Jet washers that can suck from tanks - recommendations?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pallet Fancier

Established Member
Reaction score
My ancient Karcher K1 seems to have died. I'm looking around for what's available and thought it would be quite useful to have one that can draw from a water tank for harder to reach places, or where the tap is miles away. I got caught out last year trying with a hose that was just a few feet too short to reach the tap!

Screwfix have got a 150 bar one by Titan. It seems a reasonable alternative to the yellow things.

I've also noticed a few reviews of the latest Karchers that say their build quality is bad, now. Trading on their brand name and shaving the pennies at the Chinese factory?

Nilfisk gets a good write-up as well.

Can either of these be run from a water butt? The Titan has a filter on the water inlet but I can find no mention of a suction hose attachment or a review that says they tried it.

Budget is up to £150.

Like u got fed up with the Karcher models....almost a year in they would quit.....
For not a lot more I bought a Chinese petrol engined one (copy of the Honda)...
faultless even after 10 years of cleaning down tractors and other farm equipment....
(often run for hours) It would suck from a stream.....
I bought it because a replacement pump was about £50 available seperately.....
never needed one....

Just to add the Karcher Vacs are really good and worth buying....

Have a look at the nilfisk c140 I got one last year-140 bar , 3 power settings, integral hose . If memory serves me correct you will need an end filter for use with a tank, I wanted a yellow one but was put off by poor reviews, quality issues and reliability. I’ve had no issues with my nilfisk and would not hesitate to purchase another one . I left a review on Amazon as there was some confusion regarding a non return valve shown in the manual ( not reqd)

Amazon are doing entry-level Bosch Aquatak 110 for £65. Won't strip paint off, but does the job.

Details here

Comes with foam gun & 2 nozzles.

I use mine for my motorbike, fed from 25 litre jerrycan. You just need a pickup tube with a hozelok type connector, which is not supplied.

Amazon are doing entry-level Bosch Aquatak 110 for £65. Won't strip paint off, but does the job.

Details here

Comes with foam gun & 2 nozzles.

I use mine for my motorbike, fed from 25 litre jerrycan. You just need a pickup tube with a hozelok type connector, which is not supplied.
Good shape too. I my experience electric pressure washers tend to fall over!

I have had a few Nilfisk machines and they do suck water in. At my elderly fathers house with no outside tap we just put the hose end in the toilet cistern and it works great.
Over the years the machines do tend to have a limited life and they now specify the type of use each machine is designed for eg light diy/ hobby, continuous for an hour or 2 or professional all day with prices to match but I have stuck with them as pretty reliable

I have had a few Nilfisk machines and they do suck water in. At my elderly fathers house with no outside tap we just put the hose end in the toilet cistern and it works great.
Over the years the machines do tend to have a limited life and they now specify the type of use each machine is designed for eg light diy/ hobby, continuous for an hour or 2 or professional all day with prices to match but I have stuck with them as pretty reliable
Absolutely if used for the intended purpose as per the makers instructions then they will do the job but I guess we all sometimes expect more of our tools and equipment.

The smaller Nilfisk models are evolved from the Kew range - the Kew Hobby was a domestic washer that I would rate as the ‘Henry’ of power washers - virtually indestructible. The domestic end of the Karcher range is rubbish and Nilfisk decent.
I have a Comet (forerunner to the Comet Scout) which has done a huge amount of work over the past 25-30 years and still going strong, so I would be hard pushed to look at anything else. I would strongly suggest that you should look at these.

Can you get the water butt about 6ft in the air?
In my experience, that's usually enough pressure.

A pond pump to fill a higher tank is not expensive...

I have a four year old Karcher K7, decent enough bit of kit and I use it from a 20l plastic Jerry can for remote jobs. It’ll work off a standard garden butt as well as mains hose. K5 does as well.

Well, it should come as no surprise to anyone that I ended up with the Lidl one! ;)

I don't know if I'm just used to my small and relatively quiet ancient K1, but this thing is noisy! It reckons it has a maximum pressure of 170 bar, but doesn't say what the operating pressure might be. I would presume less than 150. But again, it's a noisy object! The vario/rotating/turbo nozzle thing is a revelation, however! Just don't use it on anything you want to keep.

It just feels a bit clunky. (And did I mention it's noisy like Satan's Friday night curry farts?)

Being Lidl, I can basically take it back no questions asked, and for the same money have a Titan brand equivalent from Screwfix, but would that be any different?

Well, it should come as no surprise to anyone that I ended up with the Lidl one! ;)

I don't know if I'm just used to my small and relatively quiet ancient K1, but this thing is noisy! It reckons it has a maximum pressure of 170 bar, but doesn't say what the operating pressure might be. I would presume less than 150. But again, it's a noisy object! The vario/rotating/turbo nozzle thing is a revelation, however! Just don't use it on anything you want to keep.

It just feels a bit clunky. (And did I mention it's noisy like Satan's Friday night curry farts?)

Being Lidl, I can basically take it back no questions asked, and for the same money have a Titan brand equivalent from Screwfix, but would that be any different?
I can only comment on my nilfisk c 140 but I can’t find any sound level information on it , I can however give a layman’s description of the noise level which I would rate at low to medium and I can use it comfortably without ear defenders . Sound level is measured in db - higher the db rating the higher the noise level but a lot of makers don’t quote this information.

I saw a Slovakian bloke reviewing the Parkside. He had a sound meter and he measured it at somewhere between 83 and 85db. That's around the legal limit at which you need hearing protection. Anything at 70db is considered a nuisance in residential areas, but I'm not sure the sound is travelling very far. The motor is a bit high pitched, but the noise is all from the end of the lance. It's mostly me getting it! I think I'd be more comfortable wearing defenders.

It does have a 10 meter hose, but it doesn't have access to accessories unless you got them on the day (there weren't any - stuck in a shipping container, somewhere, apparently). It's quite a big lump as well. Takes up space. But it definitely cleans! Very powerful.

I saw a Slovakian bloke reviewing the Parkside. He had a sound meter and he measured it at somewhere between 83 and 85db. That's around the legal limit at which you need hearing protection. Anything at 70db is considered a nuisance in residential areas, but I'm not sure the sound is travelling very far. The motor is a bit high pitched, but the noise is all from the end of the lance. It's mostly me getting it! I think I'd be more comfortable wearing defenders.

It does have a 10 meter hose, but it doesn't have access to accessories unless you got them on the day (there weren't any - stuck in a shipping container, somewhere, apparently). It's quite a big lump as well. Takes up space. But it definitely cleans! Very powerful.
Lidl have a pressure washer on offer from this thursday that actually says in its description about not needing a mains supply

https://www.lidl.co.uk/p/garden-upkeep/parkside-high-pressure-cleaner/p50941[/QUOTE. That’s unfortunately where the cheaper models get you (accessories) I got a decent deal with mine as the patio cleaner was on offer when buying the machine. If your happy with the job it does I would definitely get any accessories you may need asap as your lance may not be compatible with other makes . Use your washer as much as possible and if in any doubt as you said-take it back and start again. Did my slabs and they are as old as my flat - approx 60 years . Will try to find the pics I took..

Found them

Attachments

• 193F3C27-D6D8-46DA-9F80-4107BEA76DC0.png
    193F3C27-D6D8-46DA-9F80-4107BEA76DC0.png
    828.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 5572CA41-6C39-40C3-9DD2-8713DA4C0B5B.png
    5572CA41-6C39-40C3-9DD2-8713DA4C0B5B.png
    743 KB · Views: 9
  • 8AD7A5E5-58C9-40E2-8608-DC9F1F33FC09.png
    8AD7A5E5-58C9-40E2-8608-DC9F1F33FC09.png
    751.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 0E96D8DE-F20A-4AFF-8907-D5C1ABEA2196.png