Jig for Epoxy Resin

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevenkaz

Reaction score
Hi,
I've got a project (more of a trial) starting soon using epoxy resin. Can the jigs be made from MDF? If so, would they need to be waxed or something to get the resin 'panels' out once dried?

You possibly won't get a very good finish on your parts straight off the mould if you use MDF as it is quite furry when machined into shapes, this shouldn't be an issue if you plan on sanding the hardened epoxy anyway. I would possibly use a water-based varnish to finish the moulds and something like mould release spray before each casting on the moulds to help release the epoxy rather than wax, this has the added benefit that you can get the varnish to a very smooth finish and your parts would come out excellent.

I'm guessing that you are either casting or moulding with epoxy.Since its one of the best adhesives there is,you would be correct in assuming the surfaces to which you don't wish to remain attached will require a covering to ensure no adhesion.You can use MDF and it is best to give it a coat of sanding sealer,denib and then apply a few coats of a silicone free wax.Other types of finish may,or may not work,so try a test piece first.For basic flat panels you can use melamine faced chipboard and add wax with the benefit of automatically getting a good finish.

Back