Jet Supersaw questions?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know why Axminster might be flogging these with a couple of hundred quid off? Is there something new about to emerge or is it just the competition from the the disciples of Norm/Philly/Woodford?

Can anyone offer any comment/comaprison between the SS and the TS2500Ci and the Woodford? I know there were comparisons with the former in the mags but they were all early on in the proceedings. I was wondering how people have got on with them in the meantime. Is there really much to chose between them for someone who can’t get excited enough about tablesaws to need EB3s and Norm-style tenoning jigs?...although, saying that, does the SS have a standard mitre slot?

I know the SS is a hybrid and not really a proper cabinet saw but are the capabilities of these three roughly similar? (I hardly ever use sheet materials so that’s not an issue really)

Are adverse comments on the SS fence justified? Can it be set to within 1/10mm as Scheppach claim for theirs? I take it the 4mm sliding table misalignment mentioned in an early thread was an aberration??

How good is the SS sliding table? Smooth? Any play where there shouldn’t be?

And what about dust extraction? Some people have said it wasn’t great. Yes/No/Maybe??

My Scottishness likes the thought of a few quid off and it would cover the cost of shipping to France which Axminster are quite good at (unlike a lot of others in the UK who aren’t interested in the hassle).

Would appreciate any thoughts/comments and sorry about the barrage of questions! :oops:

PS: Neil, I apologise if you're the only supersaw owner in this corner of the internet and feel obliged to answer all this!

Hi Scott

Scott":2ssbzq1q said:
Does anyone know why Axminster might be flogging these with a couple of hundred quid off? Is there something new about to emerge or is it just the competition from the the disciples of Norm/Philly/Woodford?

I'm sure that it is to do with the competition. Virtually the whole range has been reduced. The exchange rate is also very good at the moment.

Can anyone offer any comment/comaprison between the SS and the TS2500Ci and the Woodford? I know there were comparisons with the former in the mags but they were all early on in the proceedings. I was wondering how people have got on with them in the meantime. Is there really much to chose between them for someone who can’t get excited enough about tablesaws to need EB3s and Norm-style tenoning jigs?...although, saying that, does the SS have a standard mitre slot?

Sorry I can't offer any comparisons between the three. The SS has an excellent mitre slot. The hold down on the sliding table is very simple and effective.

I know the SS is a hybrid and not really a proper cabinet saw but are the capabilities of these three roughly similar? (I hardly ever use sheet materials so that’s not an issue really)

I don't have space to use sheet material on my saw. Altogether now. :-({|= But, I believe that, they are roughly similar.

Are adverse comments on the SS fence justified? Can it be set to within 1/10mm as Scheppach claim for theirs? I take it the 4mm sliding table misalignment mentioned in an early thread was an aberration??

Any model you buy now will have the later fence, as I did, and you would find it is excellent.

How good is the SS sliding table? Smooth? Any play where there shouldn’t be?

It's excellent. The only problem was setting it up in the first place.

And what about dust extraction? Some people have said it wasn’t great. Yes/No/Maybe??

If this problem still exists, it is a US issue. The UK model has always had slightly different extraction and it works a treat.

My Scottishness likes the thought of a few quid off and it would cover the cost of shipping to France which Axminster are quite good at (unlike a lot of others in the UK who aren’t interested in the hassle).

IIRC, from the posts on here about the Scheppach and particularly the Woodford, there are some slight quality issues with the others that didn't apply to the SS. Please don't ask me what they are, you'll need to search and read a lot. (Waiting to be shot down in flames on this one Frank).

Would appreciate any thoughts/comments and sorry about the barrage of questions! :oops:

OK, let's start with the negatives. As Adam mentioned in his review you can't fully lower the riving knife below the table to give you a completely flat surface. It isn't much but it's still there. The solution would be to cut some off the riving knife but you would then lose the top fitting for the crown guard so I've not done anything. Also removal of the crown guard is a slow process as you have to unthread the bolt all of the way. It could do with something like a Bristol cam lock(?) for quick release.

Overall, I am very impressed with the quality of manufacture. The motor is just so quiet in operation. It is also a left tilter, which is generally regarded as being safer.

PS: Neil, I apologise if you're the only supersaw owner in this corner of the internet and feel obliged to answer all this!

I think all three would do a good job for you. But, personally, if I was buying again I would still go for the Jet.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Neil

PS Whichever one you go for, I would recommend that you get one of the more robust wheelkits so that you can move the saw around easily.

Neil

That's brilliant! Thanks for your detailed response. I'm very tempted now!

I'm fortunate enough that I wouldn't need to move it so a wheel kit isn't a major priority (subtle workshop size gloat :D )

All the best

Scott
I agree with everything Neill said. I have a SS and you can give it any name you like but it is still a damn good saw. Who cares if it is a hybrid - so are lots of other things but that does not mean they are bad.

Cheers.

SF

SF

You'll do for me :D

I'll ask Axminster how much the shipping would be :shock:

Scott,

Apparently these guys do Jet Machines in france:
Paris Machines
4, Avenue des Violettes
FR - 94384 Bonneuil-sur-Marne Cedex
Tel: +33 1 43 77 75 62
Fax: +33 1 43 99 55 19
[email protected]

Not that i've used them, but found them while looking for info on Irish distibutors of Jet stuff!

Actually, it is possible to lower the riving knife below the table - with a little bit of adjustment.
The riving knife has a slot in it that locates on a pair of pins. This stops the knife dropping too low and interfering with the teeth of the saw blade.
The knife is held securely in place by a nut and bolt that clamp it onto a sliding base. This arrangement allows the distance from the saw blade to be varied.
I found it is possible to move the knife down and back away from the blade but this means the pins no longer locate in the slot and the knife is than angled sideways because the pins foul the side of the knife. All I did was work out where the knife needed to be to miss the saw blade and then drilled two holes in the knife corresponding to the positions of each of the pins. The result is that the knife sits lower and further back but is still close to, but not in contact with the saw blade.
No cutting, no loss of full height of the knife and very easy to change over. All you need to remember is that you must not undo the nut and bolt too much or you might drop it into the base of the saw. Also it is obviously important to do the whole thing up tight, but that goes for all the rest of the equipment too.
It's easy but could be slightly tricky if you have got very large fingers.
Cheers.
SF

Hi SF

Shadowfax":gz78lr3h said:
Actually, it is possible to lower the riving knife below the table - with a little bit of adjustment.

That's great news.

Is it possible that you could take a photograph? I think I understand what you are saying but I would like to be 100% certain.

Also have you done anything about the crown guard and the length of time it takes to remove?

Cheers
Neil

Hi Neil
I'm not at home at the moment so taking any pictures will not be possible for a while but I will see what I can arrange when I get back.
Basically, I just fiddled with the knife until it loooked to be in about the right position relative to the saw blade (I think I removed the fixing bolt temporarily while I did this) and then marked where the pins needed to go through the knife. A bit of masking tape stuck on the side of the knife will allow you to push the knife against the pins, thus leaving dents in the tape where the holes need to be drilled.
As long as the bolt still goes through the slot you will not need to do any filing or anything like that.
My crown guard was already held on by a bristol lever so it is fairly quick to remove. Is yours fixed with a nut and bolt? If it is I can see that could be a bit frustrating.
Let me know how you get on.
Cheers.

SF

Hi SF

Thanks for getting back to me.

Yes, mine is fixed with a bolt all the way through. So taking it off is so time consuming. They've obviously recognised the problem as yours has a Bristol lever.

Cheers
Neil

hello all, the supersaw has been changed over in the states, it now has a full cabinet as opposed to the legs, the motor and everything else on the saw is still the same though. i've spoken to Jet and the new version will be available around October time. i have the current supersaw and find the space underneath is exellent for storage and would rather this than a full cabinet.

Yeah, welcome Jonny Boy.

Thanks for your input. I don't think i'd be too fussy about a cabinet base either.

hi, does anyone have the supersaw with the left fixed wing. i have the sliding table but i'm still missing the mitre gauge for quick crosscutting. jet can supply the mitre gauge for about £15 but this sounds a little too cheap for my liking. can anyone explain what the quality of the gauge is like and would i be better off putting the money towards a more accurate aftermarket one. cheers, jonny.

I have looked at the jet saw mentioned and the sliding carriage was my main concern.
Will this carriage stand up to a lot of cross cut mode?
I'm thinking, it doesn't have a dado attachment so if you are wanting to cut the cheeks off a tenon for an example there will be constant sliding across the blade using the moving carriage.
Are the bearings etc upto this sort of abuse?

Hi, the bearings are located in a track system, having one set on the top laid horizontally and one set mounted vertically on the side. having this configuration will keep accuracy IMHO and should stand the test of time. the main problems arising would be dust accumilation but regular cleaning and lube will avoid any such issues. having said all this though, i personally would opt for the fixed left wing version if bought again as it would then have the real feel of a cabinet saw. the price of the left wing is only £72 inc vat which i think is an exellent price for such a substantial piece of finely ground iron. having both options though will be exellent and swapping over the two tables when needed will certainly keep you fit! cheers, jonny.

Hi DW

devonwoody":3vlya2z5 said:
I'm thinking, it doesn't have a dado attachment

I know that one member of this forum imported the necessary parts from the US for, iirc, about forty dollars.

But, having said all of that why do you want a dado blade? I have a simple setup that works like a dream with the router. I can set it up in seconds and cut perfectly repeatable flat-bottomed dados safely.

Cheers
Neil

Hi DW

devonwoody":3n692jbk said:
Hi Neil,
I see you like to repeat yourself :D :D :D :D

Yes, I thought that something wasn't quite right when I edited my post and it came out with everything inside quotes. I'd obviously pressed the quote button instead of the edit one.

Just put it down to a senior moment. :wink:

Cheers
Neil

Back