Jig Making Accessory Suppliers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gill, I refuse to pay £5 odd for a knob and a sawn off bolt. I and a few others have used www.rockler.com , especially when they have a promotion on. Do a search for "jig" or "jig-it". Use the cheapest shipping method and they arrive in 10 days or so. Usually no duty.
There was a thread a month or 2 back. Here it is:
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... ht=rockler

Rgds

Noel
PS, think Screwfix do a threaded insert pack?

Gill,

I too have looked for items for jig making. Trend are just too damn expensive as are many of the well known tool shops. I just refuse to pay Axminster 3.80 + p&p for a small plastic Bristol Lever.

My internet searches have revealed that :-
1) Some of the industrial parts suppliers have what I need. But I have to buy a bag of ten...but the price per unit compared to Axminster is less than 50%...and I will eventually use the parts up.
2) I found that suppliers of castors...domestic and industrial often hold stocks of what I need

Not much help I know but I find that doing these searches has collected some key URL addresses for me and my location...you maybe need to do the same....good luck

Thanks for the suggestions. I reckon Rockler have got what I'm looking for.

Has anyone in the UK ordered anything from Rockler before? Having dealt with other 'Murican suppliers before, I presume it'll be quite straight forward but I thought I'd ask anyway :) .

Gill

Trouble is ordering from 'Murrica means imperial threads. :? Personally I find a little bit of effort will make you any number of knobs and such from readily available metric hardware, but it depends if time is more vital than money.

Cheers, Alf

I have ordered from Rockler without any problems.

Goods turned up about 2 weeks after ordering. No duty or VAT to pay.

Watch out for their postage charges though - they can be a bit silly!!

I bought a book from them, and the postage cost more than the book, but I didn't have a choice, as I couldn't find the book in question anywhere else.

Yes Gill, that's exactly what I got, times 2 along with few other things. As mentioned ordering is straight forward. Rockler will give you shipping options and the costs involved before confirming the order. Select Parcel Post Surface. Although they mention "up to 4 weeks" or something mine arrived in 10 days or so. You shouldn't get caught for duty either.

Noel

Alf's got me thinking about compatibility between metric and imperial - that can't be good :) ! So I followed beech1948s advice and searched the internet again for 'castors'. That didn't throw up anything useful, but when I started looking for 'threaded inserts' I found some potentially valuable sites. I've sent off for some catalogues from Components Direct and Ross Handling. I hope these companies sell to the retail trade (they seem to) but if they don't I'll put my business through Rockler.

I have thought about making my own jig accessories, but at 49p for a commercially available thumb screw, it hardly seems worth it.

Gill

Gill,

I have used Ross Handling before for both casters and jig fittings. Great comapny, fast turn round but if items are heavy postage can hurt the old pocket.

regards

alan

Hi Frank

Yup, Screwfix are a good option for the threaded inserts (so long as you only need M6 :roll: :) ). The only problem is that when I look at the Screwfix site, I also find lots of other little widgets that I don't really need but will qualify me for free postage. Suddenly, the inserts start to get a little expensive!

Gill

You can also get widgets slightly cheaper than Screwfix at Toolstation - they also have a slightly lower cut-off for free delivery £40 instead of £45 (still a lot of widgets though) but not quite as great a range - and, of course, one of the things they don't do is threaded inserts :x - but might be worth considering for other stuff.

I also noticed that Trend do a Craft range of knobs & levers which are much cheaper than their other knobs - D & M Tools have them, and I dare say other Trend dealers stock them as well - I've not bought any yet & have no idea what the quality is like but I'd be surprised if they werent OK for occasional use. Prices are much more acceptable - £7.64 for 4 off Female M8 Bristol Lever; £7.64 for 10 :shock: off Male M6x22 Lobe Knobs etc etc

Richard

Hi Gill

I found Rockler to be very good. As Noel said ensure that you get surface mail, as it's the cheapest. Mine arrived in seven or eight days.

The procedure is that you place your order and they send you an email with carriage costs before processing your order.

My experience is the same as everyone else, I had to pay neither vat nor duty.

They seem to have fairly regular sales so keep a look out for them as they are good value.

Cheers
Neil

Gill

Try this site RS components "rswww.co" massive site sells everything. We used them regular when I was at Pirelli.

Les

Wow! I searched the RS site for "thumb screw" and got 6619 returns :eek: ! Definitely a site to bear in mind for bulk purchases.

Gill

It's worth asking RS to send you a catalogue, I sometimes find it easier flipping through a catalogue than searching a website.

DW, nice one!!!

Gill, you should have your items today, hopefully i added enough stamps :wink:

Andy

Hi Taffy,

Taffy Turner":3oal61er said:
I bought a book from them, and the postage cost more than the book, but I didn't have a choice, as I couldn't find the book in question anywhere else.

For books, try the following I have ordered lots off them in the past.

www.abebooks.co.uk

Trev.

Back