Jet60A - Coming Unscrewed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aragorn

Established Member
Reaction score
<Language incompetence alert: Total Lack of Proper Jargon Incoming...>

The screws (about M4 allen key doobies) that hold a widget (square section metal rod) in place between the wheels that drive the cutterblock on my Jet 60A keep coming unscrewed.

The first time it happen I thought it was just a poor setup thing, found the screws amongst the sawdust and just screwed them back again. Then it happened again, then it started happening regularly.

Now I can't do 5 minutes of planing without having to take the belt guard off and flaff about tightening the screws.
Doesn't seem right does it?

Is there something I can use to stop these screws backing out of their home?
Should I stop these screws backing out?
Are they backing out because something else is wrong?
Does anyone know what I'm talking about!?

The Jet is otherwise excellent, but this little problem is making using it a nightmare. I'm worried about losing the screws or the widget thing down the dust extractor!

Aragorn It sounds like a touch of vibration is letting the screws go, There are several ways to cure this, spring washers being the easiest and they do often work, My preference would be to use a little nutlock or threadlock they will holod the screws fast. Thread locking compounds can be purchased from almost all engineering suppliers. Be careful how much you put on as M4 threads can shear easily when removing them after thredlocking. As a footnote most if not all threadlocking compounds can be broken down by gentle heating.

Not exactly certain of the cause but I have a possible solution

Bean

Like Bean, I agree that some kind of retention is needed here; spring washers may not be appropriate if there's the slightest chance of there being a clarence prob... If the screws are securing a "fit and forget" part i.e. a non removable during service item, I'd lock them down with Loctite 242... if they need to be removable, I'd use Loctite 222, if clarence isn't an issue I'd use more traditional flat and spring washers. Additionally, I'd contact Jet... things shouldn't be coming apart like that in operation....

Ok Aragorn, these are the little grub screws that hold the pulley onto the shaft? As Chris and others have suggested some type of thread lock would work, no room for spring washers.I've only had a look at the bottom pulley but seem to recall it's the same arrangement up at the cutter head. BTW, also best to check that the pulley has not moved on the shaft and is no longer in line with the other.
Bit of luck discovering the screw.

Noel.

PS, if you have no thread lock handy, a dab of hot melt on the top should work on a temporary basis.

Grub
Pulley
Shaft

Such simple words. Brain not engaged earlier.
Thanks for the suggestions. I will check the alignment Noely, sounds like a good idea.
I don't just want to lock/glue these grub screws in place if their coming undone indicates another problem.
Best get on to Jet.

Aragorn It may indicate that the screws did not get their dab of threadlocking compound at the manufacturers or at the Jet factory, as simple as that. But it may be wise to check

Bean

Back