Jet Mini chuck choice advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jensmith

Established Member
Reaction score
After my day with Richard last week I decided to get a wood lathe and I'm getting the Jet 1014 mini wood lathe.

I'm a bit unsure as to which chuck to go for though. Axminster sell the K8 and the K10 Clubman chucks or I've also seen the Patriot chuck.

I want to be able to do some miniature turning with whichever chuck I go with as well as normal turning, but I also want to make sure that the chuck will be ok with the Jet mini. The K8 doesn't have the same choice of jaw options so it looks like, for small work holding, I'd have to go for the K10 or the Patriot. The patriot has jaws for miniature work that go down to 14mm. The Axminster small 'F' jaws go down to 19mm plain bore.

Does anyone use either of these with the Jet mini and or use the chucks in general and have opinions on which might be the best to go for?

Thanks,

Jennifer

Personally I would go for the Axminster because it had a wider range of jaws and if you get a bigger lathe, you can always move up to one of the bigger chucks if needed and still use the same sets of jaws.

For gripping small pieces of wood, Axminster also do the internal/external step jaws which go down to a few mm. You can also use any of the 80mm jaws on the K10 or any of the other 100mm chucks.

Hi Jennifer,
I'd agree with Paul, to go for a K10 rather than a K8 because it's slightly more flexible and will accept the 80mm jaws too.

I think the choice of chuck is quite a personal one but it comes down to jaw availability and long-term support. In these respects you cannot go far wrong with either the Axminster or Patriot chucks.

One almost unique feature of the Axminster chucks (The Versachuck can also do this I believe) is that the jaws can be left attached to their own jaw carriers which makes jaw swapping a quick and easy thing rather than requiring 8 hex cap screws to be unscrewed and then screwed back in and re-aligned.

By far my favourite jaw set for the Axminster chucks is the O'Donnell Jaw Set http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-axminster-odonnell-jaw-sets-prod804392/ which is very flexible. You can also add your own soft linings in wood or nylon to the larger jaws retaining them with M5 socket head screws to go as small as you like for your miniature work.

HTH
Jon

Thanks all for the great advice. I'll have another look at all the options and see what looks best. Part of the problem is there's almost too much choice!

Back