JET JWBS-16X

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take the guide off and we can have a look at it, if you've not done so already.
An idea just might come to you.... when your not hunkered down eating sawdust,
and scratching some freshly bruised part of your head/nursing some other injury.

Failing that, a photo might help us find a replacement, or give some helpful forum member a better idea of the size of metal they would need to make up a replacement for you, if feesable.
Be it an engineer or welder...
I'd also take a measurement of the mounting shaft to see if an off the shelf guide or something else might suffice either.

All the best.
Tom

@Ttrees Here's the photos of the offending part. The top of the casting where the thread is has snapped.
IMG_8657.JPG
IMG_8658.JPG
IMG_8657.JPG
IMG_8661.JPG
IMG_8657.JPG

I have a quote from Baileigh, but the lead time is 16 weeks. I'm not sure what harm it'll do if I run the bandsaw with no lower "thrust" bearing / guide. I suspect since the top one's still OK, it just means I have to be a little more gentle on cuts without it.

I would try and weld it, I know plenty of folks say this is a specialized job,
but I wouldn't be concerned as its not exactly bearing any force.
You can buy "all weld" rods for the job.
I bought an ark welder for 50 euros in Lidl some time ago, what's that £45 and it would do the job.
Great value for money and has definitely earned its keep, little bigger than a shoe box so can be stowed away easily.

SAM_4083 (copy).JPG

Even for the naysayers about welding cast iron, never had a problem myself
You could make up a mild steel bracket to either bolt onto the existing cast part or even replace it all together.
Failing that, head to the metalwork section and ask about this there.
Straight forward easy job to do, and not more intricate like a GL456 guide for example.

If that doesn't work out, and you don't want to weld it, you could make up a block from some aluminum or steel to bolt onto it.
Cut the old lump off flush, drill and countersink hole through it underneath, to allow for a bolt or two to screw into tapped holes in new lump.

Tom
tap the lump a

I would try and weld it, I know plenty of folks say this is a specialized job,
but I wouldn't be concerned as its not exactly bearing any force.
You can buy "all weld" rods for the job.
I bought an ark welder for 50 euros in Lidl some time ago, what's that £45 and it would do the job.
Great value for money and has definitely earned its keep, little bigger than a shoe box so can be stowed away easily.

View attachment 101306

Even for the naysayers about welding cast iron, never had a problem myself
You could make up a mild steel bracket to either bolt onto the existing cast part or even replace it all together.
Failing that, head to the metalwork section and ask about this there.
Straight forward easy job to do, and not more intricate like a GL456 guide for example.

If that doesn't work out, and you don't want to weld it, you could make up a block from some aluminum or steel to bolt onto it.
Cut the old lump off flush, drill and countersink hole through it underneath, to allow for a bolt or two to screw into tapped holes in new lump.

Tom
tap the lump a
I may asking the guys in the unit down the road - they’re metalworkers (I’m not). That sounds like a good plan.

Back