JET Jet JDP-15B-M Bench Pillar Drill reviews

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thedog

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking at buying a bench pillar drill mainly for woodworking use. I was thinking about one of the Axminster trade drills but I have now seen the Jet JDP-15B-M which looks pretty good but is expensive. Basically is it worth the cost?

Does anyone on here have this drill or used it or have any opinions or reviews about it. There are a few reviews on YouTube which all seem to be pretty good.

Thanks

Last edited:
Anyone have any thoughts on this? I was hoping someone on here having one of these drills.

Thanks

Probably not compared to old English drills.

But if you want a new drill with 1kw motor then it's ok.

You could get a record or axi with 750w for half the price. Gearing is just as important as power.

I would look out for a secondhand Meddings or similar. Its hard to justify this sort of spend on a drill, Having said that a new Meddings is 3x this price.
If you are dead set on a new drill. I bought a Nova Viking which is a few hundred more than the Jet, very well built, no play in the quill and variable speed 150 to 5000 with a good table and long quill travel. This was largely funded by the sale of two vintage drills, an Elliot 2GS and a Herbert type B. The Elliot was massive and too heavy to move and that was something I discovered that I needed to do in my situation. It was also really a metalworkers drill. The Herbert was at the other end of the scale but beautifully built. I have to say I dont miss the old drills at all but it is a lot of cash to spend on something to drill holes. In my case it is used a lot and regularly. Hope this helps.
nigel

I have the floor standing model of the Jet drill. Got it during one of Axminster's eBay used machine sales.

Its a nice bit of kit but I paid about £700 for it which is considerably less than its RRP.

My issues with it were the supplied no name chuck from Axi was trash, I replaced it with an Albrect and its now super accurate.

I also ended up getting a partial refund as Axminster lied about the condition, the plastic front on the head of the machine had loads of bits broken which had the been epoxied back in place (badly), ended up coming off in my hands one day. Luckily this happened within 3 months of me buying it so Axminster couldnt argue (and clearly knew).

I doubt I would pay full price for it given the choice. As its sole function is to drill holes, you could get a similarly accurate machine for far less money, admittedly with less bells and whistles.

Hi,

Thank you for your replies.
Westy619, I take it that the one you have is exactly the same but floor standing?
Problem is, its hard to find one somewhere in stock and on display to look at.
It is a lot of money for a bench drill but I have purchased a few over the years and found that the budget end of the market always tend be fairly poor quality in build and accuracy.

I do like the spec of the Jet on paper, but if its cheaply made it would just lead me to feel I have wasted my money.
How good is the Nova Viking compared to the Jet, are you just paying for features that are just a novelty or are you getting a far better drill?
As you say, its a lot of money for drilling holes,but then you can pay a lot of money just for a hand saw for cutting wood. Depends I suppose on budget and usage. I did purchase a Axminster Trade bench drill but it was poorly made (I returned it). Maybe I am just fussy but when you spend half decent money on something, I expect to get something that at least looks new and not like its been used with paint chips and roughly finished castings etc.

This will be 99% used for woodworking and will be used most days for batch drilling a number of parts.

I will look at whats available second hand but although I can restore old drills, I certainly have not got the time to take on such projects. I need to drill holes right out of the box :)

Thanks

Yes as far as I know, the specs are the same other than the floor standing part.

I do really like the machine, I initially thought it had problems but once I added a good quality chuck and drill bits, it highly accurate with very little measurable runout.

I also like the built in ligh and cross laser (laser is adjustable for accuracy). The belt change system with the quick tension mechanism is really good and does mean I actually change to the correct speed since its no longer a fafdlf to do.

I've never used the Nova machines but reviews seem to be pretty good. The digital controls look pretty good as well. Only concern I would have is, the more complex a machine is, the more parts can break and you may have a harder time sourcing bits and fixing it.

Let me know if there is anything on the Jet you want a closer look at, I can take some pictures/video if its any help?

I'm actually close to buying a Nova machine, but there's one or two issues which may well influence your choice - firstly, those sold in the UK do not have the laser 'sights' - not 100% sure why, so you'd have to buy an add-on one if you need that facility. Secondly, the motor and controller are only guaranteed for two years, the rest of the machine for five - to me, this is like saying they expect the motor/controller to last less than the five years of the rest of the machine. Other than that, I think they're good machines and I may yet end up owning one.

G.

Hey,
I recently bought one of the Nova Viking drills and I have been very impressed with the machine overall. I had been after a decent drill for ages and had the Jet as the forerunner until I discovered the Nova, the ease of changing speed via the knob on the front panel was what finally sold me on it. The controller also does a good job of maintaining constant speed in tougher materials and the auto start / stop is really handy as well! The lack of laser was a little disappointing initially but I tend to set up a fence and stops for repeat drilling anyway so not a massive deal for me and I don't think that I will bother to fit one! My earlier bench top drilll was at the other end of the spectrum so I feel that this is an incredibly well built and accurate tool by comparison - unfortunately I don't have any real experience with high quality drill press like the Jet so keep that in mind!

Cheers

I am in the same boat regarding the Jet, I have never owned or used it so it would be unfair to comment on the Jet. I can compare the Nova Viking with the Elliot 2GS I owned for 4 years. Having originally been given the Elliot for free. I had to spend a lot of time and even more money repacing worn out imperial sized bearings and fitting oil seals for the gearbox. The Elliot actually replaced an axminster ND16. The Axminster was OK but had limited quill travel. Some play in the spindle and a two belt pulley system that made it easier to mostly drill at one speed to avoid changing speeds.
When I had the Axminster, I was “sold” on the better built British machine reputation but in my case I got the wrong drill, the Elliot was really a metalworkers drill. To big, to heavy and dripped oil from the quill despite multiple new seals. Not handy when working with wood.
The Nova has no perceptible play in the spindle, equal in feel to the Elliot in this respect and completely variable speed with high torque at lower speeds. Regarding electronics, Nova have a good track record as it the same system used in their lathes. High current power control electronics are used in lots of applications now including electric cars with good reliability.
With the Nova and for each product I am making involves drilling Approx 250 holes. I have an orientation jig and the Nova auto start/stop and stop at set depth have proven for me to be unexpectedly worthwhile.
Everyone has a different use case and budget but for a woodworking application with lots of holes to drill its exceeded my expectations so far.
just my thoughts
Nigel

Hello everyone,

once again thanks for your replies. Its really does help when you get first hand reviews.
Personally for me could stretch to the Viking, but the real issue I have is buying blind and just going on reviews. I am sure both are excellent machines and would be far better than I expect, but its nice to actually see one before I spend my hard earned cash. Can't seem to find anyone who have these on display. I am in Devon so not really the best place to be for large tool shops or shows etc. Not sure if any woodworking shows are coming up this year, but that may be something to look out for.

For me this is a fairly large purchase so I don't want to buy one then feel disappointed with the quality. Just seems like to many things these days are made so cheap. Maybe I am being a bit over the top here, but I have purchased items before just to be disappointed with the quality. I don't expect much but at least you should get something decent when spending a grand on a bench drill, Which I am sure both the JET and Viking are.

Westy619, in your opinion do you think the Jet is built well. As in the casing and switch mechanism etc. I know its about drilling holes, but is the plastic work fairly robust and suitable for the job, or is it a bit flimsy and cheap? The castings and table etc look really good, and what I really like is the 'proper' depth stop instead on a flimsy strip of metal found on budget drills. I use a decent metalwork drill in work and its got a similar depth stop which is a pleasure to use. I think its these type of things that makes a difference. :)

Oh, well, but to trying to decide which way to go, Jet or Viking. I think th JET is my 1st choice out the two machines.

I know is only drills holes but its not a couple of hundred quid either.....

Thanks

Last edited:
Yeah the quality seems pretty good, I've got a Jet drum sander as well and both machines have a high quality feel to them. All the castings and metal parts feel robust, like I said mine had a broken plastic front panel when I got it but my guess is that it was dropped or tipped over... So just try and avoid doing that.... 😄

I get what your saying about being disappointed with build quality, I dropped almost 3k on a Laguna 18BX bandsaw a few months back only for it to be delivered with bearings and arbors covered in rust, paint all over supposedly machined flat surfaces and the thing shakes around like crazy when in use, all of which are non issues according to Laguna who closed my support request without fixing anything. Getting what you pay for doesnt seem to be a thing anymore...

Hi,

That's very disappointing about the Laguna. I have been there once or twice before which is way I just want to be sure.
Sorry to be a pain, but one last question.
I assume the top casing / housing is metal (Cast?) and the top belt housing cover is metal. Am I right in saying that its only the top front panel around the switches that is actually plastic? (See attached picture with arrows).
I assume that the white part of the casing must be cast and not just a plastic cover?

Thanks for you responses, its really appreciated.

Paul

Attachments

• image_2022-03-25_115926.png
    image_2022-03-25_115926.png
    164.7 KB · Views: 8
I Bought my Nova Viking from Machinery4Wood based in St Austell and also a Jet drum sander from them last year. They might be able to help with looking at both of the machines. Don’t know how close they are to you but hope this helps. They were very helpful and good to deal with in my experience.
nigel

No problem, the front panel where the switches are and the top panel covering the belts are both plastic, but neither feel flimsy or cheap. The white section is cast metal (iron presumably).

Hi,

That's very disappointing about the Laguna. I have been there once or twice before which is way I just want to be sure.
Sorry to be a pain, but one last question.
I assume the top casing / housing is metal (Cast?) and the top belt housing cover is metal. Am I right in saying that its only the top front panel around the switches that is actually plastic? (See attached picture with arrows).
I assume that the white part of the casing must be cast and not just a plastic cover?

Thanks for you responses, its really appreciated.

Paul

Hi

I saw the Jet 15 and Nova Viking side-by-side yesterday. Ie on same bench and next to each other

I am looking at Nova because of all the glowing reviews about quality (often cited as the best of the best) and hadn’t even thought about the Jet. BUT having seen both aside by side, I have to say, the visual quality of the Jet gives a much better impression than the Nova to the extent that I am confused and am seriously considering the Jet. IMHO the Jet is a *much* nicer finished machine in everything.

The Jet is some £200 cheaper. The Nova castings and paint finishes are much more inferior; the plastics are nastier; the table is not as smooth in operatIon, finish or size; and the chuck is not as nice; even the mechanical depth stop on the Jet was more pleasant to use than the Nova’s. All visual I know, but first impressions count!

For me the only thing the Nova has going for it is the ease of speed change because the Jet is going to be awkward for me to access the belts in the location I will be installing the bench versions. I am not sure that I am bothered about all of the other of the Nova’s bells and whistles so I am confused. I went with the intention of buying a Nova and came away to have a serious rethink.

Hope this helps

I've only drill and tapped a pair of holes to keep the (knee?) at a perfect 90
This could potentially be a weak spot, maybe more so on some.
SAM_5428.JPG

Back