Jewellery box saga from unowho

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Day 14

Did some overtime today and got that compartment finished. The first task was to cut some brass sheeting to the under aperture dimensions, this was two sheets with solder between to give some firmness. Next a M4 brass bolt was selected and head removed, a 3.5mm hole was drilled into the knob and the bolt fixed with epoxy. A hole was drilled down through that top compartment lid and through the brass sheeting which has been glued and screwed to the underside of compartment box. A brass nut was then soldered to the underside of the brass sheeting, the bolt had been inserted but its thread covered with Vaseline to stop any solder creeping in to the thread and then locking to that nut.
All went well without any c ock ups. The top oak lid of the jewellery box had three indentations drilled to accommodate the protrusions of that secret compartment (the nut and two plate fixing screws)

Finally the whole top piece was then glued to the lid and screws will be inserted from underside the lid later when glue has set.

comp1w.jpg

compartment2w.jpg

compartment3w.jpg

compartment4w.jpg

Pleased to write that the top compartment has turned out a success and the lid not having hinges means that it is natural to lift away top holding the knob and the raised side panel. This means anyone not aware of the other compartment has no sight of its whereabouts even when lid is off the box. The weight of the oak top is quite substantial and lies in very comfortably.

Internal compartments will be constructed sometime in the near future and then the finish applied to this piece plus there is that 13 drawer embroidery box and another desk box also awaiting the finish which will be clear shellac and wax polish. To be honest this part of the workload I find a chore but I suppose must be done. In my model railway making days it was quite traditional to send brass engines away to a professional painter but woodwork does not seem to expect that operation.

I will post photographs of all the items again when finish is applied.

Picture of box now awaiting compartments and finish.

boxtw1.jpg

Thanks for watching and the assistance offered by many and for those wooden knobs, sending me veneers and those helpful tips along the way.

My Return.

Pleased to post some more photographs of the jewellery box with that secret compartment.

The box has now had a coat of shellac and a waxed finish applied (together with the two previous projects, that was two whole days standing at a bench with a brush in hand and then polishing rags, not the best part of my hobby)

These pictures show a bottom compartment made from some 6 mm prepared sycamore and end glued to form a tray, another top tray has been prepared which has the dividers set across the tray to enable fingers to grip and then lift out. Janet is then going to make some velvet cushions to make the box look more gentile and accommodating.

internal1w.jpg

internal2w.jpg

internal3w.jpg

In addition some photographs attached of the cotton box finished and with contents which were completed last autumn also that 13 drawer embroidery box is now in place and already 2/3rd full.

cottonbox1w.jpg

13drawerboxcontents1w.jpg

Finally I have started a new project, I am calling it a remote control tidy box and at the moment regret to say I do not have my usual confidence on a successful completion for this project but if interested I will start a progress thread.

controllers1w.jpg

controllers2w.jpg

Hi DW
Where do you get your materials from, ie the brass sheet and the wood itself? Im still struggling to find anywhere local to us, though Ive found one possible wood supplier that I havent had the time to check out yet.
Mike

mr":dp0gvzdp said:
Hi DW
Where do you get your materials from, ie the brass sheet and the wood itself? Im still struggling to find anywhere local to us, though Ive found one possible wood supplier that I havent had the time to check out yet.
Mike

Yandles at Martock has been the best choice for me around 90 minutes driving time away. Otherwise its Plymouth . Sycamore I purchased mail order but there was around 50% wastage. Teak around 10 cu ft I got from a skip[ :) :) :) free. (worth £500?)

Brass sheet you could get from Mainly Trains (Watchett) mail order . there is a catalogue available on line.

The only other thing you should need is the money of course :)

Slightly off thread.

The top compartment tray on the jewellery box has now had some small brass screws put in beneath the tray to give more long time stability and support to those crossbars that are the means of lifting off the top tray.

I had to show you what SWMBO gets up to whilst I am out in the cold workshop, central heating is on, and little Dino is keeping her company and lets her know if she deviates from her embroidery pattern.

janetdinow.jpg

In the meantime have you got one of these fitted up in the workshop, its an electric battery screwdriver connected fulltime to the charger together with accompanying bits and a chuck for the countersink if and when required.

haveyougotoneofthese.jpg

The remote tidy is coming on as per these two pictures.

remotetidyw.jpg

rfemotetidy2w.jpg

Slacking again,

Look at this.

cold.jpg

Minus 2.

Some pictures showing progress a couple of days ago on that remote control tidy.
The sides have been cut on the bandsaw and then put to that belt sander. I must admit I held the pieces very gingerly after that accident the other week, even put on a pair of leather gloves.
The part assembled tidy has not yet been glued up but I have come to a stop awaiting the present cold snap to end also a turner friend here in the UK and I have come up we think with something new to complete this project so if interested watch this space as they say.

shaped1w.jpg

partassembledw.jpg

Thats a big box for your remotes DW. How many do you have????

Your not going to keep it next to the TV are ya :lol: :lol:

Nice job BTW :wink:

Andy

Great job on the boxes DW, It gives me plenty of pre-warning before I start my own box project, thanks.

By the way, did you know you can now get remote controls that take the place of all your others so you only end up with one?

ByronBlack":1xj2t6ek said:
Great job on the boxes DW, It gives me plenty of pre-warning before I start my own box project, thanks.

By the way, did you know you can now get remote controls that take the place of all your others so you only end up with one?

One of the remotes is supposed to operate as such but it doesn't seem to work. :?

No woodwork done today owing to cold snap so got out some holiday photographs and did a water colour.

Photograph taken 2003 on the island of Corfu (N.Coast)

2003_1016_085420w.jpg

Painting done Weds 25th Jan 06.

corfupaintingw.jpg

I can trust her with all but one....... the volume controller.

It's too loud, turn it down.... not a chance when i'm in control 8)

Andy

Back