JET JTS 260 Table lock - Expression of Interest - Last call

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

9fingers

Established Member
Reaction score
A few forum members are now starting to have problems with the Jet JTS 260 planer thicknesser when used in thicknesser mode once the 'newness' of the machine as worn off

The problem is that under some conditions, the table can slowly work downwards so that a batch of timber instead of being thicknessed all to the same dimension varies from start to finish and theoretically from end to end of an individual piece.

I have designed a kit that can be easily retrofitted to this machine and the forum moderators have agreed that I can advertise and sell this kit through UKW as it is a fix for a specific problem.

Wizer has evaluated the kit and taken some pictures.

This is the basic machine with the table lock fitted

0007.jpg

and in this photo the lock fitted in combination with the digital readout supplied by Jet. This requires a shaft extension which I can supply if needed.
0010.jpg

Wizer has written up his findings during the evaluation of the prototype here
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... 200#488200

Ideally I would like to manufacture the kits in a single batch to keep the price down as low as possible.
I estimate the price to be in the range £30 - £40 plus postage.

If you would be definitely interested in buying a kit please PM me with your contact details including a direct email address.
Please specify if you have the standard dial or the digital readout type machine. The shaft extenders will be an extra £6 on top of the basic kit.

Regards

Bob

Bit of a rip off if you ask me :evil:

I have not read the whole Jet P/T thread but surely if this is a inherent problem which is known to the manufacturers, and according to their email to Dick they are aware of it, then they should supply a kit to correct it, either that or send owners a digital display, which they seem convinced will cure it. After all a Trade rated machine in the £1000 price range should not have these sort of problems.

dicktimber wrote:

Tom,
Just had a reply from switzerland tech dept.
They say they know that the friction locking( as they describe it) can be loose because there is no locking mechanism!!!!
( I know, they stated the obvious!)
but there is a locking mechanism on the 12" model.......(don't scream)

However they say that if a digital display is attached the problem should be fixed!!!*****
I have no idea how this fixes the problem but this is what they are saying.

I hope the mods to the base cure the problem....will you let me know, please

I am sure that those members with machines either showing this problem, or those worried that it might start in the near future, are very happy that we have a brain box called 9 fingers who has the aptitude to come up with a cure. Well done Bob =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Cheers

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for your comments.

Accused of being a rip off and given applause in the same email. :roll: :lol:

Having looked at Wizers digital display, there is no way that this can have any locking effect on the table. At best, it can tell you if the table has moved and enable it to be adjusted back to the original setting.

My Table Lock kit gives a positive locking action and has been shown to be Wizer-proof to boot. What more recommendation is needed? :lol:

Bob

Poor choice of words I think Mike? I think you are saying that the Jet machine itself is a rip off? I don't actually agree with that. I'm still very impressed with it and now I have the lock in place I can't think of another fault with the machine. I do think Jet have acted poorly. But I don't know what's happening behind the scenes. I would hope they either have plans to supply their own fix or will use Bob's. If you are saying Bob is ripping people off with this fix then I think that's outrageous. Bob doesn't own this machine, he just wanted to help me out with a fix. In doing so he has realised that he can help others who have this problem. But he can't do it for free, can he? £40 seems very reasonable when you think that the thicknessing mode is effectively useless if the table doesn't stay still.

9fingers":1ivkedzi said:
Mike,

Thanks for your comments.

Accused of being a rip off and given applause in the same email. :roll: :lol:

Having looked at Wizers digital display, there is no way that this can have any locking effect on the table. At best, it can tell you if the table has moved and enable it to be adjusted back to the original setting.

My Table Lock kit gives a positive locking action and has been shown to be Wizer-proof to boot. What more recommendation is needed? :lol:

Bob

Wizer wrote;

Poor choice of words I think Mike? I think you are saying that the Jet machine itself is a rip off? I don't actually agree with that. I'm still very impressed with it and now I have the lock in place I can't think of another fault with the machine. I do think Jet have acted poorly. But I don't know what's happening behind the scenes. I would hope they either have plans to supply their own fix or will use Bob's. If you are saying Bob is ripping people off with this fix then I think that's outrageous. Bob doesn't own this machine, he just wanted to help me out with a fix. In doing so he has realised that he can help others who have this problem. But he can't do it for free, can he? £40 seems very reasonable when you think that the thicknessing mode is effectively useless if the table doesn't stay still.

I give up in utter despair ](*,) ](*,) Bob if you care to look back at a number of my posts you will find that I have done nothing but compliment you for your knowledge. And this has all happened since your advice on that ebay auction of that 3 phase drum sander saved me making a big mistake and wasting my money. And that is exactly what I have done above ](*,)
Why would I call you a rip off and then applaud you from coming up with such an excellent idea which basically saved Wizer and god knows how many others from a major headache with an unusable thicknesser.

As for the digital display I NEVER said that it would work, I was only making a point that if the manufacturers were so convinced that fitting this would cure their problem then they should send them a free one. That way the owner would be able to fit it with your cure and end up with a nice system.

Tom my rip of claim was in answer to the email Dick got from Switzeland (why else would I quote it). In other words they are aware of the problem, but were not going to help those with machines effected by this, and could only recommend getting the display. ](*,)

Bob all I can say is that I wish you had thought it through and realised that it would not make sense to call you a rip off and then appalled you. I really cannot believe that after the money you saved me, out of all the members on the forum I would call you a rip off.

Cheers

Mike

Mike - on initial reading, it does look like you are referring to Bob wrt the "rip off" comment. But having read your entire post, it is clear (at least to me) that that isn't what you meant.

Cheers

Karl

Calm down Mike. I wrote "Poor choice of words I think Mike?" hence I was trying to say that what you had posted was confusing.

Mike,

Did you not see the smiley faces in my post?

I have not taken any offence whatsoever and like Karl saw the two ways in which your post could be interpreted.

Can we kiss & make up??

Bob

9fingers":yvmvfl7t said:
Mike,

Did you not see the smiley faces in my post?

I have not taken any offence whatsoever and like Karl saw the two ways in which your post could be interpreted.

Can we kiss & make up??

Bob

Yeah alright give us a big sloppy one :lol: :lol:

When I read yours and Toms posts I just could not believe it and all smiley's went out the window, but after what Karl said I read my post again and yes I can now see what you and Tom mean. I should have put my rip off thought just after Dicks quote :roll:

I do not know if you noticed Tom but I did not mention Jet because I am unsure if they manufacturer absolutely everything they sell (I do not know either way), and as a great deal of my workshop is made up of their stuff I think they are an excellent company. But if this is one of their own machines they have dropped the ball when they did not fit a lock.

Anyway great cure Bob,

Dibs wrote;

9fingers wrote:

Can we kiss & make up??

Can you go get a room or something?

The rest of us don't need to see.

Why Roy I thought you were open minded :lol: :lol:

Cheers

Mike

I now have one highly probable and two firm orders for table locks

If anyone else is interested please let me know.

I quite expect to only have one production run for these locks

Cheers

Bob

PS These will only fit the JET 260 P/T

9fingers":1t0bvrj7 said:
I now have one highly probable
PS These will only fit the JET 260 P/T
...that's me :lol: as discussed yesterday Bob, many thanks for the use of the table saw btw and tour of the 'shops. More accurate to call it a 'definite' though - Rob

OK Rob I'll move you into the definite column on the spreadsheet.

We spoke about the readout yesterday. I should mention that the jet one is a mechanical readout with cyclometer type dials counting turns of the shaft. it does not have a reset button so reads relative thickness.

I just wanted to clarify as we went on to look at my electronic Wixey display on my thicknesser and it does not work the say way at all.

I'll put you down for a readout version as the 260 is definitely better for having a readout than not.

It was good to show you round and thanks for not throwing a fit when you saw my TS fitted with neither riving knife or guard (my personal preference only).

Bob

9fingers":ycp7i64d said:
I'll put you down for a readout version as the 260 is definitely better for having a readout than not.

I wouldn't have agreed with that until I bought one. But now I have, it's brilliant and very useful. But of course not as nifty as a proper digital wixey style gizmo.

9fingers":33aysqsw said:
OK Rob I'll move you into the definite column on the spreadsheet.

We spoke about the readout yesterday. I should mention that the jet one is a mechanical readout with cyclometer type dials counting turns of the shaft. it does not have a reset button so reads relative thickness.

I just wanted to clarify as we went on to look at my electronic Wixey display on my thicknesser and it does not work the say way at all.

It was good to show you round and thanks for not throwing a fit when you saw my TS fitted with neither riving knife or guard (my personal preference only).

Bob
Ta Bob. After our natterings yesterday my mind's finally made up regarding the p/t. I did think that the readout looked mechanical as opposed to t'other, but by all accounts it seems to work well so that would be included in the purchase.

As to me throwing a hissy, when has it ever been known on the forums for such an unlikely event ever to have happened :wink: :lol:

On second thoughts.... :oops: - Rob

Rob if you're ever over this way, you'd be more than welcome to come look at the machine with Bob's Lock. Shall we call it 'The Boblock'? :lol:

Latest posts

Back