Jigsaw and drill advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A workbench? You're better equipped than I am ;) :) ! Don't worry if your projects aren't going according to plan right now - it won't be long before you master the skills necessary to make something you'll be proud of.

Have you thought of investing in a good woodwork textbook such as the Collins Complete Manual of Woodworking? It might be useful to have a good reference book to hand.

Gill

Thats an idea, thanks.I did have a look at one the other day but was distracted by the art books.

I collected the blanks from my friend that has the proper machine to cutout the shapes, they are fab.I want one of theose machines, around £200, my dad is trying to disuade me.
I have to sand thm, I bought sandpaper and a rasp tho cant see that the rasp is doing any good, how is it meant to be used??
Also there are small holes where the edges arent complety neat, is there any way i can fill them in,as sanding them to the same level would deform the rectangle.

I have tried drilling holes, jigsawing bits out and chiselling the edges.Im getting better bt im very impatient.I tried it on pine and sycamore.The beginning of the chiselling at the top is ok but when i get to the bottom it doesnt want to come away.Should i have marked out the shape on the other side and turned it over??

Now I actually have the wood blanks I can give myself permission to but decorative stuff.I bought some varnish with sparkly bits in it, mahohany stained wood with gold sparkle, mmm dreamy.

I have to sand thm, I bought sandpaper and a rasp tho cant see that the rasp is doing any good, how is it meant to be used??

Use it like a file, but rasp with the grain as much as you can, not directly across the grain.

I have tried drilling holes, jigsawing bits out and chiselling the edges.Im getting better bt im very impatient.I tried it on pine and sycamore.The beginning of the chiselling at the top is ok but when i get to the bottom it doesnt want to come away.Should i have marked out the shape on the other side and turned it over??

See comment above:
Mark out your holes on both sides.
Also work from both sides when chizeling. About half way through like with the drilling.

Thanks

Also what I found annoying was, I went out of my way to buy a bigger drill bit so I can get the jigsaw blade into 1 hole.
The bit was useless on its own, it took forever to go through.I found i had to use a smaller bit which drilled a hole in no time then change to the bigger bit and go over the same hole!!
How crazy is that!

The bit was useless on its own, it took forever to go through.I found i had to use a smaller bit which drilled a hole in no time then change to the bigger bit and go over the same hole!!
:shock: How hard is this wood :?: Sounds like you were using a seriously dull bit. Was it a cheap spade bit? they are pretty useless when they get blunt.

It was a proper wood bit, the spade wasnt much better, both took forever, but the little ones work a treat!

Back