Jet JTS 600

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Rob,

Like yourself, I scoured the net looking for info on the Jet, and their's nothing.

I compared the Jet and the Record TS200c side by side in Grahams
( that's the dealer Karl mentions )

Their were good and bad points about it, I do remember the rise and fall being very nice, and in general the construction looked robust, the sliding table is a nice feature, and ran smoothly ( considering it was a demo machine and handled by many ) and the fact it can be removed, reducing the footprint, is what really caught my eye, and the weight was good for me.

However.......in a single garage, I had to get it right, I asked myself, was the ability to crosscut large panels essential? the answer was no, I have a TS55 and rail which would become redundant, and therefore a wasted investment.
Would I really keep taking the carriage off when I'd finished? probably not, we all get lazy :lol:

In the end though the real clincher was the fact that the TS200 was nearly £300 cheaper, with a 5 year guarantee, and o qual constructionand although the crosscut sled is not as big as the Jet, it works superbly for the size panel you're likely to use, I highly regard the Record.
It is a 250mm blade as well, don't know why they call it a TS200 :?

Even now if I had the space, I would still buy the Record.

The fact that were no write ups about the Jet never put me off, and I was glad I could compare side by side, if had the money, I could possibly be tempted by the Jet, but that's the only reasonand what else could you buy with £300 :wink:

It's hard making the right decision, I suggest, as you probably realise, that you should get "Hands On" and see for yourself.

Good luck

Jed

p.s Grahams in Chester don't have the Jet on display anymore.

Karl":2aysh646 said:
Rob - i've just remembered that I have a local(ish) Jet dealer in Chester. I may be going that way next week, so if I do i'll call in and have a look.

Cheers

Karl

You better pop in for a brew then :wink:

jedmc571":sef1l0vt said:
Hi Rob,

Like yourself, I scoured the net looking for info on the Jet, and their's nothing.

I compared the Jet and the Record TS200c side by side in Grahams
( that's the dealer Karl mentions )

Their were good and bad points about it, I do remember the rise and fall being very nice, and in general the construction looked robust, the sliding table is a nice feature, and ran smoothly ( considering it was a demo machine and handled by many ) and the fact it can be removed, reducing the footprint, is what really caught my eye, and the weight was good for me.

However.......in a single garage, I had to get it right, I asked myself, was the ability to crosscut large panels essential? the answer was no, I have a TS55 and rail which would become redundant, and therefore a wasted investment.
Would I really keep taking the carriage off when I'd finished? probably not, we all get lazy :lol:

In the end though the real clincher was the fact that the TS200 was nearly £300 cheaper, with a 5 year guarantee, and o qual constructionand although the crosscut sled is not as big as the Jet, it works superbly for the size panel you're likely to use, I highly regard the Record.
It is a 250mm blade as well, don't know why they call it a TS200 :?

Even now if I had the space, I would still buy the Record.

The fact that were no write ups about the Jet never put me off, and I was glad I could compare side by side, if had the money, I could possibly be tempted by the Jet, but that's the only reasonand what else could you buy with £300 :wink:

It's hard making the right decision, I suggest, as you probably realise, that you should get "Hands On" and see for yourself.

Good luck

Jed

p.s Grahams in Chester don't have the Jet on display anymore.

Jed - there are plenty of reviews of the Record on the t'interweb, and despite some naysayers hereabouts, it comes highly regarded by all the independent reviewers that have bought one or have had a look at one for a mag. Indeed, £300 is not to be trifled with and could be put to good use elswhere.
The Ax machine that Ed's getting hold of shortly is good, but is just too big and too heavy for my 'shop (at 12' wide) and with fairly light weight suspended floor.
The other advantage of the Record is that it weighs in at around 90kgs which would suit me even better...and it's a 5 year guarantee :wink: - Rob

Rob, just a thought. One of the problems seems to be the suspended floor in your workshop. Why can't you reinforce it so that it would take a heavier machine :-k

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Paul Chapman":hnj62wse said:
Rob, just a thought. One of the problems seems to be the suspended floor in your workshop. Why can't you reinforce it so that it would take a heavier machine :-k

Paul

It's on the 'tuit' list for later on this year Paul, but it still wouldn't support around 270kg's which is the weight of the Ax saw - Rob

woodbloke":2d2y4u0z said:
Paul Chapman":2d2y4u0z said:

Paul

It's on the 'tuit' list for later on this year Paul, but it still wouldn't support around 270kg's which is the weight of the Ax saw - Rob

What construction were you planning?

My floor is 8X2's at 400 centres, which I am confident will be OK with the saw, based on the Part A joist tables, as the span is only a couple of metres where the saw is going.

Ed

Mr Ed":2igoqhsj said:
woodbloke":2igoqhsj said:
Paul Chapman":2igoqhsj said:

Paul

What construction were you planning?

My floor is 8X2's at 400 centres, which I am confident will be OK with the saw, based on the Part A joist tables, as the span is only a couple of metres where the saw is going.

Ed

At the moment, because the K stuff is relatively light, I didn't initially bother with a heavy duty suspended floor, so I have a central single sleeper wall across a total 12' span, and 3x2" joists at 15" intervals. All the machines (apart from the planer) are directly over the sleeper wall (ie in the centre of the 'shop) which has been fine to date.
After all the existing machinery has been sold off, I intend to have the floor up and install two further sleeper walls each side of the existing one, so there will be a gap of 3' 'twixt each of the three sleeper walls. It'll then be covered in 25mm shuttering ply which ought [-o< to enough to bear the weight of new, heavier equipment, which will still be positioned over the central sleeper wall. Even so, I'm very wary of loading the floor too much...hence the reason for looking at stuff which isn't too heavy.
The bandsaw I'm after is the 16" Jet with the 10" doc...weighs in a 130kgs, same as the JTS 600 saw - Rob

The Approved Doc A tables don't go as small as 3X2, but the nearest; 4X2 will give you 1.5Kn/m2 UDL at 400 centres with a 1.9m span.

So with a bit of approximation, you have a smaller size but half the span, so you could probably get the same load; i.e. 150 KG/m2.

Ed

Mr Ed":3fmizmgg said:
The Approved Doc A tables don't go as small as 3X2, but the nearest; 4X2 will give you 1.5Kn/m2 UDL at 400 centres with a 1.9m span.

So with a bit of approximation, you have a smaller size but half the span, so you could probably get the same load; i.e. 150 KG/m2.

Ed
Ed...if I'm you understanding correctly, with my proposals for strengthening the floor, I could get away with something like the Jet 600 without too much concern?...and positioning wouldn't be too critical? - Rob

I would say so, but as I said the table doesn't actually show 3X2, so I took the next nearest and because your span is half what the 4X2 does I reckon it will be OK.

The other thing to bear in mind is that the 1.5Kn (150KG) per m2 is a UDL (Uniformly Distributed Load) which is a hypothetical thing, since in reality loads from machines will be point loads generally. As a rule the allowable point load will be lower than the UDL for the same design.

The load tables are also based on what the beam will perform to without excessive deflection, its not that its going to collapse at just over the stated load.

150KG is like a couple of people standing together. Presumably you would feel OK with that happening in your shop, so the machine should be no different.

You have to make a call based on common sense ultimately, but the load tables should give some assurance.

Ed

Rob, are you going to Ally Pally? I know Nick (JetMan) will be there and am certain the JTS-600 will be too. The Record and the SIP will probably be there too (they all were last year)

Hi

I bought the jet 600 some time ago as my first table saw but to be honest have not used it much, nor can I find anyone else who has bought one.

I use it in a single garage with no issues of space.

Andy

wizer":y6fdkxq9 said:
Rob, are you going to Ally Pally? I know Nick (JetMan) will be there and am certain the JTS-600 will be too. The Record and the SIP will probably be there too (they all were last year)

Hi Rob, just to confirm the above, I will be at Ali Pali with the JTS600 up and running - If you can make it, it's a good opportunity to look at the machine in the flesh. I'm with Frank Howard Tools from Essex, our stand is near the entrance.

Best regards to all
Nick
Brimarc Tools and Machinery

ps - I should also be wearing a UKWW badge (don't forget it Tom :) - I've made a note to pack some goodies for you mate)

Jetman":sh0asqxc said:
wizer":sh0asqxc said:

Hi Rob, just to confirm the above, I will be at Ali Pali with the JTS600 up and running - If you can make it, it's a good opportunity to look at the machine in the flesh. I'm with Frank Howard Tools from Essex, our stand is near the entrance.

Best regards to all
Nick
Brimarc Tools and Machinery

ps - I should also be wearing a UKWW badge (don't forget it Tom :) - I've made a note to pack some goodies for you mate)
Can't get to Ali Pali I'm afeard...too soon after YOKB and SWIMBO wouldn't be a happy bunny :( ...but one question, does the JTS 600 need a 16A supply as it's not clear in any of the literature? - Rob

I hear yah Nick :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

I'll have the van with me :wink: :wink: Say no more :wink: :wink:

:lol:

Jetman":3l6m3jor said:
Hi Rob, 13amp is fine on the JTS600
I've just had a natter on the 'phone to the techies at Axminster who say that 16A is definitely required for this saw...so now I'm confuzzled, which is it? :? - Rob

Back