Jim Krenov and his stash

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob

Pint of bass, porkpie, and packet of crisps please
Reaction score
Just been browsing latest book borrowed from Brian; "Contemporary Danish Furniture Design" Frederick Sieck 9788717062023.
Very interesting stuff and should be read more widely by UK furniture designer/makers still struggling under the dreadful yoke of Arts n Crafts :roll:
I came across a "tobacco cabinet" - Ludvig Pontoppidan 1955, which was a dead ringer for one of dead Jim's little jobs! It transpires that there is a long established tradition in many countries for tobacco cabinets, including quaint picturesque versions.
So that's where the little geezer got the idea. Somewhere to put his shag, Rizlas and Zippos!
Obvious with hindsight.

There's another one here

http://www.deconet.com/decopedia/object ... Snedkerier

Re your link. Rud Rasmusson was where I visited recently in Copenhagen and were extremely welcoming to a modern furniture enthusiast, even allowing unlimited private photography.

I'm sure St Jim must have pilgrimmed his way to that Mecca in his youth.

At least he wasn't trying to be original :D

Modernist":1wv2dzdb said:
Very sensible of him - and his things are all the better for it!
I'd never noticed the term before but it seems they are common: tobacco/smoking cabinets

Been googling the theme.

Danish tobacco cabinet brings up a better class of object than tobacco cabinet on it's own. When they get a bit wider they are just "cabinets" or drinks cabinets.
You get taken inevitably to Danish pipe makers with some spectacular odds n ends like these here: http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Eltang
Pen turners take note.
Did Krenov do a pipe ever? Seems not - but were his knobbly little planes a move in that direction? You could convert one into a pipe if you were desperate!

I found a pipe in the style of a Krenov plane but that's as far as the search has taken me.

il_fullxfull.257045757.jpg

Jacob,

I am a big fan of Peter Heeschen and have four of his pipes;

Heeschen0.jpg

Danish pipe carvers are celebrated as some of the best pipe artisans in the world.

I would like to have a go at making a pipe sometime.

Tony.

Escudo":zghzrpc8 said:
Jacob,

I am a big fan of Peter Heeschen and have four of his pipes;

Danish pipe carvers are celebrated as some of the best pipe artisans in the world.

I would like to have a go at making a pipe sometime.

Tony.
Interesting corner of the world of wood - all new to me. I've given up smoking unfortunately. I'd be at straight away if only they'd say it wasn't so bad for you after all! And making the pipes.

Modernist":11m923to said:
Re your link. Rud Rasmusson was where I visited recently in Copenhagen and were extremely welcoming to a modern furniture enthusiast, even allowing unlimited private photography.

Perhaps Jacob will now change his view of JK's (unaltered...) furniture, now he knows they're not original.

BugBear

bugbear":2wql5qui said:
Modernist":2wql5qui said:

Perhaps Jacob will now change his view of JK's (unaltered...) furniture, now he knows they're not original.

BugBear
No. Why would it?

Gave up smoking 30 years ago. But I still miss my pipe. Still have the one I kept, so I think I should give the bowl away to someone who uses a Falcon.
Put temptation out of my way!

:mrgreen:
John 8)

Jacob":2hez4svf said:
bugbear":2hez4svf said:
Modernist":2hez4svf said:

BugBear
No. Why would it?
Actually I've always quite liked JKs fag cupboards and have been slightly mystified as to their origin, so finding that he had just ripped off some older Danish designs was quite interesting! As far as I know he never mentioned the source but was quite happy to accept the accolades and the gurudom.
But it brilliantly demonstrates the value of copying, as compared to the "creative" approach. I think copying is perfectly OK and is what everybody should do until they really know their way around, if ever.
So any would-be krenovites can now be one step ahead of St Jim by going back to the source for something to copy and having a good look at the Danish originals. You could also be certain that the woodwork would be a lot better than Jim's, which was pretty amateurish.

Jacob":2xossfwn said:
Just been fag cupboard hunting. This is one of Malmsten's (scroll along 7 images). Very decorative but I guess it would have been brighter when new. Colourful even. Not enough colour nowadays IMHO

http://www.1stdibs.com/furniture_item_z ... 962&view=1

I'm pretty sure St Jim studied under Carl Malmsten at some time. He was also the link with William Morris and A & C in the UK so you are getting into difficult territory :D

Modernist":n73tyvun said:
Jacob":n73tyvun said:
Just been fag cupboard hunting. This is one of Malmsten's (scroll along 7 images). Very decorative but I guess it would have been brighter when new. Colourful even. Not enough colour nowadays IMHO

http://www.1stdibs.com/furniture_item_z ... 962&view=1

I'm pretty sure St Jim studied under Carl Malmsten at some time.
That's why I was having a look down Malmsten way. I thought there might be more obvious sources for the St Jim style but I can't see anything. The Danish link is inescapable.
He was also the link with William Morris and A & C in the UK so you are getting into difficult territory :D
Interesting, all the cross currents and influences.

bugbear":1o1qw4pi said:
Jacob":1o1qw4pi said:
But it brilliantly demonstrates the value of copying, as compared to the "creative" approach

Talent borrows, genius steals
- Oscar Wilde.

BugBear
Now there's a can of worms!
Personally, I like old furniture and really enjoy doing repro. work. Many others, more trendy than myself, disagree strongly and think everything has to push the boundaries and can be extremely dismissive of repro. work. To my mind, if a design was good in the first place, it's worth repeating or adapting and much of the furniture of 200 years ago is more pleasing than most contemporary work. This of course, is purely a matter of taste and I acknowlege that there is much excellent work being done nowadays.

Sawyer":33fzeb8r said:
......... Many others, more trendy than myself, disagree strongly and think everything has to push the boundaries and can be extremely dismissive of repro. work. .....
Cool table from Malmsten here. I wouldn't hesitate to copy it.

image_db.php

Nice - it's got a faint echo of some of your Welsh stuff, especially in the overhangs. Maybe that's why you like it?

Looks good to me. These links are quite fascinating, Jim was just a traveller at the time but I think there is something fundamental about the Danish approach.

Back