Jet JWBS-16 Bandsaw - electrical issues

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UPDATe - August 29th - I have a working bandsaw !

So I took the advice and went looking for a company who could rewind the obviously dead motor, and found a terrific bunch of guys in Edinburgh called Claremont Electric Services, who do electric motor rewinds.

They sorted out the motor and then found the problem with the switch, (which required trying to get a replacement on/off switch from ToolFrance, more of which later !), and fixed that, so yesterday put everything back together and I have a running and functioning bandsaw again, (and it didnt cost me an arm and a leg !).

The sage of the on/off switch - after rewinding the motor and testing it, the guys found a problem with the switch, so they contacted Axminster who pointed them at Tool France, who rightly said the switch is German, and will need to be imported - and then asked them cusotmer to go through the process of setting up all of the customs documentation to import the swtich.
Now ToolFrance are the UK disctributor for Jet, they proport to sell Jet spares, so they are the importer, so you got to wonder why they want the end user to do all of the customs documentation for importing something.
Anyway, after some investigations on the old internet, I found the same switch from the same manufacturer on Amazon of all places and paid about a 1/3 of what ToolFrance wanted to charge, and got it in three days, (ToolFrance were quoting a 6 week delivery time).
So my advice would be - if you need something from Tool France - try and find an alternative option, it could be a lot quicker and cheaper.

Thanks to everyone on here for the advice and help.

I'm glad you managed to find someone that could rewind the motor for an affordable price.....👍

Would you mind sharing with us how much it actually ended up costing...?
It may be useful to others to see how much in comparison to the £800 you were quoted for a new motor...

Sure - the motor rewind plus new swtich etc came in under £200, so including transport costs etc it worked out less than a 1/3rd of the cost of a replacement motor, and i'd definately recommend anyone in the same position taking the same route.

That was a bolted on bargain - if one of the motors on my various woodwork machines goes kaput, they look like the place to go!

Thanks for letting us know!

Kevin, just wanted to thank you for your detailed solution and rough costs. I have the same bandsaw and I think I have just had the same problem with its motor. Once I get the motor off and confirm it’s burnt out I’ll look at trying to do as you have done instead of wasting my time with a Tool France
Kind regards
Aled

Back