Jet JWBS-18Q or Startrite 502E or n4400 bandsawh

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi guys need some advice please......... i am buying new band saw i have thise modles in mind Jet JWBS-18Q or Startrite 502E or hammer n4400 band saw not sure confused #-o please help.

any input much appreciated

ahmad

Hi,

I cant comment specifically on the models you've referred to, although I have a jet jwbs-16 which is a smaller cousin of the jwbs-18 and i think it's a fair bandsaw that could be improved if it was heavier in order to minimise vibrations.
If I were you I'd try to see each model in the flesh and check the following: vibrations while running, easy access to upper and lower guides to accommodate different width blades (a real chore on mine) and the existence of a quick release mechanism. Also check rigidity of fence and worktable dimensions.
If you cannot test each machine personally go with the heaviest model. Bear in mind though that most of the performance is related to the blade quality and not the machine itself, but weight and stiffness in construction help a lot

I know the Startrite is good, but the Hammer is reckoned to be excellent. I heard from inside Felder (makers of Hammer) that the Hammer machines were priced to attack the U.S. market and are a very strong deal. If I was replacing my BS500 tomorrow it would be the Hammer, I am fairly sure. Unfortunately I am not :cry:

I've got the 502E which is a good saw and at the time that I bought it was several hundred pounds cheaper than the N4400. I looked at the jet and axminster equivalents and they were not as solid in my opinion - things like the mounting for the fence on the 502E were much better. If you can afford the extra and can wait for delivery then I'd go for the N4400.

HTH

Steve

hi
i have purchased Startrite 502e bandsaw and it is excellent and heavy very smooth to run. i also ordered some blades from tuffsaw.
thankyou for your help guys

regards

ahmad

Back