jigsaw??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tombo

Established Member
Reaction score
i hate my current jigsaw, but then it cost me less than 20 quid so i guess i got what i paid for. But as i will be at the tools show i thought i might get myself an early christmas prezzy, but what to get?

Most US forums rate bosch above all else, and it looks pretty good. But then there is festool or maybe a DeWalt and then again Makita gear is nice.

if it was your money what would you buy?

tom

Hi Tom

I bought the Festool and haven't regretted it for a minute.

Once you get over the shock of the initial cost you will actually enjoy using it. It is a pleasure, but ensure that you buy decent blades such as Lennox. Again they're expensive, but they do what it says on the can.

Cheers
Neil

I have the Bosch 135 and think its great. I did initially have the Metabo one and didn't get on with it - just didn't seem to be that great - blade bending too much etc.

I'm sure the Festool one is as good as Neil says but if your budget is a little smaller then I don't think you'd be disappointed with the Bosch.

Cheers

Tim

I've had a Makita 4340FCT for about three years now and I'm very pleased with it. Tool-less blade change, neon illuminates the cut line, blower that works, metal body. There's an offer on Axminster's page here if you're interested.

Ray.

one vote each for festool bosch and makita, anyone got a dewalt? also what are the feelings between 'D' handle and barrel grip?

Mighty happy with the Bosch GST100 for the last couple years. Think the current model is the 135.
Not a DeWally fan but I'm sure there're ok. Can't go much wrong with the Makita as well.

Noel

evening all,
the guy I work with has a Bosch, and it is a very good tool,
myself, I have a 18v Dewalt cordless jobby, both are as good as each other!

Bought a Bosch one a few years ago on the advice of the salesman. I usually buy Dewalt tools, but he said he had lots in for repair. Took a chance and hav'nt looked back. Mainly use it for cutting out sinktops in worktops so it has a hard life.

Stephen

I've a got a Bosch too, and it's fine. If I was buying new now I might think about the Festool though, simply because I've always been surprised that after splashing out I (genuinely) find they offer enough extra to make you feel like the money wasn't entirely wasted. Their jigsaw has some nice extra blade guidance and zero-clearance stuff.

Having said that, I wonder whether a jigsaw is the sort of thing that really needs too many frills. Solidity, yes, to gain any semblance of accuracy. But beyond that, it is never going to be a precision tool.

Thinking aloud here, but I'd go for a Bosch or possibly Makita, and save the Festool money for something where their little bit extra would count more.

tombo":340qpdc3 said:
one vote each for festool bosch and makita, anyone got a dewalt? also what are the feelings between 'D' handle and barrel grip?

I bought one of these: http://www.rutlands.co.uk/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/DW331K

about 3 months ago and used it almost every day. Can't fault it. Very ergonomic to use and excellent build quality. No tools needed to change the blades, either. Very pleased with it.

Cheers,

Howard

I'm another Bosch owner and it's given faithful service when required, I was thinking of up-grading to the festool but as I don't use the jigsaw a great deal decided against it, well for the moment anyway.

Good luck in your hunting

I've got the older version of Ray's Makita - it has given sterling service for 6 years. Highly recommended :)

Cheers,
Neil

I have the Dewalt, and am pleased with the performace. Slightly let down by the toolless blade change. The blade change has been redesigned on the latest model, which now makes it a good alround tool.

Bizzare but no dewalt at the show! I looked a the other manufacturers and kept coming back to the festool, because i wanted the barrel grip... so i flexed plastic muscle :). Bit dissapointed that they did not have one on the stand I'll have to wait next week...

Tom

Makita 4340FCT happy user.

It was recommended to me by my builder and since he wrecks tools at a great rate of knots and his Makita has survived his ministrations, it's more than up to the job.

Definitely go for one with a tool-less blade change...so useful.

Latest posts

Back