Jet JTS 250 Supersaw - Modification Recommendations please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlie Woody

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought this a couple of years ago. It is a good machine but I am unhappy with two aspects which I would like to modify if someone can help me please.

Firstly the mitre gauge that attaches to the sliding table is slow to take on / off and very fiddly to get accurate. I have built a cross cut sled, but don't like it because (1) it won't work with the crown guard in place so risky (2) it takes up too much space when off (3) only works for 90 degrees! unless you make more for different angles (4) dust flies everywhere. So I would like to be able to cross cut & mitre very accurately with very little set up each time and with crown guard in place & good dust extraction.

Secondly the dust collection is poor, possibly because the "cabinet" is a large space with the motor etc only taking up a small part of the area. Also some of the extractor airflow is directed to the crown guard. So this needs improvement.

Has anybody successfully overcome these difficulties please?

I remember reading an excellent article in fine woodworking about dust collection in table saws. There was some great ideas. The overall principle to improving the dust collection is seal up the saw like a lunch box with only two air penetrations - at the blade and at the extract hose.

The challenge was then close out all the openings. Duct tape and card board was used but large opes had to be closed in a manor that would resist some air pressure. The best idea for me was the use of fridge magnets for the angle alignment 'slot' where the depth adjustment wheel is. The magnets can be easily moved around as required.

Flat rectangular fridge magnets, not the chesty/leggy Spanish woman from holidays in the canaries or the beer bottle opener that's stuck to my fridge...

Eoin

eoinsgaff":133vc2p8 said:
I remember reading an excellent article in fine woodworking about dust collection in table saws. There was some great ideas. The overall principle to improving the dust collection is seal up the saw like a lunch box with only two air penetrations - at the blade and at the extract hose.

The challenge was then close out all the openings. Duct tape and card board was used but large opes had to be closed in a manor that would resist some air pressure. The best idea for me was the use of fridge magnets for the angle alignment 'slot' where the depth adjustment wheel is. The magnets can be easily moved around as required.

Flat rectangular fridge magnets, not the chesty/leggy Spanish woman from holidays in the canaries or the beer bottle opener that's stuck to my fridge...

Eoin

I believe you are referring to this stuff??

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190788541833? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Thanks guys. Do either of you, or anybody else, have any personal experience of these solutions and if so how well did it work?

Also any suggestions for the first part of my query re sliding table / mitre gauge please?

Charlie Woody":35i1z0oi said:
Also any suggestions for the first part of my query re sliding table / mitre gauge please?

I have a solution to the sliding table / mitre gauge problem. It may not be what you're after but it works on a Record Power TS250RS :)
The miter slot in the sliding table on a Record Power is not standard 3/4" and as such no standard after market mitre gauge will fit. One way round this is to make your own mitre sliding bar and replace the one that comes with the gauge. Alternatively you can modify the saw so a standard mitre gauge fits, which is what I did with an Incra mitre gauge.

P1010752.JPG

P1010754.JPG

P1010756.JPG

P1010757.JPG

Hope this helps.

Mark

Krysstel":1mkkt4w3 said:
Charlie Woody":1mkkt4w3 said:

I have a solution to the sliding table / mitre gauge problem. It may not be what you're after but it works on a Record Power TS250RS :)
The miter slot in the sliding table on a Record Power is not standard 3/4" and as such no standard after market mitre gauge will fit. One way round this is to make your own mitre sliding bar and replace the one that comes with the gauge. Alternatively you can modify the saw so a standard mitre gauge fits, which is what I did with an Incra mitre gauge.

P1010752.JPG

P1010754.JPG

P1010756.JPG

P1010757.JPG

Hope this helps.

Mark

Hi Mark
Thanks for the suggestion. I think from the photos you have added a piece to the sliding beam with a slot to take the Incra mitre gauge,is that correct?

My left hand table is cast iron - not sure if I can or want to try drilling holes in it to take the extra piece. However that has got me wondering if I could find the fixed table that Jet did to swap for my sliding one. I think the fixed one had a mitre slot which may allow the use of an after market mitre gauge.

Your Incra looks impressive & expensive!

I purchased the fixed left extension wing from the US last year. I wanted it to help support a large crosscut sled as it has an extra mitre slot.

keithkarl2007":1cfy3tsp said:
I purchased the fixed left extension wing from the US last year. I wanted it to help support a large crosscut sled as it has an extra mitre slot.

I take it from that you could not source it in Europe? Who did you get it from in the US please?

Hi Charlie, good news is I just checked with the office, and was suprised to learn that we still have a few of these left hand fixed cast beds left over from when we sold the Supersaw.

Catalogue price is £53.23 ex vat

Part number is Jet000311

Edit: unless it's yourself that has just ordered one from a company in Leeds? then we are now down to just one left! - I have just reserved it via one of my accounts incase you wish to buy it - if you pm me I can give you the details

Hope this helps
Best regards
Nick
Jet
Brimarc

Charlie Woody":f09t3npa said:
Hi Mark
Thanks for the suggestion. I think from the photos you have added a piece to the sliding beam with a slot to take the Incra mitre gauge,is that correct?

My left hand table is cast iron - not sure if I can or want to try drilling holes in it to take the extra piece. However that has got me wondering if I could find the fixed table that Jet did to swap for my sliding one. I think the fixed one had a mitre slot which may allow the use of an after market mitre gauge.

Your Incra looks impressive & expensive!

Yes, that's precisely what I did. I made a long, narrow box from MDF which I painted green. It's attached with t-bolts to the t-slot in the side of the sliding table. I then reproduced the side t-slot with a length of t-track so I could still mount the swing frame. The 3/4" miter track in the top is the exact length of the Incra miter bar so the guage just drops in. Both the t-track and miter-track came from Rutlands. I bought the Incra guage some time ago direct from the US.

Mark

Charlie Woody":2hhmind3 said:
Thanks guys. Do either of you, or anybody else, have any personal experience of these solutions and if so how well did it work?

Yes, I have the magnetic sheet on my saw protecting the slot where the arbour travels when the blade is tilted. It is very effective and can be cut very easily with scissors.

David

Jetman":1f30syc5 said:
Hi Charlie, good news is I just checked with the office, and was suprised to learn that we still have a few of these left hand fixed cast beds left over from when we sold the Supersaw.

Catalogue price is £53.23 ex vat

Part number is Jet000311

Edit: unless it's yourself that has just ordered one from a company in Leeds? then we are now down to just one left! - I have just reserved it via one of my accounts incase you wish to buy it - if you pm me I can give you the details

Hope this helps
Best regards
Nick
Jet
Brimarc

Thanks Nick, that last one is on it's way to me!

Bluekingfisher":2z3jdcr4 said:
eoinsgaff":2z3jdcr4 said:

Eoin

I believe you are referring to this stuff??

Just ordered some of that stuff. Thanks for the link.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190788541833? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Back