JIG COMPETITION - Now Closed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
aaahhh ! :oops: Sorry: the previous guest was me again !
Alberto

P.S. Wouldn't it be best not to allow "guest" posts ?

Well, here's my humble entry:
noel157-IMG_00052Sacrificalfence.jpg

A sacrificial fence made out of ply contiboard with an adjustable featherboard and another featherboard with computer hard drive magnets that adhere to the table. The fence is a box that fits snugly over the tablesaw fence.

Rgds

Noel
PS Is that 3 jigs? 3 entries?....

Noely,
Sorry Mate-you are disqualified due to the use of a Dado head :lol: :twisted:

cheers,
Philly :D
p.s. just heard a song on the radio-"I'm just a jig-olo.."

Furthermore, the HSE will be along shortly to check up on what other obviously dangerous, socially irresponsible, climate changing tools you may have!

Guarding was removed for photographic purposes....
As some of you may want to recall I employ an overhead guard system.
And me saw was designed to used a stacked dado. So there!

Rgds

Noel, HSE compliant.

Some very nice efforts.

This is a jig I built recently when I was doing our flooring and wasn't keen to splash out on a large capacity (crosscut mitre saw):

standard.jpg

It's a crosscut mitre jig for my circular saw. The left hand oak rail is screwed so can be adjusted for different sized circular saws or for routers. Trenching cuts could be made with a router or a circular saw although I haven't tried it.

It need to be quite large to allow for mitre cuts over 200mm. There is actually a toggle clamp missing which attaches to the fence for smaller cuts. The rails are waxed for smooth running. It works well and didn't take long to make. Based on a commercial jig I've seen and a popular mechanics article. Could be an awful lot better with some more thought! But has proved very useful.

Cheers

Gidon

The siplest jigs are always the best, my entry is a piece of half inch silver steel which has been machined to a point on one end of the rod.

This tool is then entered into my half inch router and when required is placed on the centre line of a mortice. The jig is then extracted and replaced with the mortice cutter. Any sliding jig board to cut mortices on can then be used.
Please post magazine to:-

xxxxxxx

Thank you everyone for posting your jigs. It has been really useful.

Judging is now taking place with four of us from the UK and one from the US.

Each Judge will vote independently. They will nominate a 1st, 2nd and 3rd earning 5, 3 and 1 point respectively. All five judge's points will be added up to give the overall winner.

Results will follow on Sunday 4th July at 17:00.

Thanks again
Neil

Good morning all

Firstly, let me say thank you to everybody who entered a jig and also to my fellow judges for taking the time to review all of the entries. The votes are all in and counting has commenced.

Judges have voted for jigs from as far away as Australia, Italy and Ireland. Only one jig received votes from all five judges. In the end only one point separated the first three.

We felt that the very first entries by Chris and Noel deserved a special mention. So here it is, a special mention for Chris and Noel.

The judges, in no particular order, were Adam, Alf, Charley and Wood1000. OK, so it is in alfabetical order. :wink:

As with all good Euro competitions the winners will be announced in reverse order. :wink:

Third place goes to Aragorn (with a little help from Steve Maskerey) for his hinge jig. Congratulations to you both.

Second place will be announced at 1pm.

Neil

Good afternoon all

There is no second place as we had a tie for number one, numero uno.

Cheers
Neil

PS Sorry Alberto, I got carried away. :wink:

Good afternoon

This is the big one. The one you've all been waiting for. Who are the winners?

Well, in no particular order, the joint winners are: -

Gidon and Tony (for his dado jig)

Congratulations and well done both of you.

You will be contacted about your prize in the next few days.

Thank you to everyone who entered.

Cheers
Neil

:oops: Flattered!
Many thanks Neil & Co for running the competition and stumping up the prize!

Bravissimi !

Best congratulations to all winners and a special mention to the organising committee !

Greetings
Alberto

gidon, that's the same as the MAC mitre board that became the biggest selling accessory in Canada & USA a couple of years ago.
That one has a fixed rail and the second rail can be adjusted to any circular saw or router.
A similar jig I made proved a bit too big for a small workshop. I kept tripping over it. :)
http://www.macboard.qc.ca/indexe.html

Dewy - that's the one. And a similiar design featured in pop mechanics. I guess there aren't really many variations on the idea.

I keep tripping over mine too :).

Cheers

Gidon

Latest posts

Back