Jig Fixtures..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I'm in the process of slowly setting up my workshop in my garage, and am looking to start making my own jigs for table saw/router/drill press etc.

I've seen on the web, a company called Rockler (http://www.rockler.com) who supply a whole range of T-Track kits that let you drop in an aluminium T-slot extrusion into your worktop/jig etc.

Coupled with this is a range of Knobs, holddown clamps etc all of which can be used in various manners to create jigs that can be adjusted easily.

I have limited storage space, so the abilty to create jigs that can be manipulated easily and accuratley for use on different bits of kit is rather essential, so before I go ordering some of this stuff from the states, does anyone know if it or similar is available here.. About the closet stuff I've seen is from Trend, but its a little on the pricey side.

Regards.

Paul.

Cimares,

As well as Axminster, lots of goodies, get yourself a copy of the American Woodworker. It's bi-monthly and has lots of ideas on jigs and very good projects to build as well. In my opinion its much better than the British mags. I have built a few jigs now from this mag and they work well, so get yourself a copy.
Have fun setting up your workshop.

Slightly off topic, but I would agree with Woodtek that the US magazines are far better than those produced in the UK.

I subscribe to Fine Wood Working and love the way that they will show you multiple solutions to the same problem. An example from the latest issue was six ways to attach tabletops.

Whenever I pick up the magazine and read an article I am always impressed by the attention to detail and the excellent illustrations.

Cheers
Neil

Many thanks for the replies guys, I've had a good look at Axminster and have seen some of the things I need there, so I'll just have to shop around a bit.

The nice thing about the kits from Rockler is that they are just that ,Kits, which contained everything you need to incorporate a track system into your jigs. I know I can buy similar parts here, but its making sure that they all go together and make a nice snug fit.

I started the ordering process with Rockler, but the shipping costs were almost the same price as the parts themselves, which if Customs then hit me as well on the way into the country, I think the price was just too steep to make it worthwhile..

On another note, do you feel that there just isn't quite the following in this country to amateur woodworking that there is in the states? They certainly seem to have more suppliers dedicated to the home woodworker.

Regards

Paul..

Paul, ref the American suppliers. It is all down to simple economics, supply and demand. With a population of nearly 300 million if only 2% are interested in wood work that's 6 million potential customers.

AndyP

Indeed.. that and the fact that the majority of US householders have enough land to build a double garage that can be easily converted into a good size workshop. Something that most of us in the UK can only dream of.

Back to my original note, whilst hunting around the axminster site, I did manage to find something very similar to the Rockler track kit, but with a few less knobs and things.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/default.asp?part=MT0032

It will most certainly do the job I want.

Latest posts

Back