Jet jwbs-16x Any good, worth changing mine?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

technium

Established Member
Reaction score
Need abit of advice,

I currently have a Dewalt BS1310 bandsaw which I do find myself using quite abit and I have just noticed that Axminster have a Jet JWBS-16x on special reduced from £1650 to £1100, so was wondering would the Jet be much different to mine now and how?

Ive had a go at bandsaw boxes and my BS was struggling on 5" thick cuts so would the Jet cope better?

Any help would be appreciated. thanks.

Thanks mate, I guess I will wait then and check out the Record. My main concern is power as my Dewalt doesnt seem strong enough, I take it the Record has plenty of guts?

thanks

I have the earlier Elu version of the bs1310 and it is a handy little machine. I upgraded to a Startrite 351 but have kept the Elu so i don't need to change blades so often. I tend to use the Elu with a narrow blade. I don't think it would fetch much if I sold it on anyway, and I have enough room for both - just.

K

technium":1d59ms29 said:
Thanks mate, I guess I will wait then and check out the Record. My main concern is power as my Dewalt doesnt seem strong enough, I take it the Record has plenty of guts?

thanks

Mine has plenty of guts... i've re-sawn pretty much the full depth of 300mm with no trouble at all. I've made a bandsaw box on it recently too. Some decent blades and set up properly and I find it great, and well worth the money... Even though it seems to be half the price of others with comparable capacity! It doesn't get full time use though, but I would describe myself as a medium to heavy hobby user

Go and look at the Record and Jet and compare rigidity, plastic versus cast wheels, tensioner etc. They are in a different market segment to each other. Max capacity claims are just that : " claims ". Think about what you are actually cutting and go from there. Jet will withstand trade use, Record - it's a DIY machine really. At that price it is a no brainer.

Just watched the video on the Axminster site for the Jet JWBS-16X, and am a bit confused, Axminster say this saw comes with a re-saw post (?) and then show the post in place when rip cutting, what is the use of this post, if any.

And does this Bandsaw really not have a de-tension lever?

Under 1.5hp motor compared to the Record 2hp, both have those horrible rubbing blocks as side blade guides, at this sort of level can't we have correctly positioned ball raced bearings, rubbing blocks are just plain wrong.

Mike

P.S. The record has Cast Wheels not plastic.

Thanks guys. Ive had a look at both but too be honest I dont really know what good or not good and as Mikejhn has said, I wouldnt have known about the rubbing blocks etc.

AJB are you saying the Record or the Jet is the better machine, Im not sure what one youre recommending?

Mike, as you dont seem to be in favour of the Jet, do you have any other suggestions around that price bracket?

Too be honest other than bandsaw boxes at the moment im not sure what I would use it for but I guess I want something fairly future proof for when my skills and uses for it do increase.

thanks again

Colin.

To answer your question, the Jet is a better made and more rigid machine than the Record and at that price between the two the Jet is a no brainer. I had exactly this buying choice (also considering Axi trade, Felder, Startrite etc) and for my budget and needs I went with the Jet and have been very happy with it. This was after testing out the Record in another forum member's workshop. I could not justify the extra spend on an Italian machine.

I did an honest review on this site so you could hunt that down - I can never make links work for some reason on here.

This review might be worth including in your scope since I was in exactly your position 3 years ago. The jet was on my short list too but the extra depth under the guides (a significant amount) was critical to me. I was also sceptical about manufacturer marketing claims regarding capacities etc so I was painstaking in my attempts to be objective and only publish results (and therefore conclusions) based on actual measurable data. This is the review and beneath the link I've cut and pasted the summary. I strongly recommend you read the whole review as it was thorough, objective and reasonable.

topic78828.html

This is the abstract from the summary.....

That test is in my humble opinion....definitive. This saw is absolutely superb quality. I will confess to having encountered quite a bit of bandsaw snobbery which centres around a sort of status issue of European vs Far Eastern made machines during my journey to make a choice. Part of the reason for doing these tests was to be completely objective and base conclusions on measurable results rather than peoples opinions. I hope this review has helped highlight some of the reality versus myth for this particular saw.

My conclusions are:

Pro's

Very quiet and smooth running.
Very robust construction of all major components, bandwheels, table, fence mount, trunion, frame, guides
Tensioning assembly works to the stated capacity of the manufacturer
Accurate and precise in table, fence, blade setup
power and capacity
only requires 13amp supply
design well thought through with things like the ability to take the rip fence off with no hassle
Results - far exceeded my expectations for capacity, feed speed, accuracy

Con's

Extraction not great
there is a part of the fence mount assembly that is just higher than the table so long pieces are slightly tipped up though it didn't impact performance

Just looking at the guides on the bs400 and they look different to mine. Do you still have the blade guides nearly touching the blade but have them behind the teeth as per the snodgrass video or as they are alot larger on the bs400 do they cover the teeth area aswell?? Probably obvious but thought id better check.

Also are there any chances of getting discount codes for RecordPower, I know Axminster dont normally do any.

thanks

Colin

Excellent :)

The deal with Record Power on discounts is straightforward. If you choose that route then buy it from one of their road shows. Each year they travel around their dealer network on "open days" or "show days" of one sort or another (like the Yandles Spring and Autumn shows and the D&M tool show at Kempton Park in October).

Specifically on those days you can either turn up in person or do as I did and just telephone the RP rep on site and they typically offer exactly £100 off the published price PLUS free delivery. Thus I paid £799 for my BS400 as the published price was £899 and it was delivered free. Delivery is normally £100 on top. Thus by taking the path I recommend you save £200 which is not to be sniffed at. You need to negotiate the free delivery by the way :)

I'm now 3 years on from that purchase and the review and literally nothing has gone wrong with the machine yet and it's been cutting plenty of green log material for turning blanks. I remain as impressed with it's performance today as I was back then, absolutely solid.

Greatest lesson I've learned about bandsaw opinions on this forum....buyer beware!! There is definitely an echo chamber here and there is definitely plenty of snobbery against far eastern made machines. It was precisely for that reason I conducted tests that removed opinion from the conclusion gathering. My conclusions are based on honest and open observable evidence with repeatable results.

I'll venture another observation too for nowt, in my view the BS350 is almost certainly another good machine but once you go below that capacity, the record range become a lot lighter weight in every sense of the word and I started with a BS300 many years ago. I've done no tests whatsoever on the 350 so am breaking my own logic by pronouncing on it but it's very similar, feature for feature to the 400 which of course is tested and I know the 300 ie the one below.

I don't doubt for one second the Jet will be a well built machine and I also looked closely at the 18" throat version because I wanted a foot capacity under the guides for big bowl blanks. But it was pretty expensive, didn't have a 5 year warranty and the capacities for the 16" version were rubbish compared to the BS400. In the end, I started to find homes for the money I would save!!! The bottom line is that if the 400 does everything I need and the only thing stopping me was "Far Eastern" doubt related to amorphous views about quality then......that's what I mean by the bandsaw snobbery, I even suffered it in my own mind when I was making this decision!! Once I'd got it and performed the tests, I realised I'd made the right choice. In point of fact, shortly after that review was published, the BS400 became a huge best seller because the review became the No 1 hit in Google for a while :) Record Power had no stock for months as they were flying out!! (No I'm not on commission...wish I was).

So, each to their own in terms of what floats your boat about tools. Personally, it had to do the job I asked of it, not empty my bank account and keep going for a long time or get fixed if it broke. I'll stick my neck out and say it's the best value versus quality bandsaw in it's class.

Thanks Bob, its a great review and im still reading the many many comments on it and I do like the fact that you tested it and comment on how it was for you. I know people are going to have good and bad reviews on all equipment so no doubt theres people here that dont like the BS400 but so far it ticks all the boxes for what im thinking I might need in the future.

I notice the Alexam upgraded to the Carter Stabilizer, is that something that needed to be done or is that only for using very thin blades? I guess im asking if I need to add that cost into the equation aswell?

My workshop is down the bottom of the garden down several steps and decking and the only route to it is through the house so I guess the delivery guy will just deliver to my front door? or will they help get it in the house and then I do the rest?

Not sure of any shows around my area (Dorset) so might not have a chance to try and get discount but will see if I can find anything.

Thanks again for your time with such a good write up.

Colin

Yandles is in Somerset :) Awesome place.

Alexam is big on making bandsaw boxes so he needs narrow blades (1/8") and that's why he uses the carter stabiliser. It's not necessary on larger blades although I never go below 3/8 and rarely even 1/2" in fact so perhaps Alexam will be along soon to see if it's necessary for 1/4" blades. As I say I've never gone that small.

Will the delivery driver help you shift it? Not sure, probably depends more on his personality to be honest because I doubt their insurance covers him for that. Have you got any strong friends :)

You're welcome on the review. The reason I did it was because I pity the poor sod who was in the same decision dilemma I was in 3 years ago. it's a minefield of choice and disinformation out there and I wanted to publish information that removed the "person" from the credibility of the evidence, that's why I only use observable data to inform any conclusions I draw.

Back