JET JTS 250 CS

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flanajb

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Scheppach TS2000, and am thinking about upgrading it to a bigger machine with a better ripping capacity. I have found one of these for ~ £1000 and just wanted to get opinion from those in the know.

Sort of things I would like to find out.

1. Is the sliding table any good. I am always jubious of sliding tables that don't have an underneath support arm.

2. How far out does the cross cut extension arm extend too as I cannot find this information out.

Thanks

I have one and it's very good indeed, I use mine in a single garage, and there's just about enough room to work around it. I can't understand why on earth they stopped making it.

The sliding table is quite small but very good once it's set up, which does take a little fiddling, and once it's done, it's done! The crosscut arm is only about 600mm long, but there's nothing stopping you clamping/bolting a longer timber with a stop on it to the arm.

In all honesty this is probably the best saw I've come across for the smaller workshop and I'd be totally gutted if I had to give it up and replace it with anything currently on the market.

Cheers
Aled

Aled Dafis":2ocdpieq said:
I have one and it's very good indeed, I use mine in a single garage, and there's just about enough room to work around it. I can't understand why on earth they stopped making it.

The sliding table is quite small but very good once it's set up, which does take a little fiddling, and once it's done, it's done! The crosscut arm is only about 600mm long, but there's nothing stopping you clamping/bolting a longer timber with a stop on it to the arm.

In all honesty this is probably the best saw I've come across for the smaller workshop and I'd be totally gutted if I had to give it up and replace it with anything currently on the market.

Cheers
Aled
Thanks Aled. It does look like a robust machine and good value.

Flan
I would second what Aled said. I've had mine for about 6 or 7 years now and whilst it was a real ba@@@rd to set up I persevered and have never had to do it since. It is rugged, quiet, powerful and dependable. I have modified mine over the years with a US spec arbor, and built in cast iron router table and to say I am delighted with it is an under statement. The sliding table in not really designed for cross cutting sheets but for finer work and joinery which it excels at. I would say that mine is the previous model with the half depth cabinet on short legs but I believe mechanically they are the same. With all the usual caveats of buying second hand, you won't be disappointed with the quality of the saw.
Hope that helps, let me know if you need anything else.
Cheers
Richard

Hi.

I've got this saw since 2008 and although it's a pretty decent saw I think it over-promises a bit. I mean, the specification is very good but under the hood/bonnet it shows some flaws. more specifically:
- the rip fence comes with a 'micro-adjustment' which is completely useless.
- the rip fence cannot be adjusted to be square to the table (vertically).
- the saw blade insert has set screws for adjustment but it is not ribbed enough underside so it flexes, besides mine came cupped. better replaced with a shop-made mdf one.
- the sliding table could be very good in theory, but it slides on thin gauged pressed steel tracks which can bend under weight. mine rises about 2mm above the main table when fully extended towards the operator, but becomes flush when moved forward to the opposite end. I've tried to fiddle with every set screw available in order to adjust it but I reckon it's a problem with one bent track.
- the rise and fall mechanism is based on a timing belt and the respective gears get easily clogged with dust making the operation very stiff.
- the motor is placed right under the saw blade so it collects all the dust, besides it has a proprietary foot mounted frame (not metric although the shaft is metric) which make
it difficult to replace with a standard one (mine had to be replaced, luckily under the warranty, because of a defective insulation)

Now, I don't mean to put you off, and I'm probably being picky because in the end of the day I can do decent woodwork with this tool, just don't expect that all the
bells & whistles work as supposed to.

This would have been my table saw of choice as well, but unfortunately they stopped making it a couple of years ago. Interesting though to see the niggles that others have had with it - Rob

Flan
I would second what Aled said. I've had mine for about 6 or 7 years now and whilst it was a real ba@@@rd to set up I persevered and have never had to do it since. It is rugged, quiet, powerful and dependable. I have modified mine over the years with a US spec arbor, and built in cast iron router table and to say I am delighted with it is an under statement. The sliding table in not really designed for cross cutting sheets but for finer work and joinery which it excels at. I would say that mine is the previous model with the half depth cabinet on short legs but I believe mechanically they are the same. With all the usual caveats of buying second hand, you won't be disappointed with the quality of the saw.
Hope that helps, let me know if you need anything else.
Cheers
Richard

Hi Richard. Just reading your comment about that you changed the arbour to the US spec. I bought my saw second hand and it came with a genuine Jet extended arbour to take dado etc. What did you have to do to the machine to replace the arbour? Can you do it without taking out the machine assembly ? Cheers Steve[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back