jewelry stand project. Project now finally finished

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinytim1458

Established Member
Reaction score
It may be a subject that has come up from time to time but here goes. I am building my wife a jewelry stand with a necklace stand on the top. The top piece needs to rotate round so that she can turn it to get what necklace she wants from it.
Is there another way to make the top piece rotate without using a bearing the post and bottom of the stand have been made but i am yet to turn the top piece until i can figure a way to have it rotate separatly from the post. The top will once it is made or turned have some posts sticking out of the top to hold the necklaces. Your help would be appreciated as my wife's birthday present is on hold until i can figure out the top piece rotation as she would get fed up quickly having to turn the whole thing round just to get a single necklace the other side.
Thanks tim

Attachments

• 01052012234-001.jpg
    01052012234-001.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 1,811
  • 01052012235-001.jpg
    01052012235-001.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 1,811
does it need a bearing- cant you just make it a friction fit, and sand it sightly looser?- she isnt going to be wizzing it round at 5000rpm. A bit of wax might stop it sticking

Make the central spindle go all the way through the top disc, but with a shoulder below it for support. In other words, turn the top bit of the spindle thinner than the rest, and poke it through the top. Drill the top to a loose fit. You could then turn a finial (with a central hole in it) to cover the top of the spindle - this could be a tight fit or glued.

I think the tenon definitely needs to go deeper or it will wobble and as Marcross says, a little candle wax will keep it from sticking.

Andy

The only advise I can offer is to add weight to the base. This will help with stability and also help to overcome any friction when rotating the top section.

I also suspect your wife has too many necklaces!!! Only kidding.

Roy

Yes i can definatly say she has too many necklaces though if they were worth anything would be something. The ideas you have given me i have already incorporated great minds think alike but what i wanted to to do was make her stand silly person proof. What it is when she decides to move things about or when she cleans up she would probably pick it up by the top or by the necklace pegs and wanted a way for it to rotate but still stay on if she did pick it by the top or the pegs. I did come up with one design and that was to cut the top a bit bigger then needed and either use a metal ring or wooden ring glued to the top of the post or wooden plug so that so that either way it could not go to far up or down so no matter if my wife carried it by the bottom or top it would not slip apart. Would also stop the boys taking it apart if they ever got their hands on it.
Thanks for the suggestions guys though good ideas.
Thanks tim

Tim,

I assume you are turnng this?

How about making the top and the spindle one piece. On the end of the spindle, (at the bottom), have a piece with a larger diameter- so that the end of the spindle looks like a bolt head. Where that goes into the base, you could drill a hole large enough to allow the "bolt head" to spin freely and deeper than this "bolt head" that you have turned on the spindle. It is held in place by a disk- like a washer/doughnut etc, glued only to the sides of the base. The hole in the middle is just larger than the spindle, but smaller than the end. You may have to do the washer in 2 halves to get it fitted. Just make sure there is no glue that could fix washer to spindle.

Without scanning something in, I cant post a picture. If you are unsure what I mean, drop me a PM with an email address and I will do it at work tomorrow.

Tim,

How is the project going- did you get the design sorted?

Mark

The project is going ok but not getting in the workshop as much as i need to, though i had planned for that so getting on with it but have to be careful as i have to make some toys and things for the local round table for them to sell at their charity stall, Giving the items for free but if they are good enough they are an advertisment in themselves.
Here goes a few photo's of progress so far.
If anyone has any comments or Tips or anything else to add that would or could improve it in any way please feel free to comment, as i am just trying to teach myself here so any help or info is always welcome

Attachments

• IMAG0031 (427x640).jpg
    IMAG0031 (427x640).jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 1,449
  • IMAG0033 (427x640).jpg
    IMAG0033 (427x640).jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 1,449
  • IMAG0032 (427x640).jpg
    IMAG0032 (427x640).jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 1,449
  • IMAG0030 (427x640).jpg
    IMAG0030 (427x640).jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 1,449
looking good so far. Does it spin how you wanted it to?

ARe you using a contrasting timber for the pegs?

What finish will you use?

marcros":1knrburj said:
looking good so far. Does it spin how you wanted it to?

ARe you using a contrasting timber for the pegs?

What finish will you use?

Hi Marcros last question answered first.
I am just using a few coats of friction polish at the moment after using a sanding sealer nothing to fancy.
The pegs hopefully will be dark red if they come out ok.
As for the spinning top i am still working on that one as i want it to look like one solid piece but for it to suprise her that the top turns free from the rest of it so still working on that one but i have been given great advise on ways to do it without the top coming off if she lifts it up to dust or gets one necklace caught against another but hopefull that will on happen if i make the pegs right.
The two layer system is so that i can offset a set of lower pegs for more necklaces
Thanks for asking.
Tim

At last i have now finished this stand for my wife's birthday, ahead of time so i can make a few other things now.
Hope she likes it after all that work.
The 8 pegs going horizontal on the top are for her necklaces and maybe bracelets if she finds room, the vertical pegs are for rings and the dish is for her earings until she gets me or asks me to make her an earing stand.
Hope you guys like it as its my first real project since playing round with the lathe now and again.
What do you guys think.
Thanks for looking
Tim

Attachments

• 27052012256-001.jpg
    27052012256-001.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 1,242
Back