JIG COMPETITION - Now Closed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbie_Neil

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

This competition is open to any UKW member who is resident in the UK or Ireland.

The prize will be a year's subscription to the UK woodworking magazine of your choice. (Cost not to exceed 30GBP for a UK member, allowance will be made for postage to Ireland)

If you live outside the UK and Ireland you have to agree to pay the additional postage, but you are very welcome to enter.

You may enter up to three jigs.

Any other rules that I haven't ...blah...blah...blah.

The closing date will be 2nd July at 17.00

Winner to be announced at 17:00 on the 4th

What do you have to do?

I am looking for the most ingenious/user friendly/best designed/simplest/most useful/cheapest/well constructed/durable/adaptable jig that you have built in your workshop. It must not be a commercial jig.

It can be a copy of another jig as long as you have built it in your workshop.

Details must be published in this thread or with a url for the gallery.

Good luck
Neil

Here's my entry. About 40 mins to knock up over lunch. Few bits of angle iron and a lick of paint. Seems to work ok.
noel157-IMG_0009reduced.jpg

Rgds

Noel

Ok, OK, I'm now in 2nd place, momentarily.....

Rgds

Noel

Guys,

Good efforts, but you must have missed
It must not be a commercial jig nor a copy of another jig
which I reckon rules out pretty much anything I can think of, as well as Mr Myford's and Mr Delta's lovely entries... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Well, since it's in the gallery already I may as well enter my hinge mortice jig for starters. A copy of a commercial jig? Nope, I made this years ago as an original design without reference to any other commercial jigs - so I reckon it counts!
Details of the jig are included in the gallery description.

Aragorn,
That is a nice one - very posh. I whack my hinge routing jigs together with a nail gun and throw them away after use. Seeing yours, I might just make one like it next time I need one. The only trouble is space, I cleared out a load of jigs I had made in the past and not used since that were clogging up the workshop, when I got my new tablesaw and had to make room for it.

Anyway, due to the tedious rule that Alf reminds us of, I think your jig wins so far!

HI Aragorn
That is excellent. I, too, have a box of various hinge jigs banged together in a few minutes, but that looks very nice. If I make one, I will add a thin layer of play to the bottom of jig, then rout through it with the bush and bit. That way the very bottom, where it is in contact with the door, will be exactly the same size as the aperture which will actually be cut, so you can set the position of the fence and stop directly from the hinge, and not have to worry about that bit/bush offset.
I'll have a root around my workshop for my own contribution (mind you, finding something totally original may prove a challenge.....)
Cheers
Steve

Steve
Great! An excellent addition to the jig. The ply will give you a setting line on the left side only, as the right side gives you the variable width, but this is all you need to set up the jig. Thanks for the tip - I may well add it to my jig!

Aragorm
There is nothing to stop you having the same thing on the moving piece as well, is there? As you say, it's not vital, but it would make it even easier to set. If the problem is the block sliding over the existing ply, it could be made so the locking bolt was horizontal through the jig, not vertical, alighnment could be ensured by having the slider made with a tongue on the back edge running in a matching groove, and the locking bolt having a Bristol lever on the end, so it was always out of the way.
Oooh, I can feel a jig-making session coming on!
Cheers
Steve

Yes - very nice variations!
Mind you now - if you make this new and improved jig, will you be entering it into the competition as an original :D

Strictly speaking and to be boringly pedantic for the moment, only Noel's and my jigs come close at the moment, because they hold the workpiece where it's wanted and are thus jigs. The otherwise excellent entries are not jigs but fixtures (fixed to the workpiece you see?) that guide the tool.

Unless Neil revises the rules to include other stuff, nobody is on a winner yet!

OK I will go and stand in the corner now..

Whilst I don't expect to win, here is my tenoning jig made last weekend. Works very nicely thank you :wink:

Tenon.JPG

Cheers

Tony

Edited to say that this is a jig Chris as it holds the wood and protects my pinkies

Gary H":2oqn9d09 said:
Wahey!! 500 posts Tony! :D

Well done and a worthwhile post too! :wink:

No jig idea for me yet. :oops:

Ta muchly

Gary

Ta Gary - I hadn't noticed :shock:

This could be a jig.

I'll let the judges decide.

Addition of an X-Y vice to the morticer included modifying the base. Also had to get two extensions made for the rear legs to fit the vice in! The machine is tranformed and actually acccurate and useful now and so I made the previous jig for the tenons :wink:

Morticer.JPG

Cheers

Tony

My circle jig for the PC router. Works quite well really, also shows the base I made for routing edges of table tops etc.

CircleAndBase.JPG

Cheers

Tony

Latest posts

Back