JIG COMPETITION - Now Closed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gary H":3u8vqwwv said:
Nice tenoning jig, Tony. Simple and effective.

As an aside, what is the P/Pro router table like? Any good? Oh and how much?

Ta muchly

Gary

Thanks Gary. I am quite chuffed with the jig - Works really well. Only change I would make is to replace the toggle clamps with cut down cramps. You know, the type where you slide the clamping head along a rectangular section with teeth on the back as I feel that this would be more secure.

(like the largest ones in this picture) http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.as ... 2133&g=116

Router table is not too bad BUT I didn't like the plastic insert plate that the router mounts onto as it was not completely flat and so had an aluminium plate made. There are loads of adjuster screws though and it may have simply been my table rather tha nall of 'em.
Fence is very good indeed. I am considering putting plastic doors on the chamber under the table to provide better dust extraction as quite a lot flies out here. Top extraction works well.

Cost about £80 on offer - I think normal price is about £150 but they are often reduced in our B&Q and I think they are currently £119.

Cheers

Tony

Here a couple of very simple jigs I made for the production of my folding chairs
Dscn2106s.jpg
Dscn2101s.jpg

Which are all finished and a picture is in the gallery :D

Alf as UKIP now has 12 seats, do I need to make some more? :wink:

DaveL":239oe6yb said:
Alf as UKIP now has 12 seats, do I need to make some more? :wink:
Heh heh, forgotten that. :D You'd better stain them orange to go with Kilroy's tan while you're at it. :lol:

Cheers, Alf

I also have the PPP router table and would echo what tony has said, I`m considering having an aluminium insert plate made for mine as the deflection is just TOO much.

well worth it for the price!

hi tony and kity user i wonder what router you use in the pro table because i also have one also when buying a new router how do you get the base of the router central so the bit is bang on centre

cheers
Rich

Rich/kityuser.
When I mounted my cheapo router in a home-made table, the base had a black plastic plate on the bottom. ( I thinkiit's to lessen the friction, or something :? ). This was handy as it unscrewed and i used this as a template to drill the holes in the table surface. Longer screws then bolt through the table and into the existind router base holes (4 of them).
Not sure if all routers are the same though as I haven't had the pleasure of using the more expensive 'devils'.
Not sure if this helps at all.

Ta muchly

Gary

er.. maybe it's not exactly a jig (what about a retro-fit ?) and I'm possibly out of contest because of nationality problems, yet I'm proposing a micrometric vertical adjustement for a (cheap) Bosch router as I have. Please forgive possible approximate/obscure would-be English terms: I hope you will grasp anyway how it works.

Well. Step1: screw a 6mm screwed bar of at least 10cm (or 4 inches) into the righ-hand piston. Don't worry, you should find a hole already there, God knows what for.

fresa1-e.jpg

Step2. Take an aluminium tube of 9cm fitting the above piston. Say, external 15mm/internal 13mm and fix a 6mm bolt at one end

fresa2-e.jpg

Step3. Screw the tube into the bar.

fresa3-e.jpg

Step4. You are now ready to mi-cro-met-ri-cally adjust your router !

fresa4-e.jpg

Voilà ! Cheap, simple and effective !
Cheers
Alberto

mantrakalas":3qntks4r said:
you should find a hole already there, God knows what for.

Alberto,

The tapped hole on my Bosch router has a screw with an over size washer to stop the router lifting off the pillars if you pick it up with the clamp undone.

RULE CHANGE

TO allow more people to enter the rule about original jigs has been removed.

The end date has now been extended to the 2nd July.

Cheers
Neil

Newbie_Neil":33zss7oh said:
RULE CHANGE

TO allow more people to enter the rule about original jigs has been removed.

The end date has now been extended to the 2nd July.

Cheers
Neil

Ahh.. I see you were getting worried that I'd win :p

Cheers

Tony

rockerau":f3jioox7 said:
Isn't the rule about being a UK resident a bit parochial?

rockerau, would you be ready to take the lead of a non-UK participants upheaval :D ?

Great jig, yours, by the way... !
Greetings
Alberto

Anonymous":2nf7gk8v said:
rockerau":2nf7gk8v said:
Isn't the rule about being a UK resident a bit parochial?

rockerau, would you be ready to take the lead of a non-UK participants upheaval :D ?

Great jig, yours, by the way... !
Greetings
Alberto

ooops, sorry: the previous guest was me :oops: !

Alberto,

As a resident of the European Union, of which Britain still claims to be a member (despite Mr Kilroy-Silk's efforts), you have just as much right to feel aggrieved at being excluded as I do. Actually, I cannot see why the competition should not be open to all forum members, regardless of where they live. Some members of this forum are members of the Australian woodworking forum, and I am sure that they would not be similarly discriminated against by our forum, which prides itself in having a number of overseas members. I suppose a foreign subscription to a British magazine would be more expensive, but I would be happy to pay the difference, if I won. I am not sure how this competition is funded, but perhaps competitions should be self-funded by requiring an entry-fee from competitors. Anyway, I would be interested to hear the reasons that the organisers have for excluding non-residents of Britain.

Rockerau

Rock, Alberto,

Didn't you see the competition rules? There is an overseas category although I'm not sure what the prize is for the winner.......

Seriously, I'm sure Neil would have little objection to agreeing to the suggestion of the winner funding any additional postage costs. Neil?

Rgds

Noel

Hi Rockerau/Alberto

I have no objection to you paying the additional postage if you win.

I am funding this competition myself and I was trying to limit the amount being paid to a reasonable figure.

The idea was for it to be a way of people displaying their jigs and for others, such as myself, to learn.

Cheers
Neil

Neil,

It is very generous of you to sponsor the competition out of your own pocket. I had assumed there was a commercial sponsor, or that the money had been raised by some other forum activity. Anyway, thank you for allowing us foreigners to compete. Perhaps the rules should state that the winner is obligated to fund the next competition.

Rockerau

Newbie_Neil":2hy8ijth said:
The idea was for it to be a way of people displaying their jigs and for others, such as myself, to learn.

Neil, I was just joking :lol: :lol: :lol: (the possibilities for me to win against such a bunch of ... professional amateurs (uh !) are hopeless anyway !).

Yours is a great initiative and an invaluable mine of good ideas !

Cheers
Alberto

Back