Jet tool rests

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

narrowboater

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking for alternate tool rests for my Jet 1642, the spindle dia. is 1" . I visited Axminster in Nuneaton yesterday, and tried a rest for one of their lathes in a Jet lathe, there spindle size is 25mm. I wondered whether the small amount of movement would be a problem, and where I could get the correct size rests from. I did see, can't remember where, a system where you get a spindle with a screw thread on it, and then bought the size rests that you want. My problem with that is the problem of the thread coming loose when you don't want it to, and not coming loose when you do!!

Have you looked at the Sorby toolrest system (they do both 1" and 25mm stems and a range of rests which screw onto the stems). I have just bought one of these and find them much better than the one which came with my Axminster lathe.

Mike

Thanks Mike, I have just found the system I mentioned above , it is available from Turners Retreat, I don't know if it is the sorby sysem, I will have a look.

Regards
Rod

Stiles and bates sell a round tbar rest and their catalogue says they can provide custom thicknesses - don't know what it would cost but might be an option if all else fails.

The Wivamac lathes have a 1" toolpost and their toolrests are available in 150, 300 and 600mm sizes. These are also available from the Toolpost.

narrowboater":1fei3q4f said:
I am looking for alternate tool rests for my Jet 1642, the spindle dia. is 1" . I visited Axminster in Nuneaton yesterday, and tried a rest for one of their lathes in a Jet lathe, there spindle size is 25mm. I wondered whether the small amount of movement would be a problem,
As long as your clamping bolt/lever etc. is sound there should not be enough play with the missing .4 of a mm to be a problem.

The other direction amounts to a lot of emery paper and elbow grease but the .4mm reduction should be not a great deal worse than may systems as supplied.

Can you find a local with silver soldering capability and a metal lathe? then you can make up tool rests to your own requirements.

The Sorby stems are readily available in 1" diameter as others have said. They are the cheap part and I think they open up the possibility of making your own custom tool rests andbanjo attachments of all sorts.

For a toolrest all you then need is a cross-bar tapped to take the thread of the stem.

To tap the bar you will also need a set of M12x1.25 taps and ArcEuroTrade sell these for a bit less than the price of a Sorby hardened cross-bar. The tapping drill is 10.8mm and they also sell them cheaply in HSS-E.

I've made several toolrests of various shapes and sizes just with a few drills, taps, files and a hacksaw.
HTH
Jon

Jon

Now that's a good idea, I might give that a try. Thanks as usual to all for the help and advice. I have said it before but the help available on this forum is great, many thanks again.

Regards
Rod

Latest posts

Back