Jet Washers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Argus, for tarmac, or any walls you can reach, dilute soda crystals in water, I use approx 2 -3 cups (mugs) into a watering can. This us effective, will stop the moss taking up water and it will die back in a few days. Alternative is bicarbonate soda, but soda crystals more economic. If I remember correctly, there’s a couple of times in the year when is best to clear moss prior, as its spores twice a year, early spring and autumn.

Another thumbs up for kranzle. I had mine for a good 15 years. Had an oil seal go, no problem, service kit still available and it runs like new again.

I have the Karcher K7, total electronic power control as well as the flow control with the trigger. Rated for continuous use. Decent power for sure.

I agree that Karcher are dreadful and frankly a waste of money. The engineering is appalling; for instance the outlet fitting on mine was integrated into the zinc die cast pump body, so when the thread corroded the pump had to be replaced. And the flexible hose fittings are not brass or stainless but plain steel, so they corrode really badly. And there were many other issues; leaking seals, the pressure switch not working. Don't get me started...
I strongly recommend Kranzle. I have the 1152TST which is a joy to use. You only have to look at it to admire the engineering. The flexible hose is on a reel, and very long. And the power is awesome.
Andrew

My old karcher failed in the summer, decided to go and get a stihl re130, without a doubt the best pressure washer I've used, well thought out, tough build and awesome cleaning power, quiet too! Was about 250 with a free patio head.

The roof is fairly clear - all done a couple of years ago. The moss is on walls (painted) and tarmac. There are a lot of rocky outcrops here and the moss grows in great swags all over it; that isn't a problem, it comes off and rolls up in sheets. A gardener down the road will take all I have for lining baskets.
The stuff in the tarmac is tenacious and gets slippery in the wet.
I suppose that the copper induces a static charge? can't think of any other reason. Does it work?
I think the way it works is stopping the moss from growing. Its toxic to moss. I think copper is used for pond treatments to stop algae growth

I had a Karcher and it was junk. I bought a Stihl about 2 years ago and it’s been brilliant. I had a problem with the first one but my Stihl dealer just replaced the whole unit, no questions.
As has been mentioned here already, look beyond the quoted “headline” figures and you’ll see that there’s more to it. When I compared them the Karcher had more PSI but the but could only deliver it over a very small area so it would have taken forever to clean a patio for example. The Stihl has a better warranty and feels like it’s built for some serious work despite it’s reasonable price tag.

I know what you mean about the moss where you are - we used to have a share in a cottage in the cambrians between llanidloes and machynlleth. The farmer at the bottom of the hill collects it to sell to reptile owners!
At work we have a big old karcher steam cleaner for washing the vans. It's dirt simple, we bought it second hand and the 2 times it's gone wrong we fixed it ourselves easily. I think there is a big difference between the domestic stuff they sell and industrial grade.

I bought a Karcher many years ago, it was rubbish!! I then opted for a cheap and cheerful Nilfisk, to be fair it has been ok for my uses. However, I have just splashed the cash for a petrol Hyundai HYW2500P, it delivers 2800psi and the reviews have been v good.

Another recommendation for Kranzle. A totally different league to Karcher.
I have had a Comet for a long time and it’s seen a lot of heavy use and has been faultless. However, you would need to check if there’s a dealer in your area.
Sometimes the brands you’ve never heard of are the better option. Preferable to the “as seen on TV” consumer brands.

Last edited:
I've had three Nilfisk over the years, but - thank goodness - I then bought a Kranzle HD7/122 TS. It's continuously rated, so won't trip any overheat switches, as the Nilfisks regularly did. It's extremely well-built (22kgs) and very robust, maximum pressure 135 bar. I store it on my garage bench, with Kranzle's accessory rack on the wall adjacent, so it's got no extra footprint at all. The photographs show it in storage, the specification label, the rack (standard nozzle, adjustable nozzle and two-part right-angle nozzle, plus a foam dispenser), preparing for use and ready for use. I think the hose is 10 metres (extra cost), but it does everything I need it to, without fuss and with very little noise. Hope that's of interest?

kranz02.jpg
kranz05.jpg
kranz03.jpg
kranz04.jpg
kranz07.jpg
kranz01.jpg
kranz06.jpg

Latest posts

Back