Jig for cutting round pieces safely on the bandsaw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkDennehy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,
Recently had to make this cut on the bandsaw:

2021-02-14-11.01.19a.jpg

Now, I was stupid and careless and cut it using a mitre gauge and a sacrificial fence which didn't have clamping, and pulled the workpiece through the cut with my right hand behind the blade while steading everything (but not pushing) with my left and all was fine until the last moment when the blade jumped with a rather loud bang and I must have jumped as well...

2021-02-13-15.09.37a.jpg

I got very, very lucky while being very, very, very stupid. No nerve damage, no plastic surgery needed, only four stitches.
However, luck doesn't last, so I want to build a jig that will let me make cuts like that one safely.
But all my searching keeps turning up how to cut rounds out of rectilinear material, rather than cutting already round material, at an angle.
Does anyone have a suggestion for a suitable jig design please?

Can you make something to act as a cradle ( from scrap ply ) with a flat bottom, then hot glue the wokpiece into the cradle? You'd just have to line up the cutline accurately.
It could be done in the sense of a sled?

V block.
Sit the round in and cut through both. If you are doing more than one you can use tje prrcut onr for the rest of your cuts.

If your cutting a lot of those, might be a good idea to make a cradle up from some ply on a sled as said already, you could even put a hinged lid on it to keep it from spinning on said cradle, a wee tack on some waste that you would crosscut later might be an idea also.
Maybe something a bit like this

Hope you heal well
All the best

Tom

Mark, were you trying Richard Findlay's project in the last woodturning mag? Would you be better off parting right through then sanding them to match?

Almost Tris, I was trying the approach Steve took:

However, you'll notice (as I now do for obvious reasons!) that he gets his left hand out of the way of the bandsaw blade long before I did. That, and him having thirty-odd years more experience than me, is where I made my mistake 😬 :D (though I really do want to check the weld on that blade - never had this problem with tuffsaws blades, but these new ones just aren't as good)

edit: Just in case, let me say it very explicitly, this is all on me. Steve has a warning right up there in the video to be careful and that he's not giving lessons - this isn't on him in any way. I was stupid and careless and got bit for it (and was damn lucky not to be bit worse). Entirely my fault.

Love his videos, learnt more about using a skew in 10 minutes from one of his than hours of other people talking about it (still get catches though).
Hope you are back to full speed soon Mark

Tris

Hi folks,
Recently had to make this cut on the bandsaw:

2021-02-14-11.01.19a.jpg

Now, I was stupid and careless and cut it using a mitre gauge and a sacrificial fence which didn't have clamping, and pulled the workpiece through the cut with my right hand behind the blade while steading everything (but not pushing) with my left and all was fine until the last moment when the blade jumped with a rather loud bang and I must have jumped as well...

2021-02-13-15.09.37a.jpg

I got very, very lucky while being very, very, very stupid. No nerve damage, no plastic surgery needed, only four stitches.
However, luck doesn't last, so I want to build a jig that will let me make cuts like that one safely.
But all my searching keeps turning up how to cut rounds out of rectilinear material, rather than cutting already round material, at an angle.
Does anyone have a suggestion for a suitable jig design please?

Hi Mark
I was having the same troubles. I tried so many way to try to make circles on both the band saw and table saw. I ended up making this one from the you tube. Have a look its really easy to make
Good luck and stay well
Willie

Hot glue (or superglue, followed by some of the un-doer stuff later) the thing to something with a flat base.

Back