.mwtca.org).

I did my very best to disguise my power tools. The drill and sander is stowed away and the handheld circular saw mounted in a selfmade table covered with hand tools. Router, who needs a router?

Greetings from cold and rainy Munich.

Wolfgang

Hi Wolfgang and welcome to the group.......my wife will be pleased I can now brush up on my German and my woodworking in one easy step!! :D

Theres no stopping me now!!!!!

SimonA

wjordan":nnf0kiih said:
Alberto,

I got my copy from Roy Arnold some years ago

Thanks Wolfgang: did you perhaps look up in your catalogue whether my plane was listed for sale in 1909 ?

Cheers
Alberto

Yes I did, Alberto, and it is listed. I will scan the picture and post it tomorrow.

Hi, SimonA, do you want me to write in German?

Thanks everybody for the warm welcome!

Wolfgang

Alberto,

you will find a picture of your plane from the Weiss 1909 catalogue here:
http://www.holzwerken.de/pics/stellgrathobel_weiss.jpg

The text says:
'Adjustable dovetailplane, skew, with spur and one fence' (left)
'Adjustable dovetailplane, skew, with spur and two fences' (middle and right)

I'd like to say, that this plane with its wooden fences and threaded rods is characteristic of Weiss planes. German dovetail planes are much simpler in construction, with only one metal fence adjusted by screws or no fence at all.

Do you know anything about Italian planemakers? I've seen planes from neighboring countries like Austria, Switzerland, France, but never one from Italy here in Germany.

Wolfgang

Wolfgang, I'm delighted to see the picture: thank you very much. For the little story, I must add that that the left angled fence (or fillister) is made out of a single piece of wood ! (I would have expected two pieces jointed at 90 degrees...)

As far as the Italian planes are concerned, I'm afraid my SEHR kleines Werkzeugmuseum only carries ONE piece:

pic 1

pic 2

and pic 3

I will start to look around for more at the next local fleamarket ! However, given that Trieste was part of the Austrian empire until 1918... I will probably find more Weiss stuff here !

Cheers
Alberto

Latest posts

Back