JET SUPERSAW

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonny boy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello, as i have had the saw for two months now, i feel it appropriate for the review.

On arrival the saw is packaged well, safely and stood on a pallet. Arrives virtually constructed with only the fence, left wing/right wing or sliding table and outfeed table to fit.

The qualityof cast iron was spot on, really flat and smooth. (I can comment on the left wing and sliding table version as I have had both of them.) The left and right wings are bolted onto the main table with heavy threaded fixings, they fit really tight and flush up to the edge and a close look can only reveal them. A lot of iron wings differ from the main table on some saws and relly stand out which can be annoying. The sliding table is a really heavy unit and runs smoothly on two sets of runners, shims are included to get it really accurate and close to the table.
The fence is a heavy aluminum extrusion with a heavy cast head which slides on the guide rail, another heavy extrusion. The fence slides fairly smoothly but can be improved further with light lubrication. I found it to lock really ridgidly and hold its position. Many people on other reviews in the states have not been happy with the fence in the past but I know that Jet worked on this area and it seems fine now.
The raising and tilting is made via LARGE cast iron hand wheels and theese are also smooth to operate after two or three rotations.The saw has four wide cast iron feet which can be adjusted to get it dead horizontal.(no need for bits of packing under each corner).
The saw is also supplied with a legth of hose to connect the crown guard to the main extraction below the table. This is also an area Jet worked on and the dust is now funnelled down on sloped sides directly into the hose and works great with minimal dust accumilation. Now to use the saw.

On starting up, the saw is quiet and smooth. The blade reaches speed after 1-2 seconds. I personally could register no arbor run out and the old trick of standing coins on end etc. proved this. First cut on some 25mm oak was like a knife through butter. I then tried 2 inch maple to see if the 1 3/4hp motor was up to it. The motor doesn't have the same power as any 3 horse but it coped with the maple with no trouble. Using a 40 tooth combination blade gave really nice smooth cuts on both woods and the fence also delivered.

On summing up, This saw is heavy, precise and smooth. The paint job is even tough being powder coated. I personally prefer the fixed left wing as opposed to the sliding table which would not be suitable for large panels anyway. The left wing with mitre slot and gauge is better for quick accurate cross cuts IMHO. I have also never seen a table with so much cast iron surface, an extension table to the right is not needed because theres so much of it. If you need to move the saw due to lack of space you will need the mobile base, before I bough the saw I diddn't believe the reports of it being so heavy but I can safely say that you will not move it without one. All in all, The Jet name is tried and tested throughout the world and all the cobwebs seem to have been shaken out of this machine while in the USA. After working on Wadkins and Altendorf panel saws at work, I was quite wary about non industrial machines but the saw is solid, accurate, smooth, made by a good manufacturer and will last you a life time. What more do you need from a saw? Oh, and one last thing, The customer service from Jet in Axminster is first class, know their stuff and will give any help or advice when needed.

cheers,
jonny.

I had mine two weeks and I'd agree with all that Jonny :D :D :D

Hi,

Im seriously considering buying the jet tablesaw, but im unsure as to whether or not it would be up to the more demanding tasks such as ripping 2 1/2 inch oak boards. its not as if i would be using the saw day in day out, but when i do use it theres a good chance i'll be doing so quite demanding stuff. And of course i want it to give accurate results.
Having owned the saw, do you think its up to my requirements, or do you reccommed that i go for something more industrial (my budget however is £1000)? Your advice would be much appreciated!
Cheers

Hi Adam86

adam86":f3yla10c said:
but im unsure as to whether or not it would be up to the more demanding tasks such as ripping 2 1/2 inch oak boards

Jet, unlike every other manufacturer, quote the output figures for their motors not the input. If you search on here you will find lots of threads explaining the difference.

I don't believe that you'll have any problems with 2 1/2" oak. IIRC, the most I've cut is 2" oak and knife and butter come to mind.

Cheers
Neil

jonny boy":23p37rr3 said:
I personally prefer the fixed left wing as opposed to the sliding table which would not be suitable for large panels anyway. The left wing with mitre slot and gauge is better for quick accurate cross cuts IMHO.

Are you saying the mitre gauge is giving you better results on crosscutting than the sliding table?
My own experience with Luna, Electra Bekum and Startrite would be directly contrary. Do you think there might be a problem with the Jet sliding table?

John

I've ripped 2 1/2" oak and it wasn't a problem

In that case, I think the Jet sounds ideal for my needs. Its really good to get reassurance from people who have actually used the saw, as opposed to salesmen who just tell you what you want to hear!

Adam,

The one word which would probably suit the SS best is "precision".
If time and care is taken to set the saw up accurately, Then that's the way it performs. The internal castings are machined to a very good standard and when adjustments are made, they return to the origional bang on settings everytime. On the question of motor power for cutting thick timbers, If the saw was needed to rip at it's full depth of cut for preparing rough boards all the time or for most of it's time, Then I would say even a three horse would be laboured and an industrial machine would be best suited, but the occasional full depth rip will pose no problems with the SS and as previously mentioned, the 1.75hp motor is the actual output which is plenty for home use. The main thing to remember when it comes to cutting hard and thick timbers is the quality of blade used, I use the Dewalt series 60's and swear by them. CMT also do good blades and either of these will deliver the perfomance you want.
On the point of sliding table versus mitre gauge, The Supersaw sliding table gives a maximum crosscut of around 700mm which is less than can be achived by a home made sled. I can now crosscut more than the sliding table would allow and use mitre gauges and my tenoning jig which has to be the best option.

cheers,
jonathan

Back