Jigsaw Blade

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikegtr

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
When using the jigsaw--cutting thin wood---a lot of the blade is not used. Any tips on using the untouched teeth on the blade? Perhaps to add extra height on the sole of the jigsaw? Is there other tricks of the trade used? Done a google search and nothing seems to come up for my question. The jigsaw in question is a Makita.

You could try making one or more removeable bases for the jigsaw. This could be a shallow plywood box that fits snuggly around the jigsaw base with a couple of swivel plywood bars to lock it to the base. The base should be thick enough so that you use the portion of unused blade.

I understand your reasoning behind this but I would say jigsaw blades are so cheap it's not worth the hassle which is probably why you can't find any info about it.

Have to agree with Doug71, I like getting my money's worth from something or as my wife say's " you're a tight old sod " but unless it's a special blade it is not worth worrying about the unused bit of the blade.

Have to agree with Doug71, I like getting my money's worth from something or as my wife say's " you're a tight old sod "
Decades ago I did an NC in general joinery. about everything was built using 5 or 6" nails, which were then pretty much discarded end of project.
We did have an old gentleman who collected them all, sat every lunchtime hammering them straight, which he then put in his bag to take home.

Wasn't you was it :LOL:

When using the jigsaw--cutting thin wood---a lot of the blade is not used. Any tips on using the untouched teeth on the blade? Perhaps to add extra height on the sole of the jigsaw? Is there other tricks of the trade used? Done a google search and nothing seems to come up for my question. The jigsaw in question is a Makita.
Buy your blades from Saxton - basic wood blades bought in 25s are about 56p each. Use them and throw them.
https://www.saxtonblades.co.uk/jigsaw-blades/wood-blades/t144d-jigsaw-blade

Decades ago I did an NC in general joinery. about everything was built using 5 or 6" nails, which were then pretty much discarded end of project.
We did have an old gentleman who collected them all, sat every lunchtime hammering them straight, which he then put in his bag to take home.

Wasn't you was it :LOL:
Reminds me of the YouTube vid of the Irish labourer throwing nails out the window because they were the wrong way around!!

Cheers James

You could also bunch cut your thin stuff, stack up to 1 1/2" then cut it, you'll get better cut and use up the blade too.

Might have been, was he a miserable old codger :LOL:
No actually he was a good bloke. Massive grey beard and spent most of his working life as a wood turner so had gigantic arms as well :LOL: He once silenced one of the younger cheeky neddy type students with a look that could have melted stone.

Last edited:
So how much should I spend on a file and how long should I take to sharpen my 56p blade? :)
Whatever it costs, and however long it takes, it's cheaper than having to drive to a supplier when you've run out of blades. I think that most woodworkers already possess a three-square saw file, and a 21/2 inch blade has, probably, around 30 teeth.

I love this forum.....
just to add, does anyone sharpen their bandsaw blades.....
did see a chap who did this and his blade certainly cut better than new....
I ask this as Tuff Saw wont post abroad and all thats available here is Bahco...
Nothing wrong with Bahco but I want Cobalt added to the blades...
or M46 (????) blades....
just askin.....

Im surpised that no one has suggested just snapping off the top shaped bit and grinding the blade to slide into the saw,,,perhaps only works with the older style pinch screw fitment, though grinding in the ears would I suppose also be possible. I used to do it years ago with my green plastic black and decker, esp when using the metal cutting blades and it was easy to do, and its a good trick if your stuck for a blade.
Steve.

Back