JIG COMPETITION - Now Closed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right gidon, The plastic board covers up to 18" cross cut & less than half that for a mitre.
Mine was up to 24" crosscut & trenching.
Needs some additions like stops to keep trenches correct distance apart.

See PM for ideas on stops.
I'm terrible at using MSPaint though but you should get the idea.

Hi all

As you are aware there was a tie for first place in the competition and as there was only one prize I had a bit of a dilemna.

Anyway, thanks to Good Woodworking, there are now two prizes of a year's subscription to GWW.

Tony and Gidon have agreed to the changes.

Once again, many thanks to Good Woodworking for their generosity.

Cheers
Neil

Here is the jig I made for accurately drilling contiboard.
I just took these pics with a cheap poor quality digital cam.
The drill holes are exactly centred in the channel which is 15mm wide for melamine chipboard.
The drilling bush holes start exactly 1½" (38.1mm) from the square end and are the same distance apart to work with standard melamine chipboard sizes which go up in 3" widths.
The jig is 18" long so it can be laid on the board from both ends to take up to 36" wide boards

Top view showing bush holes and 3 drill bushes (8mm)
Jig1.jpg

Under view showing channel
Jig2.jpg

Underview showing one channel side removed for corner drilling
Jig3.jpg

I've been using this jig since 1988 for making anything out of contiboard.
It uses 2 size bushes 3/16" for No8 screw clearance & 8mm for plastic chipboard plug (no longer made) or dowels.
The bushes can be moved in seconds to accomodate different board widths.

A new jig will be made the same design but with the channel width for use on 25mm par timber (approx 22mm)
It will need more care making by hand as the original was made on a vertical milling machine at work which I no longer have access to.

Big thanks to Neil - the first copies of a subsciption to New Woodworking arrived through my door this morning! I'm in the strange position of having more woodworking mags than I can read at the minute!

Anyhow, they have sent me both November and December issues. I already have a copy of the November issue ... so first person to reply to this other threadcan have it.

Thanks again Neil.

Cheers

Gidon

Latest posts

Back