Jet JTS 600

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbloke

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to find out some impartial reviews or information on this saw, but it's harder to come by than rocking horse teeth. Anyone got one, used one or can point me in the right direction? - Rob

Not used one, but had a good close look at one at Axminster.

If you are thinking of it as a replacement for the Kity 419 I',m not sure you gain anything on capacity as its still a 200mm blade. It has a very limited ripping capacity with the fence as well.

It felt like good quality, but just too small.

Final item is wether you want the euro style saw where the sliding table is right next to the blade. Personally I decided that I wanted some fixed table to the left of the blade.

Initially I was hopeful that it might fit the bill as a replacement saw for me, but it missed out on a few categories.

Ed

Hi

I've seen one in the flesh. The blade is 250mm not 200mm.
It's the smallest panel saw that i know of. Contrary to popular belief
having the sliding carriage running near the blade improves accuracy
in cross cuts and reduces "drag". It also allows ripping waney edge boards.
Unfortunately (like all euro panel saws) it lacks a mitre slot on the right side
so any jigging it's a no-go. Also the right wing extension is made of pressed steel not cast iron but I don't think that would be of much importance.

Mr Ed":1fytpeo9 said:

If you are thinking of it as a replacement for the Kity 419 I',m not sure you gain anything on capacity as its still a 200mm blade. It has a very limited ripping capacity with the fence as well.

Final item is wether you want the euro style saw where the sliding table is right next to the blade. Personally I decided that I wanted some fixed table to the left of the blade.

Initially I was hopeful that it might fit the bill as a replacement saw for me, but it missed out on a few categories.

Ed
Ed - if you look at a lot of the professional tables with sliders, it runs right next to the blade, so I'm not too bothered in that respect. It's also 'Trade' rated as opposed to 'Light Trade' which I always try and go for. The issue of the missing slot isn't one that unduely concerns me as I don't use jigs anyway on the saw...and anyway, there's a slot in the slider. Ripping capacity is quoted as 610mm which is adequate for me. The main advantage in that it weighs in a 130kgs which is about right for my 'shop and I'm after a smaller table saw than the Ax one you bought recently - Rob

I'm sure Andy King reviewed one of these for Good Woodworking last year. I'll be damned if I can remember what he said though! :roll: Hopefully, he might see this thread and respond... (Or, you could PM him.) :)

To me, it just looks like the Record Power TS200 with a proper base, an outrigger for the sliding table and a coat of white paint. Most users of that one say it's a good saw for ripping timber; plenty of power and accuracy. I wonder whether the Jet model improves on cross-cutting capabilities?

woodbloke":3fc36abn said:
Mr Ed":3fc36abn said:

Ed
Ed - if you look at a lot of the professional tables with sliders, it runs right next to the blade, so I'm not too bothered in that respect. It's also 'Trade' rated as opposed to 'Light Trade' which I always try and go for. The issue of the missing slot isn't one that unduely concerns me as I don't use jigs anyway on the saw...and anyway, there's a slot in the slider. Ripping capacity is quoted as 610mm which is adequate for me. The main advantage in that it weighs in a 130kgs which is about right for my 'shop - Rob

Thats fine Rob - you did ask for opinions but it sounds as though you already know the answer to your question; if it fits all your requirements then its the saw for you.

Ed

Mr Ed":el1nnvwg said:
woodbloke":el1nnvwg said:
Mr Ed":el1nnvwg said:

Ed
Ed - if you look at a lot of the professional tables with sliders, it runs right next to the blade, so I'm not too bothered in that respect. It's also 'Trade' rated as opposed to 'Light Trade' which I always try and go for. The issue of the missing slot isn't one that unduely concerns me as I don't use jigs anyway on the saw...and anyway, there's a slot in the slider. Ripping capacity is quoted as 610mm which is adequate for me. The main advantage in that it weighs in a 130kgs which is about right for my 'shop - Rob

Thats fine Rob - you did ask for opinions but it sounds as though you already know the answer to your question; if it fits all your requirements then its the saw for you.

Ed
I know Ed, but I want to find if there's been any reviews done...at the moment I can't see any anywhere - Rob

For many of the same reasons quoted here Rob. But mainly based on gut feeling (no pun intended). To me, it doesn't hold the same feeling of quality that the rest of the range have. On paper it's an interesting concept. My opinion may be based on my preference for non sliding American style saws.

Not considering the SIP or Axi ?

wizer":2hu1b449 said:
My opinion may be based on my preference for non sliding American style saws.

Once you've used a Professional quality sliding panel saw you will never want to use a mitre gauge to cross cut again..

JHB

There's the rub. We're talking about small saws for small woodworking in small workshops.

I was in the presence of a proper Altendorf panel saw today and I think they are fantastic. but its pretty much the same size as my workshop. ;)

Rob - I think that saw looks pretty good. I don't think it's the same as the Record - I thought that had a 200mm blade?

The specs look good. Nice power. Good looking x-cut table. Like you I wouldn't find the lack of a mitre gauge an issue - the only jig I use in my saws mitre track is a x-cut sled - superseeded if you've got a good table built in.

As you say, it'd be nice to see what reviews said about it. If I find anything i'll report back.

Cheers

Karl

Karl":8c3uxozh said:
As you say, it'd be nice to see what reviews said about it. If I find anything i'll report back.

Cheers

Karl
Karl - I've been digging for a few days now...can't find nowt, but as you say, the saw looks good - Rob

Rob,

I saw (no pun intended) one of these in Norwich with Woodyalan and I can't remember what put us off but something did. I think it was the sliding part.

Jetman Nick was demonstrating the saw and I remember clearly that he had a strong word for the Jet super saw in comparison.

Alan may remember, and I am no expert as I have never used a table saw. They frighten me. :oops:

Although I am waiting to hear Ed's verdict on the axminster.

Tony.

Rob - i've just remembered that I have a local(ish) Jet dealer in Chester. I may be going that way next week, so if I do i'll call in and have a look.

Cheers

Karl

Karl":hnixb2lk said:
Rob - i've just remembered that I have a local(ish) Jet dealer in Chester. I may be going that way next week, so if I do i'll call in and have a look.

Cheers

Karl
Karl - if you're passing by that way, I'd be very grateful - Rob

As Tony says we had a look at one of these in Norwich at a show. My memory of it was of being unimpressed. It is hard to recall now exactly what it was that disappointed I can only think it lacked the quality and heft that the rest of the Jet range is known for. Although this memory does seem at odds with Ed's more recent impression. On paper it adds up, in the flesh I think there are other strong contenders.
I think I would be giving the sliding table another good hard look to see what the quality of the fitting and bearings are like.

Alan

Woody Alan":3okm0jey said:
As Tony says we had a look at one of these in Norwich at a show. My memory of it was of being unimpressed. It is hard to recall now exactly what it was that disappointed I can only think it lacked the quality and heft that the rest of the Jet range is known for. Although this memory does seem at odds with Ed's more recent impression. On paper it adds up, in the flesh I think there are other strong contenders.
I think I would be giving the sliding table another good hard look to see what the quality of the fitting and bearings are like.

Alan

I think you're probably right about the lack of substance and heft Alan, which may be down to the smaller size of the saw. Its certainly not comparable to the Jet Supersaw for solidity.

One of the things I looked closely at was the fence, which is mounted on a large casting and seemed good to me. The action of the slider was stiff, but I often find these things are not put together correctly in the showroom, so may be unfair to judge on that.

Ed

Back