Jet Jml 1014

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brianbanfielf

Reaction score
Hi Guys
I'm new to turning and for my first lathe I’m considering buying the jet jml1014 advertised without chucks or faceplate . I’d welcome any comments and all device regarding the availability of accessories either jet or 3rd party in the uk

I have a jet 1014. I cannot remember the letters for the model number, but I think that they only did one variant. the later replacement was a 1015.

you won't have issues getting chucks and accessories for it. It is 1" x 8TPI which was the standard at the time (things seem to me m33 now) and MT2. The tailstock is quite shallow, so although the standard length things fit, you may find that a Jacobs chuck doesn't have as much travel on it as other lathes. It has never been a problem for me, even drilling long holes, you just have to work around it.

if you do buy it, I wouldn't bother with the jet accessories. They will have a limited range and be expensive for things like centres. All turning suppliers will carry MT2 and 1 " x 8 items. Work out what you need and see what is available.

Nice lathe, I really like mine. I would think though what you plan to turn. I bought mine because I was certain that I wouldn't want to turn bowls, but I do have the odd hankering to do so now and it isnt ideal for that. for pepper mills, pens, tool handles, it is brilliant. If you can get hold of the bed extension it is useful so that you can get the tailstock out of your way when needed, and it gives you more drilling options. The 14" length isnt a lot if you are holding the work in a chuck, and it is a 6" long workpiece, and you want to use a long drill, and have a Jacobs chuck in the tailstock... you are probably already out of room.

I happened to see that there were a couple of 1014s on ebay last night although I didn't see the location. might be worth a look.

I agree with all Marcros said.
I have that lathe bought as my first with the intention of turning mostly pens, it's a very capable little lathe and I bought a Record SC3 chuck kit and a set of pen drilling jaws the lathe is mostly used these days for drilling, sanding and finishing as I bit the bullet and bought an Axminster 1416 VS a few years ago.
Remember the Jet is not variable speed although that isn't necessarily an issue.

How about one of these?

https://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+premium-woodturning-lathe-with-variable-speed+R2000?tyah=y
Seems a lot of lathe for £400 new, eg variable speed, LED speed readout display, induction motor, lifetime warranty.

Anyone have any experience with one?
For exactly the same price, you can get the Axminster AC305WL - Axminster Craft AC305WL Woodturning Lathe which has near enough identical specification, apart from having two pulleys to cover the ranges rather than three.

While I am very happy with the Rutlands chuck I use with my Axminster lathe, if you have a choice with the same specification and price, I would always go Axminster over Rutlands.

For exactly the same price, you can get the Axminster AC305WL - Axminster Craft AC305WL Woodturning Lathe which has near enough identical specification, apart from having two pulleys to cover the ranges rather than three.

While I am very happy with the Rutlands chuck I use with my Axminster lathe, if you have a choice with the same specification and price, I would always go Axminster over Rutlands.
I was looking at an AC305WL before I bought my Jet 1221VS so am familiar with the specs, which I don't believe are anywhere near identical to the those offered by the new Rutlands lathe. Primarily, the AC305WL has a brush motor and you would need to step up to the £1000 trade rated Axminster AT350WL to get an induction motor. Also the AC305 does not have a speed read out so you don't know how fast it is turning. The guarantee on the AC305WL is only 3 years I believe.

Given a choice between the two I would take the Rutlands lathe over the Axminster every time.

I was looking at an AC305WL before I bought my Jet 1221VS so am familiar with the specs, which I don't believe are anywhere near identical to the those offered by the new Rutlands lathe. Primarily, the AC305WL has a brush motor and you would need to step up to the £1000 trade rated Axminster AT350WL to get an induction motor. Also the AC305 does not have a speed read out so you don't know how fast it is turning. The guarantee on the AC305WL is only 3 years I believe.

Given a choice between the two I would take the Rutlands lathe over the Axminster every time.

@ Rob - I'd be very surprised if that is in fact an induction motor at that price....Not saying it's not, but ....

Maybe a genuine mistake on the website spec?? I can even see brush caps on the motor in the image......

It looks almost identical to other generic Chinese brush motor lathes already out there.

@ Brian - the JML1014 was a great little starter lathe if you can get it at a good price & as long as you can work without var. speed and use belt changes. I sold loads of them in the past and very few issues.

Last edited:
I have a jet 1014. I cannot remember the letters for the model number, but I think that they only did one variant. the later replacement was a 1015.

you won't have issues getting chucks and accessories for it. It is 1" x 8TPI which was the standard at the time (things seem to me m33 now) and MT2. The tailstock is quite shallow, so although the standard length things fit, you may find that a Jacobs chuck doesn't have as much travel on it as other lathes. It has never been a problem for me, even drilling long holes, you just have to work around it.

if you do buy it, I wouldn't bother with the jet accessories. They will have a limited range and be expensive for things like centres. All turning suppliers will carry MT2 and 1 " x 8 items. Work out what you need and see what is available.

Nice lathe, I really like mine. I would think though what you plan to turn. I bought mine because I was certain that I wouldn't want to turn bowls, but I do have the odd hankering to do so now and it isnt ideal for that. for pepper mills, pens, tool handles, it is brilliant. If you can get hold of the bed extension it is useful so that you can get the tailstock out of your way when needed, and it gives you more drilling options. The 14" length isnt a lot if you are holding the work in a chuck, and it is a 6" long workpiece, and you want to use a long drill, and have a Jacobs chuck in the tailstock... you are probably already out of room.

I happened to see that there were a couple of 1014s on ebay last night although I didn't see the location. might be worth a look.
Thanks very helpful.i can’t make up my mind between the Jet, Axminster or Record power DML250. I take your point about the Jets between centres being restrictive

to add some further thoughts...

you say that you are new to turning, so the usual advice applies- it is best to join a club and get some hands on training. It may not be easy or possible at the moment. You need to consider what you plan to turn. My emphasis is occasional hobby turning of small items and long items.

I have looked at changing my lathe a few times. Never really that seriously, and a few things have stopped me. The below is all personal to me and what I use the lathe for.

Firstly, if I want to turn spindles, getting a bigger lathe doesn't really give me that much more capacity than the jet 1014 plus extension. I haven't done stool legs, but a high stool will probably be too long or at least pushing it. For must things at the length capacity of the lathe, the diameter would be a couple of inches max. According to internet specs on both, the floor standing axi one in their hobby range is about the same between centres. For a much larger footprint of lathe I wouldn't gain anything.

Secondly, my time is limited and I dont have the time to turn large bowls. There is another consideration of the cost of large blanks, or the cost/storage space needed for lumps of tree to season. It would emotionally destroy me to spend hours on a bowl and then to turn through the bottom of it. (sometimes my dad cuts the odd tree down and I could beg some pieces before it is chopped into firewood). As much as a large capacity lathe would interest me, I would rarely use it. large capacity needs mass to it.

Thirdly, I would like variable speed, but it isnt essential. I haven't used it so I haven't missed it. changing speed takes a few seconds. For out of balance items it is probably more useful than to anything that I turn. I would consider the slightly larger jet with VS, 1220 but again I would want/need the extension, so it is probably a round trip cost of several hundred quid for me for this feature and a little more bowl capacity.

Forth, I do hit the over bed capacity of the lathe from time to time. There is no workaround for this, you just have a limit to what you can turn. To be honest, it is usually on things like a clock face where the size is not really critical (unless you have promised somebody one of a certain size). I have to admit I absolutely hate turning at the capacity of the lathe. It sounds like an angry windmill out to get me and I cannot relax and enjoy it. I have only done it on fairly thin pieces, say 30 or 40mm thick max. this is not the lathe to put on 9" diameter x 9" long blanks. If you have any desire to do that, then I can offer no advice either than to not go for the 1014. I do like big wooden platters, but I dont have any wood for that or anywhere to display one. As an aside, if you did want to do a project that your lathe can't do, book a day's training with a pro and use their lathe and guidance.

If I were starting again, I would probably look through ebay for something massive and unnecessary. When I had got over that and not actually bought anything, I think (for the turning that I do), my shortlist would be the jet 1014 plus extension, the jet 1220 vs plus extension, the Axminster 1416vs, plus extension. The Axminster is interesting as a bench top lathe because it has a better bowl capacity than most. Its advantage is that it is compact for its capacity, but I would need the extension which nulls that.

After all that drivel, I haven't changed from what I have because for what I do it is ideal. If I was starting again, with a focus on bowls (ie occasional hobby turning of bowls and few long items) I would probably look at that Axminster.

Final point (I promise), I could turn a thousand pens, and still be unable to locate a single one in our house. I think that my the third wooden bowl entering the house I would be asked "why do we need another damn bowl", and within a short space of time everybody's Christmas list would be "anything except another bowl". nobody says dont get me a pen!!!

Last edited:
Thank you so much. It has given me food for thought, especially your comment about”why do we need another bowl”
I really need to work out what I intend to use it for!

Back