JET JWBS-16X

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nelly111s

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got this JET bandsaw and I've managed to break the lower guide assembly (don't ask). I may be able to get a spare (they are available in the US, not sure yet about the UK), but does anyone know of an aftermarket / retrofit guide system for this saw? The lower guidebushes are a pain to alter, particularly the fore/aft direction and a new solution may be a better bet than a spare part.

(they are available in the US, not sure yet about the UK)
Hi Nelly, if you are trying to source exact replacements in UK then try Axminster first if they have any spares left over on the shelf - but they are no longer Jet distributors.
If not then Baileigh are new UK importers for Jet. www.baileighindustrial.co.uk - give them a call/mail.
Lower guides were a pain to alter I agree - but I never heard of any suitable aftermarket guides I'm afraid. Someone else may know though.
Cheers, Nick - ex Jet.

Theres a good review on here(2015) though you have it now, so maybe not needed.
One thing ive done on my RP bandsaw is to put draft excluder around all the doors and other points that are open(for blade change etc) which makes a huge difference to the efficiency of the extractor in that it seals it better and creates a better negative vacuum inside.

Also have a chat with Dave at D B Keighley Machinery. He was a Jet supplier and has his own engineering workshop for repairing etc wood machines. He's helped me in the past and will give good advice. It maybe he could even repair your old one. Good luck.

Thanks for your help guys. I've been in touch with Baileigh Industrial and whilst the price is OK, it's a 16 week lead time (on a boat from the US). Maybe a call to Dave is in order ...

Theres a good review on here(2015) though you have it now, so maybe not needed.
One thing ive done on my RP bandsaw is to put draft excluder around all the doors and other points that are open(for blade change etc) which makes a huge difference to the efficiency of the extractor in that it seals it better and creates a better negative vacuum inside.

That sounds like a good idea, what did you use?

Are you sure.....

Wisdom on here is that a draught is required to draw away the dust....others will chip in! (Bad I know!)

Cheers James

Well I'm thinking that if you seal the doors, it will force more air to be drawn from around the blade and table area?

I had a look for the guides in question and cannot find out which guides you have.
Can you post a picture of the broken part?
Guessing it's cheap pot metal casting, and a replacement will likely be made of the same thing, if the same design and not an upgrade.

Something might be just the thing for the job, and get you going again, instead of
paying a large amount on a replacement.

Tom

Are you sure.....

Wisdom on here is that a draught is required to draw away the dust....others will chip in! (Bad I know!)

Cheers James
Just the standard around the door stuff, I got it from the pound shop. P shaped, the P section on the inside the 'tab' the edge of the door sat against, and as the edge of the door is sharp it pushed it in enough for it to close and the catches engage.

As to air being needed to aid extraction, I would say its not going to seal it entirely like on a spacecraft ;) There will be gaps elsewhere on the machine the air will get sucked in from. Blade adjuster etc.

I’ve also got the same band saw and have looked for years for a replacement set of bearing guides to no avail. I have a US contact who would have posted them to me, but they just don’t seem to be made by any of the after market guide makers like Carters.

Cheers for the correction, Nick.
My apologies for any confusion I may have caused. 😔
No apologies needed at all Greg - there's loads of companies Far East all producing similar looking machines - key is in the QC checking and individual factory competence. Taiwan build is generally superior to China quality - OAV Taiwan are very highly regarded by the way and offer a vast range of machinery - The 16BX was a well built machine too compared with others out there when I was selling it. Cheers (y)

No apologies needed at all Greg - there's loads of companies Far East all producing similar looking machines - key is in the QC checking and individual factory competence. Taiwan build is generally superior to China quality - OAV Taiwan are very highly regarded by the way and offer a vast range of machinery - The 16BX was a well built machine too compared with others out there when I was selling it. Cheers (y)
Nick, do Laguna manufacture or outsource production?

Nick, do Laguna manufacture or outsource production?
Depends what you mean - they predominately use one TW factory for a lot of the machines that we sell (bandsaws / lathes / drum sanders) & Laguna own the Tooling / design rights. This factory only make for Laguna as far as I am aware so there is a huge tie up between them.
Some other machines (T Saws / Cyclones) they outsource to other well known TW factories who also make for the likes of Dewalt etc but again Laguna own the design rights to their machines, so the factories that make them cannot offer them to anyone else in a different colour.
Laguna USA have staff based in TW for QC etc.
I don't know about their CNC side of things as we haven't started on that side of it yet.
Cheers

I had a look for the guides in question and cannot find out which guides you have.
Can you post a picture of the broken part?
Guessing it's cheap pot metal casting, and a replacement will likely be made of the same thing, if the same design and not an upgrade.

Something might be just the thing for the job, and get you going again, instead of
paying a large amount on a replacement.

Tom
It is the casting that sits under the table and holds the 3 guides. The top part that holds the “rear guide” is the part of the casting that’s broken. I’ll see if I can take a photo (but it’ll be like painting your hall through the letterbox!)

Depends what you mean - they predominately use one TW factory for a lot of the machines that we sell (bandsaws / lathes / drum sanders) & Laguna own the Tooling / design rights. This factory only make for Laguna as far as I am aware so there is a huge tie up between them.
Some other machines (T Saws / Cyclones) they outsource to other well known TW factories who also make for the likes of Dewalt etc but again Laguna own the design rights to their machines, so the factories that make them cannot offer them to anyone else in a different colour.
Laguna USA have staff based in TW for QC etc.
I don't know about their CNC side of things as we haven't started on that side of it yet.
Cheers
Thanks Nick. I have been mulling a new bandsaw for sometime and have been amazed at how many are the same machine in a different livery. Your BX14 is a candidate for me - just wanted to be sure it wasn't coming from mainland China.

Latest posts

Back