Jobs in another land (new zealand)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtt.tr

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been wanting to move to new Zealand for a number of years and have decided it may well be time to.

I was working with a cabinet making firm for 2 years all bespoke work. I have lvl1 carpentry diploma and lvl2 bench joinery nvq but work has since dried up and im now effectively jobless. And the industry looks bleak if im honest.

Just wondering if any body has any advice for moving to new Zealand to live and work, I'm 19 by the and have family i could stay with until im stable

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

There are several agencies that can help you migrate to New Zealand and most offer a free evaluation service to see if you're likely to be able to do so. They can also recommend the type of visa that's best for you.
We used Migration Associates. They offer a very personal service and we found them very helpful.
Try contacting them - please mention my name :)

There's likely to be plenty of work for you in Christchurch as they're rebuilding after the earthquakes.

Good luck

PS We fly out on September 10th! :D :D

That is how i see still young would be a waste to not take chances and enjoy what i can.

And thanks, will have a look into that website

Best of luck

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Mark Twain

I have family in NZ, brother & sister,they've been there 40+years, since the earthquake more than 2 years ago there have been more than 7000 separate tremors.Two of my nephews have recently relocated in Australia, with their families.Owing to circumstances, age/finances etc, many can not but would, given the opportunity.I spoke a couple of days ago with my brother (skype) he was visibly shocked after just experiencing another "shake" as he put it.These things are not widely reported in the UK, and are increasingly ignored by news agencies.
mack

Seven or eight years ago, I decided to sell up and move to Bulgaria and work for myself. While it isnt always easy, especially in the current economic climate I do not regret my decision. I am doing slightly different work to what I originally imagined I would be doing and my learning curve has been steep. New Language, different attitude to working and burocracy but I would say its worth it. If it all goes t1tsup then you can either try something different or move back to UK, but at least you have tried. At 19 the world is your oyster and I think as long as you work hard and play hard then in NZ and Oz you will succeed. At least they speak English there not a wierd cyrillic language.
Добър Ден
Thats good day
Good Luck
Danny

mtt.tr":34dmypp6 said:
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Mark Twain
Thanks for that quote - it nicely sums our a large part of our reasons for emigrating. :)

cambournepete":3ljs1kz8 said:
mtt.tr":3ljs1kz8 said:

Mark Twain
Thanks for that quote - it nicely sums our a large part of our reasons for emigrating. :)

Sorry, would that be here, or there?

I'd say look into getting a working holiday visa so you can 'try before you buy' ( I got 1 for Aus but I am not sure if NZ does a similar scheme). I'd definately recommend going to Aus for a few years !

The Antipodeans are very professional with a great standard of living & outlook on life - you would learn so much & have lots of fun doing it but whether leaving blighty, friends & family behind (for many years at a time) or if NZ is good for you can only be found out the hard way. IMHO you have to give it a few years before you can say that you gave it a fair shot.

Although my circumstances were very different I emigrated at your age & would recommend it - but like a lot in life it was not easy.

Fair play to you for trying to broaden your horizons - good luck !

19 and have family that could assist - I'd go! Not exactly like you have a life that requires liquidating and upheaving (house, lifetime's rubbish, family, inlaws, etc.) that may well get in the way.

Go for it!

Dibs

mack9110000":ieomwcc4 said:
cambournepete":ieomwcc4 said:
mtt.tr":ieomwcc4 said:

Mark Twain

Sorry, would that be here, or there?
There.
Had enough of here.

Hi there
I moved to New Zealand in 04 after seeing an ad in the local paper here advertising for carpenters and joiners. Got a start with a small builder in Ashburton,a couple of hours south of Christchurch. It happened really quickly and travelled on a tourist visa and applied for a visa when I got there. It took maybe 5 hours waiting in the Christchurch office.
I personally found the carpentry side very boring as everything is produced in a workshop and the chippy just nails it together on site. On the joinery side, most of the kitchens are bespoke so plenty of cabinet work and the joiners make up all the door sets in the shop ready to be fitted on site. Slightly different way of doing things as they tend not to use architrave but have the lining proud and plasterboard slots into the back of the linings and a thin skirting finishes flush with the lining.
The biggest shock for me is how much things cost. Was only getting $18 an hour and cost of living is high. If you wanted to buy a powertool it would cost virtually the same as here in pounds. This applies to everything from vehicles to electrical goods to your weekly shop. We were spending nearly $200 a week on food which was almost a third of my wages. Petrol was nearly $1.50 a litre when i was there, god knows how much it is now.
My wife and I decided to come back as we had nowhere near enough disposible income as we did back in the UK.
You can also see why so many Kiwi's travel and earn £s,Euro's for a long time before they go back home.
I would recommend going to Australia over New Zealand any day. So many more oppertunities and more modern than NZ. Most houses in NZ older than 30 years will have no insulation in the walls and it can get to -5 in the winter with no central heating, only a log burner in the lounge.
It is a beautiful place and very much like the UK but 20 years behind the times.
I have lived in a lot of different places and would say Canada is the best option to emigrate to, then Australia. NZ is a long way down the list.
As you are only 19, I would definitely travel first to different countries to see what you prefer. Australia might need a bit more experience to get a visa aswell.
Hope I have been constructive enough for you. If you need anymore advice don't hesitate to PM me. I have been a chippy in Oz,NZ, Japan,Canada, the States and around Europe, now residing in the UK since 04.
Martin

At your age and with family support you should do it but as suggested go down the working visa route first. I almost emigrated to Adelade in Australia in my early 20s and always regretted not at least giving it a go.

I've been to both Oz an NZ a couple of times and love both countries but it isn't all roses so you have to be realistic.

Personally, I could move to NZ tomorrow but that would be to retire as it's so beautiful. Not so sure about working as wages are very low and prices high and I suspect if wanting to move away once there the gap might prove difficult.

Australia has a much higher standard of living but again prices are high as are houses and you have to factor in health insurance. I have a brother in Sydney, one of the most expensive places in the world to live but he certainly wouldn't leave now after 12 years.

You're young so give both a try and maybe Canada as well would be my opinion.

regards

Bob

Back